Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible-Matthew Henry

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
DrewJ

Post by DrewJ » December 2nd, 2013, 6:05 pm

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc.i.html
I saw this on the Ambleside List, and it is something I would like do possibly as a solo.

Could this be broken down by book or volume? It would make the commentary easier to tackle.
This commentary is a great personal interest of mine, though if there are others interested, I would be more than willing to share. :lol:
When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won. -Second Witch
Read some poetry?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 2nd, 2013, 6:12 pm

there is a thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34844&start=60 for Matthew which one way and another has been going a long time, I would definitely suggest a book at a time of at least the major books - and that you didn't start with Matthew :D

Anne

DrewJ

Post by DrewJ » December 2nd, 2013, 6:18 pm

Plenty of other books to go with, thanks Anne.
When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won. -Second Witch
Read some poetry?

bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily » December 14th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Hello,

I am new to Librivox and have not yet volunteered; however, I have been a listener to various Librivox-narrated books for many years. I am visually-impaired, and this ready access to human-read Public Domain audiobooks has given my ears a needed break from all the computer-read books out there.

I am wondering whether anyone might be interested in reading and coordinating Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible by Matthew Henry, located at
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc.i.html

I realize that this would be quite an undertaking--the commentary is pretty exhaustive. However, it is a rich source of Christian instruction and Biblical doctrine, framing each chapter in a cultural and spiritual context that historically seems to have delighted many readers and Christian denominations. Throughout my time on Librivox, I haven't seen a Bible commentary with quite such a broad scope or audience in mind, so this project would be a new, unique addition to the collection. Perhaps this could be recorded over a period of several months as a collaborative, multi-reader project? Since I do not have access to adaptive equipment that would allow me to record any of the work in question, I would be happy to proof-listen. Let me know what you think!

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » December 14th, 2015, 5:54 pm

It is indeed a massive undertaking, and was commenced once but came to nothing. We then thought that it would stand a better chance if each book of the Bible were undertaken separately. The full commentary on Genesis is underway here, but is going very slowly, unfortunately. I hope that one day we will be able to complete the full commentary but, if I recall correctly, the whole thing runs to several million words and it is likely to be many years in the making.

The Concise Commentary on the Bible - Book of Matthew is complete and available here: http://librivox.org/concise-commentary-on-the-bible-book-of-matthew-by-matthew-henry/. That runs to about 4 hours.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily » December 14th, 2015, 6:44 pm

Thank you so much. I didn't realize that this had been suggested before, but will be looking at those links you provided.

ruthannsbaby

Post by ruthannsbaby » October 22nd, 2019, 8:42 am

Hello, I’m not sure where you all are in this and I’m new and probably should re-do orientation because it’s been a while since I signed up. Searching from this six column set in audio has brought me back to the idea of contributing to these audio recordings.

I’ll read up soon, but I am interested in contributing to this project and I have plenty of time on my hands.

ej400

Post by ej400 » October 22nd, 2019, 1:30 pm

ruthannsbaby wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 8:42 am
Hello, I’m not sure where you all are in this and I’m new and probably should re-do orientation because it’s been a while since I signed up. Searching from this six column set in audio has brought me back to the idea of contributing to these audio recordings.

I’ll read up soon, but I am interested in contributing to this project and I have plenty of time on my hands.
Hello and welcome to librivox! This project has already been completed (the last post in this thread before you and I was in 2015), but if you'd like to begin another version we'd be happy to get you set up and guide you around a little bit.

The first thing you may want to do is introduce yourself in the New Here thread. Then you'll need to do a one minute test, it's not an audition, just a quick recording so that we can get your tech all set up. Here's a link to guide you on the one minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1Minute_Test

Hoping to hear from you soon! :D <smile>

blyon

Post by blyon » July 20th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Hello,
I am new to LibriVox as well, just completing my first narration of a group project. Am I correct in understanding that another book (other than Genesis and Matthew) of Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary would be a good possible project?
Thanks,
Bob

dronald

Post by dronald » July 27th, 2020, 4:39 pm

blyon wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 3:51 pm
Hello,
I am new to LibriVox as well, just completing my first narration of a group project. Am I correct in understanding that another book (other than Genesis and Matthew) of Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary would be a good possible project?
Thanks,
Bob
It does sound good. I could definitely get behind something like this.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 27th, 2020, 5:07 pm

blyon wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 3:51 pm
Hello,
Thanks,
Bob
A good possible project. If you're thinking of soloing it, I'd go for a shorter book at first, to get your feet wet, rather than slogging through a longer one. :)

Genesis is 30 hours of finished recording. Matthew is only about 4, but that might be because it's the Concise Commentary? :hmm:

If you're thinking of a GROUP project, I'd recommend an experienced BC coordinating it.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David

blyon

Post by blyon » July 29th, 2020, 5:59 am

Thanks, I was thinking of a very short book. Do you know how much experience is required, and what the process is, in proposing a solo venture?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 29th, 2020, 6:08 am

blyon wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 5:59 am
Thanks, I was thinking of a very short book. Do you know how much experience is required, and what the process is, in proposing a solo venture?
You've done a couple group project sections, so if you feel comfortable with going for it, you can go for it. :) (We highly recommend people do at least a couple sections in a group project to get a feel for editing and uploading and the Magic Window.)

Check out the thread, "Want to Start a Solo Recording?" pinned to the top of the New Projects Launch Pad for a plethora of information about starting a solo project. To save you the hunt, here's a direct link to it: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David

blyon

Post by blyon » July 29th, 2020, 9:16 am

Thank you!

jhturner

Post by jhturner » September 3rd, 2020, 10:43 am

I would like to volunteer to work on this project, starting with Acts. (I know it is big, but winter is coming here in Minnesota and I will soon be stuck inside until road construction resumes in the spring.)

And a question: Is there an established convention as to how to one should the internal structure (Roman numerals for sections, Arabic numbers for subsections, etc.)?

Joanne Turner