Books Written by African-American Authors (not yet in the catalogue)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
ChuckW
Posts: 3204
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » March 16th, 2019, 7:12 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 8:57 pm
Poetry by Daniel Webster Davis

Idle Moments
https://archive.org/details/idlemomentsconta00davi

'Weh Down Souf
https://archive.org/details/wehdownsoufando01davigoog
Thanks for all the great recommendations! :-)

The list had been updated.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7787
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » March 16th, 2019, 9:23 pm

I've been hearing of a wealth of unrecorded books while PLing 20th Century Negro Literature. :D It's been great, really!

jervintl
Posts: 10
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Post by jervintl » March 22nd, 2019, 5:15 pm

Hi I would like to do a solo read of

Violets and Other Tales by Alice Moore Dunbar-Nelson

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18713

Is this possible?

KIBBONAFIDE
Posts: 423
Joined: September 3rd, 2018, 7:51 am
Location: Burien, WA
Contact:

Post by KIBBONAFIDE » March 24th, 2019, 12:26 pm

I noticed this just came out today on Gutenberg:
Why is the Negro Lynched? by Frederick Douglass

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59116

Thinking of starting a solo on this next week, unless someone wants do to it sooner!
Josh Kibbey

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7787
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » March 24th, 2019, 10:50 pm

John Wesley Edward Bowen (1855-1933)

An Appeal to the King: the address delivered on Negro day in the Atlanta Exposition, October 21, 1895
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100599640
About 5,000 to 5,500 words. Would be suitable for nonfiction collection

What shall the harvest be? : a national sermon : or, A series of plain talks to the colored people of America, on their problems : delivered January 17th, 24th, 31st, and Feb. 14th, 1892
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100787436

Africa and the American Negro (edited by Bowen; multiple authors)
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008677533

The united Negro : his problems and his progress (edited by Bowen; multiple authors)
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/012502866

An appeal for Negro bishops, but no separation
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008615800

ChuckW
Posts: 3204
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » March 27th, 2019, 8:18 pm

jervintl wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 5:15 pm
Hi I would like to do a solo read of

Violets and Other Tales by Alice Moore Dunbar-Nelson

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18713

Is this possible?
You're welcome to launch this in the Launch Pad. Just LMK so I can delete it from the list. :-)

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7787
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » March 27th, 2019, 10:28 pm

ChuckW wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 8:18 pm
jervintl wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 5:15 pm
Hi I would like to do a solo read of

Violets and Other Tales by Alice Moore Dunbar-Nelson

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18713

Is this possible?
You're welcome to launch this in the Launch Pad. Just LMK so I can delete it from the list. :-)
It is already launched, here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74372

ChuckW
Posts: 3204
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » March 28th, 2019, 8:28 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 10:28 pm
ChuckW wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 8:18 pm
jervintl wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 5:15 pm
Hi I would like to do a solo read of

Violets and Other Tales by Alice Moore Dunbar-Nelson

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18713

Is this possible?
You're welcome to launch this in the Launch Pad. Just LMK so I can delete it from the list. :-)
It is already launched, here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74372
Excellent! Thanks for letting me know.

ChuckW
Posts: 3204
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » March 28th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Updated.

Foon
Posts: 2850
Joined: May 10th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Post by Foon » March 29th, 2019, 3:25 am

Hi Chuck,
Just wanted to let you know that this link in your first post:
- Poems on Miscellaneous Subjects (Frances Ellen Watkins Harper)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11022
leads to a different book, that is, this one:
- Sowing and Reaping: A Temperance Story (Frances Ellen Watkins Harper)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11022
That PG text is also not great, since it missed a LOT of chapters, such as
Chapter XI
[Text missing.]

Chapter XII
[Text missing.]
Here's an alternate link for Poems on Miscellaneous Subjects: https://archive.org/details/poemsonmiscellan00harp
I couldn't find a complete text for Sowing and Reaping, unfortunately.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!


Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16966
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » August 12th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Chuck,

I'm launching The Conquest as a new group project. I've removed it from your list above.

MaryAnn

- The Conquest: The Story of a Negro Pioneer (Oscar Micheaux)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/39237
Join us to MARCH to the finish line by completing as many projects as we can during March! This thread tracks our progress and lists projects in need of readers/PLers.

My Librivox solos

Pinklady77
Posts: 221
Joined: June 30th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Post by Pinklady77 » August 26th, 2019, 1:50 am

I'm doing Silas X Floyd, Floyds Flowers novel currently.

I would like to also claim his other novel, Short Stories for young and old as a solo project.
Should I wait until my first is done to create a new project?
Lola J
Lola

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16966
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » August 26th, 2019, 5:49 am

Lola,
I've removed "Floyd's Flowers" from Chuck's list in the first post.
Regarding the second novel by Floyd, I generally wait to get pretty close to finishing one solo before starting another one. That helps keep me focused. And it's not a "race to claim" because we always welcome multiple versions of the same book - that gives listeners a "choice of voice".
MaryAnn
Join us to MARCH to the finish line by completing as many projects as we can during March! This thread tracks our progress and lists projects in need of readers/PLers.

My Librivox solos

neecheelok70
Posts: 9333
Joined: April 4th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Post by neecheelok70 » August 26th, 2019, 6:42 am

I have already set up on the Project Generator the novel Cane by Jean Toomer. I used to teach it and couldn't resist. I hope that is all right. Jim

Pinklady77
Posts: 221
Joined: June 30th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Post by Pinklady77 » August 26th, 2019, 9:11 am

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 5:49 am
Lola,
I've removed "Floyd's Flowers" from Chuck's list in the first post.
Regarding the second novel by Floyd, I generally wait to get pretty close to finishing one solo before starting another one. That helps keep me focused. And it's not a "race to claim" because we always welcome multiple versions of the same book - that gives listeners a "choice of voice".
MaryAnn
Okay, that sounds great. I will definitely take your advice. Thank you
Lola

Post Reply