Pirates!

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KevinS
Posts: 3434
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 17th, 2019, 5:42 pm

As far as I can tell, these stories or books are in the Public Domain and are not represented (in full) in the LibriVox catalog as of today. If you like pirate stories as I do, let's get started!


The Book of Buried Treasure https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33318
Blackbeard: Buccaneer (R. D. Paine) https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25472
Pieces of Eight (Le Gallienne) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17741
(Selections from Pieces of Eight are in the LibriVox catalog.)
Hearts of Three (Jack London) https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54068
Afloat and Ashore (James F. Cooper) https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8647
Homeward Bound (Cooper) https://archive.org/details/homewardbound02cooprich/page/n6
Red Rover (Cooper) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11409
A Pirate of the Caribbees (H. Collingwood) https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21073
Pirate Gow (Daniel Defoe)
The King of Pirates (Defoe) https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37992
The Pirate (Walter Scott) https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42389
Rose of Paradise (Howard Pyle) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31673
Captain Sharkey (Arthur Conan Doyle) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/34627 DONE
The Pirate (Frederick Marryat) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21580
Three Cutters (Marryat) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21559
Under the Waves (Ballantyne) https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23493
Pirate City (Ballantyne) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21692
A Man to His Mate (J. Allan Dunn) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/28597
The Pirate Island (H. Collingwood) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21072
Last edited by KevinS on July 18th, 2019, 6:50 am, edited 9 times in total.
E agora, José?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 31687
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » July 17th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Don't forget book suggestions is not for books we already have in the catalogue , and it's usually better to have some reason for posting them . If the forum get filled with lists from etext catalogues , it'snot much use and no one will look

Anne

KevinS
Posts: 3434
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 17th, 2019, 6:17 pm

annise wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Don't forget book suggestions is not for books we already have in the catalogue , and it's usually better to have some reason for posting them . If the forum get filled with lists from etext catalogues , it'snot much use and no one will look

Anne
I plan to do that, too.
E agora, José?

KevinS
Posts: 3434
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 17th, 2019, 6:18 pm

KevinS wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 6:17 pm
annise wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Don't forget book suggestions is not for books we already have in the catalogue , and it's usually better to have some reason for posting them . If the forum get filled with lists from etext catalogues , it'snot much use and no one will look

Anne
I plan to do that, too.
Oh, I see you did that already. I wish you hadn't have troubled yourself. Thank you.
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42885
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » July 17th, 2019, 6:19 pm

I cross-checked many of them and noted the ones I found in the catalog.
Away from LibriVox Mon, Oct 7 through Tues, Oct 15.

KevinS
Posts: 3434
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 17th, 2019, 6:26 pm

TriciaG wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 6:19 pm
I cross-checked many of them and noted the ones I found in the catalog.
Oh, Thank you!

I'm entering sources now. (Though it's almost bedtime for me. A long day of heat.)
E agora, José?

KevinS
Posts: 3434
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 18th, 2019, 6:51 am

List all cleaned up now. TriciaG, thank you for your help! Annise, thank you for your concern!
E agora, José?

maxgal
Posts: 241
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » July 18th, 2019, 10:35 am

Hello Kevin,
I am not familiar with most of the titles on the list.
But I am a William Hope Hodgson fan, including The Ghost Pirates (already in LV catalogue) and his sea stories.
So my Q is:
Is/Are any of the titles listed here in the "spooky/scary" vein?
Thank you...LJB
(Louise)
(aka maxgal)
(BTW... I am preparing my assigned "A-to-Zed" selections for recording soon.)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

KevinS
Posts: 3434
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 18th, 2019, 11:18 am

maxgal wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 10:35 am
Hello Kevin,
I am not familiar with most of the titles on the list.
But I am a William Hope Hodgson fan, including The Ghost Pirates (already in LV catalogue) and his sea stories.
So my Q is:
Is/Are any of the titles listed here in the "spooky/scary" vein?
Thank you...LJB
(Louise)
(aka maxgal)
(BTW... I am preparing my assigned "A-to-Zed" selections for recording soon.)
I would classify them more as action/adventure. There are battle scenes and blood and gore, but not the kind of building terror one finds in a horror story.
E agora, José?

maxgal
Posts: 241
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » July 18th, 2019, 11:25 am

KevinS wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 11:18 am
maxgal wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 10:35 am
Hello Kevin,
I am not familiar with most of the titles on the list.
But I am a William Hope Hodgson fan, including The Ghost Pirates (already in LV catalogue) and his sea stories.
So my Q is:
Is/Are any of the titles listed here in the "spooky/scary" vein?
Thank you...LJB
(Louise)
(aka maxgal)
(BTW... I am preparing my assigned "A-to-Zed" selections for recording soon.)
I would classify them more as action/adventure. There are battle scenes and blood and gore, but not the kind of building terror one finds in a horror story.
Ah -- swashbuckling boy stuff. :D
Louise
"every little breeze..."

KevinS
Posts: 3434
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 18th, 2019, 11:29 am

maxgal wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 11:25 am
KevinS wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 11:18 am
maxgal wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 10:35 am
Hello Kevin,
I am not familiar with most of the titles on the list.
But I am a William Hope Hodgson fan, including The Ghost Pirates (already in LV catalogue) and his sea stories.
So my Q is:
Is/Are any of the titles listed here in the "spooky/scary" vein?
Thank you...LJB
(Louise)
(aka maxgal)
(BTW... I am preparing my assigned "A-to-Zed" selections for recording soon.)
I would classify them more as action/adventure. There are battle scenes and blood and gore, but not the kind of building terror one finds in a horror story.
Ah -- swashbuckling boy stuff. :D
I'm afraid so. I'm a boy.
E agora, José?

ej400
Posts: 2180
Joined: September 24th, 2014, 10:26 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by ej400 » July 18th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Is there a link to "Pirate Gow (Daniel Defoe)"?

That's a pretty good list, I sort of like these kind of stories, just haven't read enough of them. Glad someone did the searching for me :D <smile>

KevinS
Posts: 3434
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 18th, 2019, 2:03 pm

ej400 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Is there a link to "Pirate Gow (Daniel Defoe)"?

That's a pretty good list, I sort of like these kind of stories, just haven't read enough of them. Glad someone did the searching for me :D <smile>
I have to look harder. I think it might be in a collection and thus harder to find.
E agora, José?

KevinS
Posts: 3434
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 18th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Do we allow Google books here?

I've found this: https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=MIpaAAAAMAAJ&hl=en&pg=GBS.PR6

Does this link work for everyone or just me?
E agora, José?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 31687
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » July 18th, 2019, 2:18 pm

How to find if we would accept it
Is it on PG ? and does the Bibrec tag say it is PD. Yes
Is it on Haithi and do they say it is PD , probably

Is it a scan? Does it have a date printed in the scan ? Yes

Anne
Just as a comment - at least one of your list is about pirates in a way, but it's about a trip from China to the USA on a sailing ship and how they escaped the China Sea "pirates" who put out from shore and attacked the boat. It appears to be the villager's way of earning a living rather than High Sea adventures, so it may not be what people expect.

Post Reply