[SOLO] Public Domain Permaculture Pamphlets

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
staticGenerator

Post by staticGenerator » September 2nd, 2019, 6:44 pm

Free Public Domain Permaculture Pamphlets by Bill Mollison (1928 - 2016).

( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/PDC_ALL.pdf
  • Launch page for text: http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/publications.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

[MW]xxxx[/MW]
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: J28X6EaW
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Bill Mollison) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Mollison
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 14
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known):
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? staticGenerator Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Nature; *Non-fiction/Science; *Non-fiction/Animals; *Non-fiction/House & Home/Gardening; *Non-fiction/Reference

Keywords that describe the book: ecology, natural-farming, indigenous-cultures, animal-husbandry, sustainable-systems, permaculture

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Free Public Domain Permaculture Pamphlets. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      " Free Public Domain Permaculture Pamphlets, by Bill Mollison. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Free Public Domain Permaculture Pamphlets by Bill Mollison. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Free Public Domain Permaculture Pamphlets, by Bill Mollison. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename freepublicdomainpermaculturepamphlets_##_mollison_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. freepublicdomainpermaculturepamphlets_01_mollison_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Bill Mollison
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Free Public Domain Permaculture Pamphlets

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » September 2nd, 2019, 7:50 pm

Interesting! I've met Bill Mollison back when he was running the Permaculture Design Course, and it is very like him to place his work in the Public Domain. It has also been formally published, so I think it meets the requirements for Librivox production, however, I think you will get further if you submit a 1 minute test, as per the instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

If this project is approved, I'd like to DPL for it.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » September 2nd, 2019, 10:14 pm

I'm not having much success in finding a copyright statement. It's obviously not 1923 or earlier. I did find "this pamphlet may be freely distributed" but is there something better somewhere?

Anne

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » September 2nd, 2019, 11:47 pm

In the introduction to the text itself the author says “I have placed these pamphlets in the Public Domain“ with his reasons and repeats his encouragement to distribute his work as widely as possible.

2nd paragraph of the text link.

staticGenerator

Post by staticGenerator » September 3rd, 2019, 7:36 am

Thank you Elizabby. Glad you are familiar with the work and willing to help!

I've posted my one minute test to the 'Listeners and Editors Wanted' forum.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » September 3rd, 2019, 3:10 pm

We are still trying to work out whether we are able to use this for LibriVox. Sorry for the delay.

Anne

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » September 3rd, 2019, 3:29 pm

I spoke to my husband about this - he did the permaculture design course back when Bill Mollison was running it. The pamphlets are a series of transcribed public lectures which were deliberately placed in the PD to raise interest in permaculture. Bill Mollison also wrote several books which are not in the PD, and of course his design certificate course and all its materials are copyrighted. Bill Mollison died a few years ago, but under Australian IP law his books won’t be PD for about 70 years.

Not sure if this background helps, but it was definitely the author’s intent to place these public lecture materials in the PD.

staticGenerator

Post by staticGenerator » September 5th, 2019, 6:25 pm

annise wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 3:10 pm
We are still trying to work out whether we are able to use this for LibriVox. Sorry for the delay.
No rush here. Anything I can provide that will assist?

Of course, seeing as this is my first attempt at recording audio books, and I’ve purchased equipment for this very purpose, I’m eager to get started - :clap:

I have other options available, should I submit another post with a different source while this is being investigated?

Thank you

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » September 5th, 2019, 10:03 pm

My recommendation would be that you read a short poem or one chapter in another project, just to warm up to our systems.

(If you want to do a bit of quid pro quo, the coloured links in my signature file go to current projects of mine that need readers!)

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » September 5th, 2019, 10:51 pm

That's a great idea (doing the test)
I'm seeking other opinions, It's outside our LV requirements "Previously published, PD in the USA because it was published before 1924 or declared PD by a site we can trust to understand the USA PD field.
I'll move this thread to book suggestions until we can come up with a definite answer.
I'm happy that he wanted the pamphlets distributed freely for example but there are degrees of "free". Can I take them and publish and sell "Anne's book of Permaculture" with added chapters proving the only way was to use my patent expensive gadget? Can I change every do to don't and vice versa? And I suspect his answer would be no - so it is a restricted PD , whereas all our recordings are free for anyone to do anything with?

Anne

staticGenerator

Post by staticGenerator » September 6th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Elizabby wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:03 pm
My recommendation would be that you read a short poem or one chapter in another project, just to warm up to our systems.

(If you want to do a bit of quid pro quo, the coloured links in my signature file go to current projects of mine that need readers!)
Sure, I’d love to help out with some others. I’ll check them out.

I do have a passion for the topic I originally selected here and not finding much out there. Would like to help those I know with reading limitations to be able to access content at some point in the future. Thanks.

Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 » October 4th, 2019, 6:50 am

Its a great idea. Do second Elizabby’s idea though of first doing at least a few other readings to get familiar with LibriVox and how things work. It will help make you that much better at reading and getting Bill’s stuff out there.
regards
Jane Bennett

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » October 4th, 2019, 7:43 pm

annise wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:51 pm
That's a great idea(doing the test)
I'm seeking other opinions, It's outside our LV requirements "Previously published, PD in the USA because it was published before 1924 or declared PD by a site we can trust to understand the USA PD field.
The thing is, if the author declared his own work PD - surely we can take him at his word? If he said (as he did) "I place this work in the PD" surely that's enough? Don't we have to assume that he understood what he was saying?

Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 » October 4th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Elizabby wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 7:43 pm
annise wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:51 pm
That's a great idea(doing the test)
The thing is, if the author declared his own work PD - surely we can take him at his word? If he said (as he did) "I place this work in the PD" surely that's enough? Don't we have to assume that he understood what he was saying?
Agree. If the author declares it, surely we should accept that.
regards
Jane Bennett

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 4th, 2019, 10:15 pm

I've edited my first response and the times it has been quoted to make it clear what I said "was a good idea". It seemed a bit ambiguous.

I still not convinced we could accept it for the reasons I gave not because I don't think it would be worthwhile but because I am not confident that the "editor" and the author intended it to be made available for anyone to do anything with, although they did intend the pamphlets to be available for everyone.

Anne