The Epistle to Diognetus

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » September 14th, 2019, 1:44 am

Hi,

I'd like to record the following short text in English as my first solo recording:
https://archive.org/details/apostolicfather01lakegoog/page/n362

I have a couple of questions:
1) How do I deal with an anonymous author? "Diognetus" is the recipient, not the author of the letter. It has sometimes been attributed to Justin Matyr (see link below) but this is alsmost certainly not the case. How does Librivox deal with this?
2) How do I deal with a footnoted lacuna in the text? Can I read the footnote? (See p.365)

https://archive.org/details/epistletodiognet00just/page/18

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 14th, 2019, 6:40 am

Looks like a nice, short solo. :) Are you thinking of having each chapter be its own file (so something like 12 sections)? Are you just doing the English, or are you going to tackle the Greek, too? 8-)

1) We have an "author" database entry both for "Anonymous" and "Unknown". In this case, I think I'd choose "Unknown". Then in the intro you could say something like, "The Epistle to Diognetus, by unknown author."

2) Yes, you can read the footnote - or not, your choice. We record the main text in its entirety, but footnotes, appendices, prefaces, etc. are up to the soloist or book coordinator. Most readers will read a footnote by saying "Footnote" followed by the note, then "End of footnote."

(That said, we do recommend recording at least one section in a group project before taking off into solo-land. That way you can get a feel for how things work. In a solo, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window, so it's good to see how it works in other projects. And also, recording in a group project can get you a feel for how to record and edit more than in the test recording, so that you can do your best work in your solo.)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Report of the President's Commission on Immigration and Naturalization (1953)
Working the polls Monday, Oct 21, all day and night. Canadians: go vote!

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » September 15th, 2019, 7:27 am

Thanks so much for the info!

Do I have to do one file per chapter or could I do it in one long file? It's about 22 mins long with each chapter about 2 minutes - is it really worth recording the intro each time for such short chapters?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 15th, 2019, 9:46 am

If the whole thing is only 22 minutes long, then I'd recommend that you simply submit it in one file to the Short Nonfiction Collection. It will be findable in searches there, and - well, the Short Nonfiction Collection is designed for pieces like this. ;)

But in general, if this were, say, an hour or two in total run time, you could divide up the chapters how you like. I did a solo once with short chapters (although not THIS short), and I combined 2 chapters per section so that each file was about 10 minutes long.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Report of the President's Commission on Immigration and Naturalization (1953)
Working the polls Monday, Oct 21, all day and night. Canadians: go vote!