[solo] Daemonologie by King James I of England

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
FletchersIceIsland

Post by FletchersIceIsland » January 6th, 2021, 5:35 pm

Daemonologie by James I King of England (1566 - 1625).

Daemonologie—in full Daemonologie, In Forme of a Dialogue, Divided into three Books: By the High and Mighty Prince, James &c.—was written and published in 1599[1] by King James VI of Scotland (later also James I of England) as a philosophical dissertation on contemporary necromancy and the historical relationships between the various methods of divination used from ancient black magic.
This included a study on demonology and the methods demons used to bother troubled men. It also touches on topics such as werewolves and vampires. It was a political yet theological statement to educate a misinformed populace on the history, practices and implications of sorcery and the reasons for persecuting a witch in a Christian society under the rule of canonical law.
This book is believed to be one of the main sources used by William Shakespeare in the production of Macbeth. Shakespeare attributed many quotes and rituals found within the book directly to the Weird Sisters, yet also attributed the Scottish themes and settings referenced from the trials in which King James was involved. ( Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25929
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

[MW]xxxx[/MW]
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: zK6IioZM
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (James I King of England) : https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_I_of_England
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemonologie
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have:
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known): 1597
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/History/Middle Ages/Middle History

Keywords that describe the book: middle ages, English, england, King James I, witchcraft, demons

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Daemonologie. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Daemonologie, by James I King of England. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Daemonologie by James I King of England. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Daemonologie, by James I King of England. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename daemonologie_##_kingofengland_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. daemonologie_01_kingofengland_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: James I King of England
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Daemonologie

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » January 7th, 2021, 7:39 am

Hi FII,
Do you have a plan for how many sections this would need? To keep the recording time under 70 minutes, your sections should be under 7000 words. It could need the division of chapters to achieve that. That should be determined before we setup the project.
Cheers,
-Amy

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 16th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Moving this to Book Suggestions for now, to keep the Launch Pad tidy.

Hannah - when you're ready to start this (we recommend at least doing the 1-minute test to ensure your tech settings are all OK), please post in this thread with the number of sections, and we'll move the thread back to the Launch Pad for you.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Psychological Warfare: HERE
Thrift, by Samuel Smiles HERE

FletchersIceIsland

Post by FletchersIceIsland » February 7th, 2021, 9:18 pm

https://librivox.org/uploader

Here is chapter 1 of Daemonologie.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 7th, 2021, 9:39 pm

FletchersIceIsland wrote:
February 7th, 2021, 9:18 pm
https://librivox.org/uploader

Here is chapter 1 of Daemonologie.
The link you have posted is not an mp3, but instead is simply the url of our uploader. In any case, this project isn't at a point where you're ready to start uploading.

Please see the link Tricia posted above about the one-minute test. Completing a test is important, because we need to be sure that the files submitted are in the correct format, tech-wise.

You'll also need to tell us how many sections the text will be divided into. At that point, a MC will set up your project, and then you'll be ready to upload.