COMPLETE: ]The Trial of a New Society by Justus Ebert -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoannaHoyt
Posts: 316
Joined: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 am
Location: Orwell, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by JoannaHoyt » April 17th, 2021, 5:28 pm

DOLZ wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 5:12 pm
Hi Joanna,

This was a doozy of a chapter, to be sure. I made a couple of notes that I sent via PM because I'm not sure my findings will even be changes. I will wait to hear back from you.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have questions.

Thanks
Thank you very much! I think some of the things you mentioned need to be changed, and others could go either way--have sent a PM explaining what I was thinking and asking what you think would work. I really appreciate your thoughtful feedback.

DOLZ
Posts: 97
Joined: December 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Post by DOLZ » April 18th, 2021, 11:06 am

JoannaHoyt wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 5:28 pm
DOLZ wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 5:12 pm
Hi Joanna,

This was a doozy of a chapter, to be sure. I made a couple of notes that I sent via PM because I'm not sure my findings will even be changes. I will wait to hear back from you.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have questions.

Thanks
Thank you very much! I think some of the things you mentioned need to be changed, and others could go either way--have sent a PM explaining what I was thinking and asking what you think would work. I really appreciate your thoughtful feedback.
Alway happy to help and hopeful that my help is truly helpful.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:

JoannaHoyt
Posts: 316
Joined: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 am
Location: Orwell, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by JoannaHoyt » April 19th, 2021, 5:57 pm

DOLZ wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 11:06 am

Alway happy to help and hopeful that my help is truly helpful.
It is truly helpful indeed. Thank you again.

Thank you again! Chapter 3 is ready for spot PL. I've removed the quotes around "plant" and "planting" in the places where you noted them (21:32 and 21:22) and I think those are the only places where I put them in. Have also fixed the quotes around "impartiality" at 1:32. Will try and be more consistent with quotation style in the later chapters. I've recorded Chapter 4, which is much shorter, but haven't edited yet--will post that later this week.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/trialofanewsociety_03_ebert_128kb.mp3

And yes, this book is definitely telling one side of a story. The Bread and Roses Strike fascinated me partly because of its resemblance to our time--very split media narratives offering somewhat different facts as well as very different spins, and behavior on the ground very much driven by the conflicting publicity...

DOLZ
Posts: 97
Joined: December 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Post by DOLZ » April 20th, 2021, 7:33 am

JoannaHoyt wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 5:57 pm
DOLZ wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 11:06 am

Alway happy to help and hopeful that my help is truly helpful.
It is truly helpful indeed. Thank you again.

Thank you again! Chapter 3 is ready for spot PL. I've removed the quotes around "plant" and "planting" in the places where you noted them (21:32 and 21:22) and I think those are the only places where I put them in. Have also fixed the quotes around "impartiality" at 1:32. Will try and be more consistent with quotation style in the later chapters. I've recorded Chapter 4, which is much shorter, but haven't edited yet--will post that later this week.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/trialofanewsociety_03_ebert_128kb.mp3

And yes, this book is definitely telling one side of a story. The Bread and Roses Strike fascinated me partly because of its resemblance to our time--very split media narratives offering somewhat different facts as well as very different spins, and behavior on the ground very much driven by the conflicting publicity...
Good works. All is well. MW is updated. Thank you.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:

JoannaHoyt
Posts: 316
Joined: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 am
Location: Orwell, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by JoannaHoyt » April 22nd, 2021, 11:24 am

DOLZ wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 7:33 am
[
Good works. All is well. MW is updated. Thank you.
Thank you!
Here's Chapter 4, 25:00. I've tried to make sure I'm consistent abut open and close quotes on direct quotations, though I have still sometimes just used tone of voice for scare quotes that struck me as unnecessary. And I am struggling a bit with Ebert's highly variable spelling of surnames...

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/trialofanewsociety_04_ebert_128kb.mp3

DOLZ
Posts: 97
Joined: December 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Post by DOLZ » April 23rd, 2021, 8:43 am

JoannaHoyt wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 11:24 am
DOLZ wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 7:33 am
[
Good works. All is well. MW is updated. Thank you.
Thank you!
Here's Chapter 4, 25:00. I've tried to make sure I'm consistent abut open and close quotes on direct quotations, though I have still sometimes just used tone of voice for scare quotes that struck me as unnecessary. And I am struggling a bit with Ebert's highly variable spelling of surnames...

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/trialofanewsociety_04_ebert_128kb.mp3
All is well. MW updated. Thank you.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:

JoannaHoyt
Posts: 316
Joined: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 am
Location: Orwell, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by JoannaHoyt » April 30th, 2021, 4:18 pm

DOLZ wrote:
April 23rd, 2021, 8:43 am

All is well. MW updated. Thank you.
Thank you! Chapter 5, part 1, is up in the MW. I read the whole chapter in and then realized it would likely be over the 70-minute limit even once I cut out all the repeats. I'm editing part 2 (mostly long excerpts from final speeches by Ettor, Giovannitti, and the district attorney) now... not sure how long that will take.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/trialofanewsociety_05pt1_ebert_128kb.mp3

DOLZ
Posts: 97
Joined: December 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Post by DOLZ » May 1st, 2021, 8:45 pm

No worries. I may not get to this until Monday but will be first thing. Thank you.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:

DOLZ
Posts: 97
Joined: December 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Post by DOLZ » May 2nd, 2021, 7:59 am

Good Morning. Seized the opportunity to PL this section this morning. Very moving and very powerful. Good works. MW updated. Thank you.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:

JoannaHoyt
Posts: 316
Joined: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 am
Location: Orwell, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by JoannaHoyt » May 2nd, 2021, 12:31 pm

DOLZ wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 7:59 am
Good Morning. Seized the opportunity to PL this section this morning. Very moving and very powerful. Good works. MW updated. Thank you.
Thank you very much! Glad this section worked for you. I've just posted the second half of the chapter. (Turns out they only totaled to 68 minutes combined when edited, just under the limit, but I think they may be heavy enough going so that shorter sections work better anyway...)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/trialofanewsociety_05pt2_ebert_128kb.mp3

DOLZ
Posts: 97
Joined: December 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Post by DOLZ » May 3rd, 2021, 2:34 pm

Riveting stuff! All is well. MW updated. Thank you.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:

JoannaHoyt
Posts: 316
Joined: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 am
Location: Orwell, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by JoannaHoyt » May 15th, 2021, 5:44 pm

DOLZ wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 2:34 pm
Riveting stuff! All is well. MW updated. Thank you.
Thank you again!

Here, at long last, is the final chapter, duration 10:57. https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/trialofanewsociety_07_ebert_128kb.mp3
It's odd looking back at what Ebert thought snd hoped would happen next, and at what actually did happen... though certain;y the story is still far from over.
Thank you again for PLing and patience.

JoannaHoyt
Posts: 316
Joined: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 am
Location: Orwell, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by JoannaHoyt » May 15th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Jo, I have changed the summary a bit now that I have actually read the book instead of just skimming it, and I think (I'm still fairly new to this) that I should ask for your approval of the changes. I've pasted the original summary below--the new one is now in the Magic Window.

Thank you very much for coordinating this book.

Original summary:

In 1912 textile workers in Lawrence, Massachusetts, mostly immigrants, went on strike in response to a pay cut, speedups, and unsafe working conditions. Representatives from the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW/Wobblies) came in to help organize the strike. The city declared martial law and a tense standoff went on for weeks. National newspapers provided breathless coverage of the strike and painted drastically different pictures of what was happening and who was to blame. When a woman was shot in ambiguous circumstances, strike leaders were tried for murder--not for shooting her, but for purportedly inciting mob violence leading to her death. They were acquitted. This IWW pamphlet gives a vivid account of labor conditions, of the strike which was afterward known as the Bread and Roses strike, and of the trial of strike leaders Joseph Ettor and Arturo Giovanitti. (Summary by )

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 17779
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 15th, 2021, 9:05 pm

Hi Joanna,

You don't need my approval for the summary. It just needs to be in the public domain. What you have written is fine. However, since you asked my opinion, if it were me, I would reword it to be in third person, as indicated in bold below.
In 1912 textile workers in Lawrence, Massachusetts, mostly immigrants, went on strike in response to a pay cut, speedups, and unsafe working conditions. Representatives from the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW/Wobblies) came in to help organize the strike. The city declared martial law and a tense standoff went on for weeks. National newspapers provided breathless coverage of the strike and painted drastically different pictures of what was happening and who was to blame. When a woman was shot in ambiguous circumstances, strike leaders were tried for murder--not for shooting her, but for purportedly inciting mob violence leading to her death. They were acquitted.

This book by an ardent IWW member, which seems to have been written in haste as well as in great enthusiasm, gives a vivid journalistic account of labor conditions, of the strike which was afterward known as the Bread and Roses strike, of the trial of strike leaders Joseph Ettor and Arturo Giovanitti, and of the general strike organized to support them.

The linked text includes reproductions of various cartoons, posters, and leaflets from the strike which have not been read aloud. It also includes many footnotes, detailed citations of sources for quotes, which also have not read aloud--only those footnotes required to explain quotes which had no attribution in the main text have been included.

(Summary by Joanna Michal Hoyt)
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

JoannaHoyt
Posts: 316
Joined: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 am
Location: Orwell, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by JoannaHoyt » May 16th, 2021, 2:54 am

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 9:05 pm
Hi Joanna,

You don't need my approval for the summary. It just needs to be in the public domain. What you have written is fine. However, since you asked my opinion, if it were me, I would reword it to be in third person, as indicated in bold below.


The linked text includes reproductions of various cartoons, posters, and leaflets from the strike which have not been read aloud. It also includes many footnotes, detailed citations of sources for quotes, which also have not read aloud--only those footnotes required to explain quotes which had no attribution in the main text have been included.

(Summary by Joanna Michal Hoyt)
[/quote]

Thanks! Edited.

Post Reply