[SOLO] Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - dc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd » February 3rd, 2020, 4:42 pm

Nan, I started this, and stopped, because I'm very familiar with your recordings - this seems really squashed and it makes your voice sound very robotic and has some odd electronic artifacts. I believe I remember you got a new microphone, is that correct?

Listen to it and see what you think, but I know how great your recordings are and they are usually perfect, and this just sounds really strange.

Nedge

Post by Nedge » February 3rd, 2020, 4:54 pm

I will, and thank you. This is why I only recorded one chapter!

Be back soon...
Nan

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott

Nedge

Post by Nedge » February 4th, 2020, 5:16 pm

"this seems really squashed and it makes your voice sound very robotic and has some odd electronic artifacts. I believe I remember you got a new microphone, is that correct? Listen to it and see what you think, but I know how great your recordings are and they are usually perfect, and this just sounds really strange."

Jenniferrd, I listened to the recording while I was fixing it, and then again last night. I won't say I'm not hearing any part of what you're talking about, but I am in need of clarification. I don't want to record it again and find out it was something simple. It doesn't sound perfect, yet it doesn't sound horrible (to me.)

I am by no means an expert with Audacity, and settings might be very wrong. I was sitting in the living room (with lots of pillows and carpeting). Could I have had the mic too far away? Too close?

I might ask anyone who knows the software and how to work it to give it a listen. Phil? :D
Nan

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott

jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd » February 4th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Nedge wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 5:16 pm
"this seems really squashed and it makes your voice sound very robotic and has some odd electronic artifacts. I believe I remember you got a new microphone, is that correct? Listen to it and see what you think, but I know how great your recordings are and they are usually perfect, and this just sounds really strange."

Jenniferrd, I listened to the recording while I was fixing it, and then again last night. I won't say I'm not hearing any part of what you're talking about, but I am in need of clarification. I don't want to record it again and find out it was something simple. It doesn't sound perfect, yet it doesn't sound horrible (to me.)

I am by no means an expert with Audacity, and settings might be very wrong. I was sitting in the living room (with lots of pillows and carpeting). Could I have had the mic too far away? Too close?

I might ask anyone who knows the software and how to work it to give it a listen. Phil? :D
I think that asking Phil would be a great idea.

What I am hearing sounds like there might be too much compression or my maybe too much noise reduction. If you think it's okay, I will certainly go ahead an PL it, though! Let me know on that.

Nedge

Post by Nedge » February 4th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Nah, I don’t think it’s ok. Let’s wait. I’ll gladly start again.
Nan

Nedge

Post by Nedge » February 8th, 2020, 4:11 pm

I've uploaded the first five minutes of the first chapter. See if this is better?

Thank you,

Nan

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/littlewomen_01_alcott_128kb.mp3
Nan

jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd » February 8th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Yes! That sounds much better!

Nedge

Post by Nedge » February 17th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Jennifer, I'm still not happy with this, although I recorded two chapters. I'm happy enough with the reading, but don't like the way the recordings sound.

I'm going to consult with an expert (my son-in-law) and do the next chapter. If I figure it out satisfactorily, and am happy with the sound, I'll redo the first two chapters. (Little Women is worth it!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/littlewomen_01_alcott_128kb.mp3 24:26
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/littlewomen_02_alcott_128kb.mp3 25:58
Nan

Nedge

Post by Nedge » February 19th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Here is Chapter 3. I think there is a difference!

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/littlewomen_03_alcott_128kb.mp3 23:58
Nan

jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd » February 19th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Thanks, I will get on these this weekend. I've had the flu and am not able to do them until I feel better. :cry:

jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd » March 3rd, 2020, 11:25 am

Still here, Nan, I got super busy these past two weeks, but I WILL get to it.

Nedge

Post by Nedge » March 4th, 2020, 5:55 pm

I'm obviously not in a tearing hurry, since I set up the book in January, and started it the following January. :)

When you get to it, listen to a few minutes of Chapter 1, and then skip to a few minutes of Chapter 3.

Nan
Nan

jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd » March 10th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Okay, I have previewed the first and third chapters. I think they both sound fine, the third sounds a little better, but the first is perfectly acceptable, too. You are welcome to rerecord the first two if you want, but I think it sounds good either way. Let me know what you'd like to do!

Nedge

Post by Nedge » March 10th, 2020, 5:31 pm

I'll keep going. Perhaps when I finish, I will rerecord chapters 1 and 2. Thank you!

Nan
Nan

jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd » March 26th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Nan - do you want me to go ahead and PL all of these chapters so far?