COMPLETE [Solo] Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce » November 7th, 2020, 4:31 pm

I was afraid when the first paragraph mentioned electioneering that it was going to be a political chapter. And I was hoping to escape from politicis for a half hour! But after all, it was Miss Dunstable, who is always refreshing. Thank you, and thank you for the prayers. It is comforting to know that you are praying for us in this very tense time. I believe some years ago the Queen described a year as an "annus horribilis." I've often thought of her comment this year. I hope we can think of 2020 as a bad year, looking back a few years from now, as that will mean that things were improved in 2021.

Marked both Chapters 37 and 38 PL OK.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!

NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley » November 22nd, 2020, 4:54 am

Hi

Here is Chapter 39 - I hope it will cheer you up!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_39_trollope_128kb.mp3 32:40

All we can di is look for the blessings in the middle of this time - we have seen more of Helen's brothers in the last year than in the decades since we married!

And you will have a new President in January - although we have to wait for a while to have a new Prime Minister.

Blessings

Nick

ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce » November 22nd, 2020, 8:41 pm

Yes, there are indeed silver linings in this situation! I look at the extra kindness and thoughtfulness of ordinary people, and the actions taken by businesses that contributed to the general welfare instead of the bottom line, and I am encouraged. This week is our Thanksgiving holiday, and we are all thankful for so many things that we took for granted before.

I am thankful that you decided to read the Cronicles of Barsetshire. I am enjoying them so much!!

Chapter 39 marked PL OK.
Arlene

NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley » November 28th, 2020, 10:31 am

I am so glad you are enjoying the books.

I hope you enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed recording it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_40_trollope_128kb.mp3 33:45.2

We are coming to the end of the lockdown - but what fgollows it is little different! We are now faced with the decision about Christmas - we have been invited to spend it with our eldest and his wife - as we did last year; but they are in a high risk area, and Mel, John's wife, is a key worker managing a day nursery; we are hoping she will be able to get a test so we know either it is ok or we have to stay away!

Helen's eldest brother Paul (who is my friend from University) has his stepson living with him and his wife; the stepson has just tested positive but is not feeling ill - however Paul's wife is now coughing and not feeling very well! We await developments.

I hope all continues well with you and your family.

Blessings

Nick

ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce » November 29th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Was completely distracted while listening, trying to figure out what a "mechanical petticoat" could possibly be. It defies imagination. I did listen carefully, so marked chapter 40 PL OK. But will need to listen again later, as I'm sure I missed some of the fun in my distraction.

Christmas is indeed going to bring some difficult choices this year. It's looking less and less like I'll be flying to Colorado to see my daughter.
Arlene

NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley » December 16th, 2020, 5:21 am

Hi

Did you manage to find out what a Mechanical Petticoat is? I haven't!

Here is Chapter 41.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_41_trollope_128kb.mp3 229:36.4

Enjoy

ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce » December 19th, 2020, 11:39 am

Chapter 41 marked PL OK, and much enjoyed.

I never found any explanation of a mechanical petticoat, but the images returned by Google are enlightening. They show wire frames -- what I call "hoop skirts". Perhaps adjustable wire frames used in place of layers of fabric were called mechanical petticoats?
Arlene

NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley » December 22nd, 2020, 8:03 am

Hi

Here is Chapter 42.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_42_trollope_128kb.mp3 30.06.6

We were going to be spending Christmas with John and Mel (my eldest and his wife); however on Saturday Boris (who for weeks had been insisting that for five days at Christmas the restrictions would be lifted to enable families to celebrate together - against all scientific advice, and argument in Parliament) suddenly did a U-turn and scuppered all plans. So we had, very hurriedly, and with the help of our youngest, to arrange for a suitcase, with stockings and presents for our middle son Chris and his family, to be couriered up to Northampton and we started to work out how we could cater for ourselves at home.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, celebrating Jesus' birth, and we wish you every blessing and a COVID-free 2021.

ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce » December 22nd, 2020, 12:09 pm

Chapter 42 is marked PL OK. I'm glad this is Trollope, so I can have every expectation of a brighter ending than this chapter would lead one to believe.

My Christmas plans were upended as well. I'm not going to fly to Colorado to be with my daughter, although no one would stop me. My parents will be glad to have me home for Christmas, though, as I am the only child who can visit them this year. We'll eat cookies and sing carols and rejoice anyway. I've been really blessed this Christmas with the gifts and talents of our choir, who made a huge effort to record their pieces from home. It's been a real joy to hear their voices over and over as I used Audacity to combine the recordings into a real choir for Christmas. LibriVox skills put to another use!

Merry Christmas to you and Helen!
Arlene

NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley » January 9th, 2021, 11:26 am

Happy New Year (albeit a little belated!)

A strange, very quiet Christmas break- with a good friend dying of cancer plus COVID , and now a close friend who is nursing her mother (aged 100) is feeling unwell while her mother, who has been coughing for several days, has been diagnosed with COVID. And the consequences of an easing of restrictions over Christmas yet to come, while our hospitals in London have hardly any beds!

And we have been watching with concern the demonstrations outside/inside Congress.

What a start!

Your Christmas plans sound lovely, if somewhat restricted compared to normal. I hope you enjoyed it.

The vaccine brings hope of a better year ahead.

We are continuing to pray for you, personally and for your nation.

Here is Chapter 43, which I hope will give you some cheer.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_43_trollope_128kb.mp3 31:28.8

Blessings

Nick

ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce » January 16th, 2021, 4:12 pm

I think we could have titled that chapter "Pride and Prejudice" just as easily. I enjoyed your reading of it! Marked Chapter 43 PL OK.

Your lockdowns sound worse and worse from what we hear. Of course, if we had the sense to follow suit, we wouldn't be in such a mess. Hope all continues well for you. My family continues well. If we can just make it through this next week without some major incident, everyone's stress levels will be much improved. We had quite a distraction from the national news this week. A major wind storm left 600,000 households without power. Mine was out for two days. We are thankful to live in this mild climate, where lack of heat is only a minor inconvenience. Since everything happens online these days, it was a bit more disruptive than usual, though!
Arlene

NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley » January 24th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Hi

I hope that the weather has been kinder to you this week.

We have had our first real snowfall (in our part of the country - our boys, who all live further North, have experienced persistent snow) but it is already melting - although we are concerned that it will be icy tomorrow morning, which may affect whether we go for our usual walk before breakfast.

It was so good to see a more or less normal inauguration of Joe Biden.

I am reading Barack Obama's latest memoir, which I am finding fascinating. I have just got to his inauguration!

Here is Chapter 44
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_44_trollope_128kb.mp3 31:44.6

Keep safe

Nick

ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce » January 26th, 2021, 5:43 pm

Chapter 44 is PL OK. Whew! Glad that crisis is past.

I also found Barak Obama's most recent book fascinating. What impressed me the most were the compromises his team felt they had to make to get anything done. It's disturbing to think of all the good work that would be accomplished if our elected officials could focus more on governing today, and think less of their future electability. But the Trollope books we've been reading the past few years have helped me realize that this is not a new problem. It's apparently inherent in the democratic/republican/parliamentary forms of government. With all their warts, they appear to be better than many of the alternatives.
Arlene

NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley » January 31st, 2021, 10:23 am

Hi

We have just had our first dose of vaccine - second dose 18th April.
Thanks to our wonderful GP Practice, Helen got hers at the same time - even though she is not quite 70(the cut off point). It feels as though there is some light at the end of the tunnel - not just from an oncoming train!

I think it was Churchill who said democracy is an appalling system of government - just not as bad as any of the alternatives!

I have read recently that the arcane system of electing your president was an attempt by the Founding Fathers to keep democracy at bay!

Here is Chapter 45

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_45_trollope_128kb.mp3 27:59.0

Keep safe

Nick

ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce » February 4th, 2021, 5:24 pm

We are reminded again that there is nothing new under the sun. Misinformation has always been part of our public landscape. I love Trollope. He helps me keep things in perspective. I'm so glad you chose to read him. Chapter 45 is PL OK.

Hooray for you on the vaccine front! I'm afraid it will be late spring or early summer before I'm eligible for a vaccine. But my parents have already received their first one, and so has my daughter, and that's how it should be.

If you try another of Barak Obama's books, consider an audiobook. I often wish that some authors would have handed their book to someone with a better gift for reading. Mr. Obama has both the gift and a soothing reading voice.
Arlene