[SOLO] Tulsa Race Riot by the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921-mtf

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc » February 2nd, 2021, 12:34 pm

Tulsa Race Riot: A Report by the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921 by Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921 ( - 0).

The Greenwood neighborhood of Tulsa, Oklahoma was known as "Black Wall Street" because of the success of its businesses and residents, some of whom were among the wealthiest Black people in the United States. In 1921, white citizens of Tulsa attacked the Greenwood area over two days, burning most of it to the ground and killing many residents. The devastated neighborhood never regained its prosperity and position. The incident was quickly forgotten in the press and not spoken of in the standard histories of Oklahoma. In 1997, the state government of Oklahoma established a commission to study the 1921 riot, including gathering documents and testimony of the elderly survivors, and to produce a report when their work was completed. This report was issued in 2001. ( Colleen McMahon)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.okhistory.org/research/forms/freport.pdf
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: history, non-fiction, 1921, reparations, liability, government report, oral history, oklahoma, tulsa, race riot, race massacre, commission report, mass graves, forensic anthropology

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Final Report from the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Tulsa Race Riot: A Report by the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921, by Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. [Section Number] [Chapter Title] [Part Number (if applicable]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Final Report from the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title][Part Number (if applicable]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Tulsa Race Riot: A Report by the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921, by Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 192. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename tulsaraceriot_##_oklahomacommission_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. tulsaraceriot_01_oklahomacommission_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Tulsa Race Riot: A Report by the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ColleenMc on February 6th, 2021, 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc » February 2nd, 2021, 12:35 pm

If I didn't enter it correctly above, the project will have 30 sections.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 2nd, 2021, 1:40 pm

Do you have evidence or a reference indicating that Oklahoma state documents/reports are PD? Some states they are (federal is), some states they aren't.

EDIT: I found the discussion in Book Suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83370

So it is. :)

(I can't MC this; I just wanted to verify this with/for you.)
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
New York scenes, 1897: Darkness and Daylight
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc » February 2nd, 2021, 1:52 pm

Mightyfelix had previously considered recording this and provided the evidence she had gotten that it is in the public domain, and I appreciate her sharing that very much!

May 31, 2021 is the 100th anniversary of the riot, I aim to finish the report by then at the latest. I'm going to try to move this pretty quickly (am already recording some sections of it).

Collleen
Colleen McMahon

GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan » February 2nd, 2021, 2:52 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 1:52 pm
May 31, 2021 is the 100th anniversary of the riot, I aim to finish the report by then at the latest. I'm going to try to move this pretty quickly (am already recording some sections of it).

Collleen
Thanks Colleen for doing this one. I was considering it, but have too much on my plate. An important part of history to secure!
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome feedback

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 2nd, 2021, 10:37 pm

Happy to see this hit the launch pad! I'll set it up for you.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 2nd, 2021, 10:48 pm

Ok, you should be all set to go!

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc » February 3rd, 2021, 7:28 am

Thanks so much!

Still looking for a DPL, though anyone interested should be warned there's some stuff in here that is gonna be hard to listen to, and there are multiple instances of the n-word in citing what people said at particular moments in the chain of events.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » February 5th, 2021, 10:31 am

Hi, ColleenMc,

I was wondering whether you are still looking for a DPL as I would like to work on this project.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jasna

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

loon

Post by loon » February 5th, 2021, 10:36 am

Oh good - I was hoping someone would step in to DPL this one (otherwise I would have volunteered). Important stuff, but it's bound to be intensely depressing.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc » February 5th, 2021, 11:02 am

Dulcamara wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 10:31 am
Hi, ColleenMc,

I was wondering whether you are still looking for a DPL as I would like to work on this project.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jasna
Hi Jasna! I am definitely still looking for a DPL. I will warn that parts of it are going to be hard to listen to as it involves details of extensive violence against the Black people of Tulsa, and in addition there are some occurrences of the n-word and other racist language when quoting statements of the attackers involved. If that is something you can handle, I would love to have you aboard!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » February 5th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Hi, Colleen,

I appreciate your fair warning, which I had previously seen on the thread.

I understand the nature of the text and will consider it a privilege to DPL

Thank you so much for accepting me in your project.

Ready and waiting!

Jasna

Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc » February 5th, 2021, 4:18 pm

Awesome! I will be uploading the first two sections this weekend.
Colleen McMahon

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 5th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Ok, Jasna is in as DPL and we can move to Going Solo!

Colleen, I've copied the format of some of the federal final reports that we have in the catalogue, and entered the title as "Final Report from the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921." Since this is what will show on the catalogue page, you may like to use this title in your sections intros. Like so:
    • "Section [number] of Final Report from the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
        If you wish, say:
          Say:
          "Final Report from the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. [Section Number] [Chapter Title] [Part Number (if applicable]"

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » February 6th, 2021, 3:08 am

Thank you, Devorah!