COMPLETE: Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington - ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cereselle

Post by cereselle » December 23rd, 2008, 11:49 am

Annise, no problem. Thanks for adding it. :)

Thank you, fortunecookiebride! This has gone much better than I anticipated. I'm looking forward to adding it to the catalog!

klcislc

Post by klcislc » December 23rd, 2008, 10:54 pm

I've posted it for CC, but I haven't heard back yet. Anyway, here's the recording.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/xx/upfromslavery_13_washington.mp3

If you find there's some problem with it, I'll understand your assigning it to someone else.
Or, if it's something I can fix, I'll try recording it again.
My main concern is that it won't play. I tried saving it as .mp3, and my media player wouldn't play it. So, apologies for any rookie mistakes!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 23rd, 2008, 11:44 pm

Hi
For some reason I can't find the file to listen to which may explain your lack of response to cc :D . So could you try to upload it again. This time upload to the MC Gesine - ge and see how it goes - its hard to guess why you can't play it without seeing it. Can you play it in Audacity ?
If someone has a better ides they will tell both of us :) . We never give up (well hardly ever anyhow)

Anne

Starlite

Post by Starlite » December 24th, 2008, 3:23 am

klcislc wrote: My main concern is that it won't play. I tried saving it as .mp3, and my media player wouldn't play it. So, apologies for any rookie mistakes!
How did you save as mp3? Did it ask you for the 'lame' plugin? You need to go to "file" "export" and in the drop down menu "save as type" "MP3".

Hope this helps.

I could not find it on the server either.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

klcislc

Post by klcislc » December 24th, 2008, 2:57 pm

I tried saving it in the .mp3 format using Windows Media Player. I used the XP Sound Recorder to record it, and neither of them offer an "export" option under file. Thanks, though.
Those are the only audio programs on my computer.
I thought I had at least uploadd it correctly. Guess I should give it another try.
Thanks!

Starlite

Post by Starlite » December 25th, 2008, 3:38 am

klcislc wrote:I tried saving it in the .mp3 format using Windows Media Player. I used the XP Sound Recorder to record it, and neither of them offer an "export" option under file. Thanks, though.
Those are the only audio programs on my computer.
I thought I had at least uploadd it correctly. Guess I should give it another try.
Thanks!
What program did you record it in? If using audacity, you will need to download the lame plugin to export to mp3.

http://www.guidesandtutorials.com/audacity-lame.html

klcislc

Post by klcislc » December 25th, 2008, 12:38 pm

I'd never heard of audacity before coming to LibriVox, actually. I used the Windows XP Sound Recorder, and yes, it's well over 100 MB.

Starlite

Post by Starlite » December 25th, 2008, 2:14 pm

klcislc wrote:I'd never heard of audacity before coming to LibriVox, actually. I used the Windows XP Sound Recorder, and yes, it's well over 100 MB.
Well best to use audacity:

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Audacity123

With it you can make it into an mp3. Just import your existing wav file into audacity, download lame and go to file, export, and save.

klcislc

Post by klcislc » December 26th, 2008, 1:03 pm

Thanks for suggesting Audacity! I think it worked!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ge/upfromslavery_13_washington.mp3

It's a hair over 29 minutes long.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 26th, 2008, 3:00 pm

Hi
It seems to be there but I can't download it - could you upload again - just use the same filename, I'm hoping it was just an upload glitch . Unless someone comes by with a better idea :D

Anne
edit
Just tried again and its working :D :D - obviously a download glitch :roll:

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 26th, 2008, 9:44 pm

klcislc wrote: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/xx/upfromslavery_13_washington.mp3

If you find there's some problem with it, I'll understand your assigning it to someone else.
Or, if it's something I can fix, I'll try recording it again.
We'll I've got it and listened. All the technical bits are fine and you've a nice voice and reading style. There are problems with the volume - too soft and with background noise . The volume can always be fixed with amplification but this also amplifies the background so doesn't really help, and heavy noise cleaning will distort your voice so what I'd like to do is track down the noise and get rid or at least reduce it.
Now you have Audacity running how about fiddling with it , record with the mic on and no speech so you can see the background waves, then record and try and get the speech waves about the .5 mark. You will notice some sharp spikes caused by plosives - air hitting the mike from letters like p b th etc, try to put the mike a little below above or to the side so that the air goes past . Then if you like post for cc something like the 1 minute test http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/HowToRecord or make one up about peter piper biting biscuits while ... etc . Upload to xx folder as test klcisc and post a new thread in listeners wanted, saying what mic you use and computer and let some expert suggest what the noise is . Then we can see if we can reveal your nice reading - I can remove much of the noise but I wasn't really happy with the sound so I might learn something too :D
Anne

cereselle

Post by cereselle » December 27th, 2008, 11:42 am

Chapter 16 has been returned to the pool. Any takers?

Preston McConkie

Post by Preston McConkie » December 27th, 2008, 6:24 pm

I'd love to take the now-available, penultimate chapter, "Europe."
Nobody questions the manhood of a guy who shaves with a straight razor. Only his sanity.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 27th, 2008, 6:29 pm

Not sure if the BC is around so yes thank you its yours. :)
Anne

Preston McConkie

Post by Preston McConkie » December 27th, 2008, 6:32 pm

Awesome. I leave tomorrow so I'll get it finished tonight or in the morning.
Nobody questions the manhood of a guy who shaves with a straight razor. Only his sanity.