COMPLETE: Julius Caesar, by William Shakespeare - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Starlite

Post by Starlite » November 20th, 2009, 3:51 pm

wimberprincess I edited out the as you don't need them and it somehow makes the post invisible!!

Esther

:)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 20th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Thanks for the file, wimberprincess! I've got you credited in the catalog.

There are a few notes from prooflistening:

Fourth Citizen III.3 line 1833 -- you read 1st Citizen's line by mistake -- it should be "Aye, and wisely" instead of "Aye, and briefly."

Volume -- it's on the low side in places, so make sure your input volume is turned up in Audacity and also in your computer's Control Panel. David (aradlaw), our editor, will tell us if it doesn't amplify well; he works on the files to ensure they're all the same volume (within reason) when he sutures them together.

Characters -- It makes it much easier at editing time if the roles are split out into their own files instead of all in one file. I have just realized that this is not mentioned anywhere in the first post, so you wouldn't have known.

Don't be a bit discouraged by any of this -- your reading is great and I look forward to hearing much more from you! Please redo that one line, but otherwise you don't have to re-record anything unless David finds a problem with the volume. While you are editing your line, please go ahead and split the whole into 3 files: for 4th cit, All, and Several.

Welcome to the addiction. :D Have fun filling up your catalog page!
http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=4516
Laurie Anne

wimberprincess

Post by wimberprincess » November 21st, 2009, 3:24 pm

ooooo! Okay!
Thanks! I'll re-edit and re-post!
^_^
This is fun!

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » November 21st, 2009, 4:52 pm

Thanks wimberprincess :)

Don't forget, you can't have spaces in the filenames, I put in '_' so the links would work :wink:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 21st, 2009, 5:09 pm

:lol: I thought I was going crazy -- while you were putting in underlines, I was changing the links to have the %20 that the Uploader inserts where the spaces went... then I couldn't figure out why my new links weren't working. So I looked at the Uploader directory and said "Where did those underlines come from? Aha -- David is here." :D Thank you, David!

And thank YOU, wimberprincess! It's all OK on PL'ing now. As for technical stuff for the future -- you have DC offset (this is where your baseline is not on the 0 line in Audacity) -- I think this has something to do with the way your mic communicates with the computer. It's not a problem for this project because David will fix it while he's editing the files together. But for other projects (you will read more, right?), it is a simple fix. Just select the whole thing, then go to Effects - Normalize and make sure the box is checked for "Remove DC offset" and while you're at it check "Normalize max amplitude to -3 dB" and you will be all set!

If you'd like to read another part, you're welcome to it! Just check that you won't be sharing a scene with yourself.

That goes for everyone else too. :) Doubling up on parts welcome as long as we don't confuse the listeners!
Laurie Anne

Abigail Bartels

Post by Abigail Bartels » November 22nd, 2009, 4:41 pm

I have a random question. How are we pronouncing Lucius? Lu-she-us or Lu-see-us or Lu-shus?
"In my dream, the Angel shrugged and said, 'If we fail this time, it will be a failure of imagination.' And then she placed the world gently in the palm of my hand."

Abigail Bartels

Post by Abigail Bartels » November 22nd, 2009, 4:46 pm

Abigail Bartels wrote:I have a random question. How are we pronouncing Lucius? Lu-she-us or Lu-see-us or Lu-shus?
Well, I got smart and looked at Lucius' file. Got it!
Lu-shus
"In my dream, the Angel shrugged and said, 'If we fail this time, it will be a failure of imagination.' And then she placed the world gently in the palm of my hand."

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 22nd, 2009, 5:12 pm

Official answer is "however you like." If they can say it two different ways in the Harry Potter movies then we can too. :)

For the record, I'd say it Loo-shus but I don't think any of your examples are wrong. Loo-see-us is the Latin way I believe, but who knows how they said it in ancient Rome or in Elizabethan England.
Laurie Anne

Abigail Bartels

Post by Abigail Bartels » November 22nd, 2009, 5:16 pm

Here is Portia's part:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/juliuscaesar_portia_2.mp3
Sorry it took me so long...just never got to it.
To the PL-er: there are some weird pauses between lines that I could not remove. If this is an issue, I will re-record. Just let me know! Thank you.

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 22nd, 2009, 5:21 pm

Thanks, Abigail!
Laurie Anne

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » November 22nd, 2009, 5:51 pm

Thanks Abigail, the pauses are no problem :)
Good reading and PL OK.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!

Abigail Bartels

Post by Abigail Bartels » November 22nd, 2009, 5:53 pm

aradlaw wrote:Thanks Abigail, the pauses are no problem :)
Good reading and PL OK.
Thanks a lot!!

glsi

Post by glsi » November 23rd, 2009, 10:20 am

Hi and here's Mr. Octavius from Act 5. It's 2:12 in duration. This completes my parts unless anything needs to be changed. Thanks!! glenn

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/juliuscaesar_octavius_5.mp3

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 23rd, 2009, 10:37 am

Thanks, Glenn, it's all OK!
Laurie Anne