Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » October 8th, 2012, 5:10 am

Laurie,

Done with the chapter 1
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/vairagyashatakam_01_.mp3
Playing for 10 mins 35 secs.

Chance to listen sanskrit! :)
A desire satisfied is but the seed from which springs the desire to find like satisfaction again.
The fire is not quenched by pouring oil on it; so desire is not quenched by the satisfaction of desire.

More at Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » October 11th, 2012, 7:10 am

Sorry for the delay in replying! Corrections to Section 00 are PL OK. (I always spot check to make sure the upload went through all right). I might not have time to PL the whole book, so I'll move the PL ad back to the Listeners Wanted forum in case someone else is interested.
Laurie Anne

sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku » November 10th, 2012, 10:23 am

Dear Laurie and UDay,

I am available to PL a section. This will be my first volunteer activity for Librivox, but I've been reading the related FAQs carefully and I'm willing to try. I've already listened for about 2 minutes to UDay's reading of Chapter 1 and I think I'm game.

If it goes well (ie I figure out what I'm doing), then I am tentatively willing to be the DPL for this project.

~ Chessie Joy
~ Chessie Joy

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 10th, 2012, 8:56 pm

That's great, Chessie Joy (do you go by both names?). Thanks! If you'll post your PL notes for chapter 1 here, either Uday or I will put them into the MW. Then if you decide you are up for being DPL, I'll enter you in the database so you can edit the MW yourself.
Laurie Anne

sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku » November 10th, 2012, 9:31 pm

I do go by both, depending on who is speaking to me. I should have thought of it - do you go by both of yours?
~ Chessie Joy

sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku » November 10th, 2012, 10:30 pm

I think this is an interesting project and am willing to be the DPL for it. I'm trusting Uday that he's reading all the Sanskrit, but otherwise I'm following along with the text.

I just finished the PL for Chapter 1. Here are my notes:

Intro/disclaimer is correct.
Volume good.

There were several problems in the recording. I'm listing them in ordering of decreasing severity.

1) From 9:23- end of recording - the recording cuts to silence in the middle of a Sanskrit passage and never resumes except for a few half syllables at intervals. It sounds to me as though the microphone was loose in the jack. Consequently, the last minute or so of the text is missing as well as the standardized Librivox ending and final seconds of silence.

2) 8:01 - There is a missing paragraph which is in the text but is not in the recording. It begins "Here there is an ironical pun" and ends with "cannot be preserved in translation."

3) 5:50-6:09; 7:04-7:14 - there are some pops which some listeners may find distracting. They are louder and more frequent in 5:50-6:09 than in 7:04-7:14.

4) If word-perfect is important for this recording: 7:04-7:06 has a transposition. The text reads "have we" but the recording says "we have." It does not alter the meaning of the text and is not distracting.
~ Chessie Joy

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 11th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Thanks very much, Chessie Joy! I go by both names too (that used to be how I knew if a phone message was from somebody I knew, or just a telemarketer :D). I have put you down as DPL. Do you already have your login information for the MW and the instructions for how to edit it? If not, I'll send them to you.
Laurie Anne

sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku » November 11th, 2012, 3:24 pm

I'm afraid I'm a total MW novice. Links to relevant FAQs and how-tos in the Forum or the Wiki are much appreciated.

Looking forward to this project!
~ Chessie Joy

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 11th, 2012, 3:35 pm

You have a password, called a BC password, that's set by the forum software. I'll PM it to you now. Once you've gotten your MW-feet wet DPL'ing you will know how to do it for BC projects too. :)
Laurie Anne

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » November 11th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Thanks Joy!
Hope you learn a lot on your first project. :)

We do have a link, http://www.scribd.com/doc/13153963/Vairagya-Satakam-of-Bharthari- to keep track of sanskrit verse pronunciations. You can switch to this book as you get through these verses.

I will soon upload the corrected chapter1.

Happy PLing. :thumbs:
A desire satisfied is but the seed from which springs the desire to find like satisfaction again.
The fire is not quenched by pouring oil on it; so desire is not quenched by the satisfaction of desire.

sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku » November 12th, 2012, 3:48 am

Thanks, Uday! That looks like a great tool. I'll be sure to put it into play once a track is ready for listening again.
~ Chessie Joy

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » November 12th, 2012, 8:25 am

sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku » November 12th, 2012, 11:53 pm

Hi Uday,

It's great except for the missing phrase noted in the MW. Otherwise very nice. I really appreciate having the English/Sanskrit transliteration to follow along!
~ Chessie Joy

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » November 14th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Hi Joy,

Yes, its nice. Actually I thought of omitting the sanskrit verses for this book but the Publisher thought it looks good if I read the sanskrit too! :)

Chapters 1 and 2 are modified as per your suggestions and uploaded.
For chapter 1, 4th correction, I feel that "we have" suits better than "have we" because the latter is mainly used in the context of questioning. I couldn't justify the author's usage- "have we". What do you say? (However, i corrected to read "have we")

Chapter 3 is also up for PLing :!: playing for 10 mins 40 seconds.

sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku » November 15th, 2012, 5:36 am

Hi Uday,

Yay! Thanks Uday. I know it's still early in this project, but judging from some of the other threads, I think you're going at a nice speed. I agree - the Sanskrit is a beautiful touch, and for those who understand or are studying Sanskrit, a vital part of the text. Now that I have a transliteration in the Latin alphabet, I'm having no trouble following along with you.

I found the LibriVox policy about changing words on purpose.
Occasionally people ask if they can change the published text, for instance by omitting or substituting offensive words or ideas.

The answer is: No. We present the text as it is written: no additions, omissions, or substitutions. If the text contains a word you just cannot say, consider choosing something else to record. (There is so much available to record! No need to cause yourself discomfort.) If you wish to make an "editorial comment" about the content of the text, you may do so in the written catalog summary, but you may not add it to the recording.
So the context here is to remove offensive words, such as derogatory racial terms, but changing words to improve the author's clarity is still changing words and I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to do it. (Laurie Anne, if I'm wrong on this, please let me know!)

However, because "we have/have we" doesn't change the meaning, and because the level of proof-listening is standard (not word perfect), we don't have to correct it. Here is what the Librivox website says about accuracy:
Also note: Project Gutenberg has a 99% accuracy target for its texts. On a 20 minute audio recording that would be equivalent to 12 seconds of errors. (Count to 12 and see how long that is). We don’t maintain such a specific target, but keep it in mind [...]

So we're not supposed to change it on purpose, but if we change it by accident and it does not affect the meaning, it would have been okay. :-D Does that make sense?

Friday my time will be the earliest I can PL these, but I'm looking forward to it!

~ Chessie Joy
~ Chessie Joy