COMPLETE:[Poetry - English/Sanskrit] Vairagya Shatakam - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » August 18th, 2012, 11:20 am

Vairagya Shatakam by Bharthrhari ( - ) . Translated by Swami Madhavananda (1888 - 1965).

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/vairagya-shatakam-by-bhartrhari/

Volunteers outside the USA: Swami Madhavananda died in 1965. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).
Vairagya Shatakam is one of the best books that gives the true picture of Renunciation. The book talks on how a common man gets lured by the endless desires which when satisfied fetches him nothing but the desires again. It concludes saying how these unsatiable desires mislead the man from knowing his real nature-omnipotence, omnipresence and omniscience! (Summary by Uday Sagar)
  • Target completion date: 2012-Jan-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://archive.org/details/VairagyaShatakam
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    ancient-texts, literature, philosophy, poetry

Keywords that describe the book:
    Barthrhari; Hundred Verses on Renuciation; Vairagya satakam
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Vairagya Shatakam . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Vairagya Shatakam , by Bharthrhari . Translated by Swami Madhavananda [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Vairagya Shatakam by Bharthrhari . Translated by Swami Madhavananda This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Vairagya Shatakam , by Bharthrhari . Translated by Swami Madhavananda "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    vairagyashatakam_##_.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. vairagyashatakam_01_bhartrhari.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Bharthrhari
    Album: Vairagya Shatakam

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: law - chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
A desire satisfied is but the seed from which springs the desire to find like satisfaction again.
The fire is not quenched by pouring oil on it; so desire is not quenched by the satisfaction of desire.

More at Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » August 18th, 2012, 7:38 pm

I'll MC this, Uday. I will have your MW ready tomorrow (my time).

I have made two small changes to your template. I changed the text link to the main Archive page for the book so listeners will be able to choose the format they prefer, and I have added the author's name to the suggested file name.

Let me know if you need anything!
Laurie Anne

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » August 18th, 2012, 9:17 pm

I am fine with the changes Laurie!
A desire satisfied is but the seed from which springs the desire to find like satisfaction again.
The fire is not quenched by pouring oil on it; so desire is not quenched by the satisfaction of desire.

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » August 19th, 2012, 8:38 am

Your MW is ready, Uday! If you would rather the preface have the number 0 instead of 1, let me know and I will change it.
Laurie Anne

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » August 19th, 2012, 10:08 am

Yea, I am wondering that I am seeing only 10 rows! I couldnt find one more for Preface. :)

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » August 19th, 2012, 10:31 am

Ah, you had 10 rows specified in the template -- would you like 11, then? It is a little confusing in the template sometimes. What I have to enter in the database is how many total rows and then the number to give the first row (0 or 1). Would you like your preface to be 0 or 1? It probably doesn't matter that much with this book, since there aren't numbered chapters. The numbers will need to included in your titles too.

Unfortunately I can only add rows at the bottom of the MW, so you will have to move all your titles down one row after you enter the preface.
Laurie Anne

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » August 21st, 2012, 12:24 am

Ah, you had 10 rows specified in the template
Yes, And i ticked the check box for separate Preface. I thought this would add preface besides these 10 rows. :)

However, Can you add one more row? Thanks.

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » August 21st, 2012, 5:43 am

That is the confusing part! Normally 10 sections with a preface means 10 total: preface plus 9 others. But it can be read the other way too. The template is being redesigned along with the website back-end, so this is a good reminder that we will need to make sure that the wording is clear in the new version.

I have added another section to the MW. I left the numbers beginning with 1, but if you would prefer to have your preface numbered 0 just let me know and I will change it.

Moving to Going Solo now! I'll advertise for a PL'er once you have a section or two ready for listening (unless you prefer to post the ad yourself).
Laurie Anne

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » August 22nd, 2012, 1:33 am

yea, It looks better if preface has 0. Can I have the same?

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » August 22nd, 2012, 2:19 am

Done. Changing the starting number to 0 moved all the titles down a line, so I copy/pasted them back to where they belong, adding the leading numbers while I was at it (in case you wonder where those came from). Please double check at some point to make sure they are all as they should be.

Have fun recording!
Laurie Anne

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » September 11th, 2012, 10:42 am

Hi Laurie,

I am done with the Preface, http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/vairagyashatakam_00_Preface.mp3 playing for 6 mins 13 secs.

I request you to post ad for PLing.
Thanks.

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » September 12th, 2012, 7:07 am

Great! I've posted the LW ad here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41939

I wrote that it is not necessary to understand Sanskrit because I don't believe we have many volunteers who do; but if you think it would be better for the PL'er be able to follow the Sanskrit, I will remove that line.

Please include the file duration in the MW. If you will go ahead and mark that section Complete, that will tell the PL'er that it is ready for listening.
Laurie Anne

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » September 13th, 2012, 12:08 am

Laurie,

The line is okay as we have few sanskrit text. We can read this too from http://www.scribd.com/doc/13153963/Vairagya-Satakam-of-Bharthari- which provides the exact english pronunciation of the sanskrit verses. :)

What do you say?

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » September 29th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Hi, Uday, I think my writing "English/Sanskrit" in the title of the Listeners post must have scared people away. :) I have PL'd the preface. Your reading is excellent, only a few notes:

1 - Volume is a bit low at 83.8 dB; can you amplify a bit? Also please turn up your input volume a little for the next section (easier than amplifying after the fact).

2 - Intro states "Chapter 1," which could be confusing to listeners since the file is labeled 00 and the next one will be 01. Please re-record the intro to state "Preface of..." instead. (You don't have to say "0" as long as you say Preface.)

3 - Needs "End of Preface" statement at the end.

The rest is PL very OK!

That other text source is an interesting find! We can't use it in the catalog because it is marked "CC - noncommercial" (not the same as public domain), but it might help PL'ers follow along with the Sanskrit. I read along with it for part of the preface and found a couple of text differences from the Archive version (very minor, just a couple of words that were omitted) -- but it would be fine to help people with the Sanskrit if they want it. I have to say, though, that I can't follow the phonetic pronunciation of the Sanskrit very well anyway... I am just as happy to let your Sanskrit wash over me and enjoy the sound while listening for repeats, dropped microphone, etc. :)
Laurie Anne

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar » October 5th, 2012, 5:59 am

Hi Laurie,

Thanks that you are PLing this book! I will take utmost care in minimizing the mistakes with sanskrit. :-)
Yes, as you said, that link can be used only to get the english pronunciation of sanskrit verses.

Preface is uploaded with the above said modifications.