Complete-SOLO - The Untempered Wind by Joanna Wood-alg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beeber

Post by beeber » January 23rd, 2021, 8:05 am

Sunrise2020 wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 2:22 am
I meant to ask you, what is the meaning of "bonded girl"?
Ah, well that's a sad story. The term they're using is actually "bound girl." It's a form of what has been called, in other places, "indentured service." As a way of dealing with poverty in Britain, poor children were delivered to homes in Canada — especially Ontario. These were sometimes orphans, but just as often children from families who had too many children, simply couldn't support them all, and had abandoned one or more of their children or let them be housed in a British charitable organization.

From that point, the children were legally "bound" to do service in the Canadian home until the age of 21. It would be fair to say they were "sold", as the receiving families did pay a fee for them. The receiving home was obliged to house and feed and "educate" them. Of course, the quality of care could vary widely, and standards of "education" were very loose. After all, in society's eyes, being trained to be a household servant would seem a perfectly appropriate "education" for a poor girl, so by that standard Mrs. Deans is, in fact, "educating" her bound girl, and we are told she has had, over time, a string of these girls in her service.

They were also called "Home Children," because the British charitable organizations that sent them over were called "Homes." You recall, in Chapter 10, when Homer gives a ride to Myron, he speaks sarcastically about Mrs. Deans' care: "Mrs. Deans is what Ma calls a 'mother in Israel,' and no mistake. How many she's mothered! All these Home girls!"

A little known fact is that for Canadians with "Anglo" ancestry, if they've been in the country for several generations, there's statistically a good possibility that they descend from Home Children.

Here's an excellent short article:
https://medium.com/exploring-history/canadas-forgotten-child-labourers-7ba7f670be79

And a Wikipedia article that puts it into a larger context. (They were sent to other countries as well. Britain officially apologized in 2010.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Children

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » January 24th, 2021, 9:23 am

Thanks for explaining that sad chapter in history of which I was completely ignorant! The articles are excellent and I'll see if one of the movies can be found on streaming.
==========
Susanne

beeber

Post by beeber » January 25th, 2021, 4:50 pm

Chapter 12 is ready for PL.

Here, the author tries her hand at another literary convention: the convention of the old man with prophetic vision who can teach wise lessons (like Gandalf in Lord of the Rings or Dumbledore in Harry Potter). You'll see old Mr. Carroll, with his unnaturally bright eyes, tell a story to Homer. The story is a parable: at first it seems to be about snakes, but then it turns out really to be about women. Unfortunately, I don't think it's entirely successful. Its creepy tone seems jarring, and, having read the rest of the book, I don't think there's any real follow-up or use made of this episode.

So, I don't think it really works. (But never mind. The next chapter coming up is a masterpiece!)

Bruce

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » January 26th, 2021, 8:46 am

beeber wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 4:50 pm
Chapter 12 is ready for PL.

Here, the author tries her hand at another literary convention: the convention of the old man with prophetic vision who can teach wise lessons (like Gandalf in Lord of the Rings or Dumbledore in Harry Potter). You'll see old Mr. Carroll, with his unnaturally bright eyes, tell a story to Homer. The story is a parable: at first it seems to be about snakes, but then it turns out really to be about women. Unfortunately, I don't think it's entirely successful. Its creepy tone seems jarring, and, having read the rest of the book, I don't think there's any real follow-up or use made of this episode.

So, I don't think it really works. (But never mind. The next chapter coming up is a masterpiece!)

Bruce
I was looking forward to Homer's visit through the front gate but helas, it didn't happen.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter :)
==========
Susanne

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » January 26th, 2021, 8:46 am

Chapter 12 is proofed.
==========
Susanne

beeber

Post by beeber » January 27th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Chapter 13 is ready for PL.

It seems to me that the author shows new mastery of narrative technique in this chapter. She does a great job of linking three parallel scenes, all on the theme of "religious" or "spiritual" experience, with the lyrics of church hymns echoing throughout the chapter.

It's Sunday, and first we drop in on the service in the village church. All the "respected and self-respecting" villagers are there, but, from what we see, there's nothing truly "spiritual" going on. Our focus is on a clown-figure — Clem Humphries — who endears himself to the reader by tormenting Mrs. Deans.

But then we go out of the church, to two characters who have overheard the hymn-singing, but prefer to head off into nature, seeking their own, personal ministry. The second episode in the chapter has Myron finding sanctuary in a shelter of thick vines, where she does "soul-searching" and confronts her own attitude towards her life and towards the people in the village. Then the third episode finds Homer Wilson heading out onto a miniature island in the lake, where he meditates in solitude, eventually seeing a path towards what he believes will be his "salvation."

And we understand that all three episodes were happening simultaneously, inviting our comparison.

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » January 28th, 2021, 10:08 am

What a delightful chapter! And the three parallel places for a Sunday retreat are well described.
==========
Susanne

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » January 30th, 2021, 12:15 pm

beeber wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 8:05 am
Sunrise2020 wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 2:22 am
I meant to ask you, what is the meaning of "bonded girl"?
Ah, well that's a sad story. The term they're using is actually "bound girl." It's a form of what has been called, in other places, "indentured service." As a way of dealing with poverty in Britain, poor children were delivered to homes in Canada — especially Ontario. These were sometimes orphans, but just as often children from families who had too many children, simply couldn't support them all, and had abandoned one or more of their children or let them be housed in a British charitable organization.

From that point, the children were legally "bound" to do service in the Canadian home until the age of 21. It would be fair to say they were "sold", as the receiving families did pay a fee for them. The receiving home was obliged to house and feed and "educate" them. Of course, the quality of care could vary widely, and standards of "education" were very loose. After all, in society's eyes, being trained to be a household servant would seem a perfectly appropriate "education" for a poor girl, so by that standard Mrs. Deans is, in fact, "educating" her bound girl, and we are told she has had, over time, a string of these girls in her service.

They were also called "Home Children," because the British charitable organizations that sent them over were called "Homes." You recall, in Chapter 10, when Homer gives a ride to Myron, he speaks sarcastically about Mrs. Deans' care: "Mrs. Deans is what Ma calls a 'mother in Israel,' and no mistake. How many she's mothered! All these Home girls!"

A little known fact is that for Canadians with "Anglo" ancestry, if they've been in the country for several generations, there's statistically a good possibility that they descend from Home Children.

Here's an excellent short article:
https://medium.com/exploring-history/canadas-forgotten-child-labourers-7ba7f670be79

And a Wikipedia article that puts it into a larger context. (They were sent to other countries as well. Britain officially apologized in 2010.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Children
The Canadian documentary about the home children isn't available for streaming. I watched the movie about a social worker who helped uncover the British scheme of shipping children to Australia. A a few happy moments of reunited siblings in a sea of sad abuse.
==========
Susanne

beeber

Post by beeber » January 30th, 2021, 12:20 pm

Sunrise2020 wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 12:15 pm

The Canadian documentary about the home children isn't available for streaming. I watched the movie about a social worker who helped uncover the British scheme of shipping children to Australia. A a few happy moments of reunited siblings in a sea of sad abuse.
Thanks for letting me know. I had put those on my "to-watch" list.

beeber

Post by beeber » January 30th, 2021, 4:53 pm

Chapter 14 is ready for PL.
... A long chapter, and, I think, a well-written one.

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » January 31st, 2021, 6:09 am

PL for Chapter 14 is okay and now I look forward to hearing what happens in the following year.
==========
Susanne

beeber

Post by beeber » February 2nd, 2021, 8:57 am

Chapter 15 is ready for PL.
Bruce

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » February 3rd, 2021, 7:10 am

beeber wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 8:57 am
Chapter 15 is ready for PL.
Bruce