Chapter 17 is ready for PL.
Bruce
PL is okay
==========
Susanne

beeber

Post by beeber » February 9th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Chapter 18 is ready for PL.

We noticed earlier in the book that she was experimenting with using careful descriptions of nature to establish mood and make meaning. I think she's getting pretty good at this. Starting at 8:30 in the recording, she describes the plants and insects and weather of "late autumn", and a chilly presence takes shape through those descriptions.

Back in Chapter 14, you noticed that we were told that "a year later" Homer would be involved in an important episode that would make people look back and say, "Who would have thought...?" Well, that time has come: it's one year later.

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » February 10th, 2021, 5:45 am

beeber wrote:
February 9th, 2021, 6:00 pm
Chapter 18 is ready for PL.

We noticed earlier in the book that she was experimenting with using careful descriptions of nature to establish mood and make meaning. I think she's getting pretty good at this. Starting at 8:30 in the recording, she describes the plants and insects and weather of "late autumn", and a chilly presence takes shape through those descriptions.

Back in Chapter 14, you noticed that we were told that "a year later" Homer would be involved in an important episode that would make people look back and say, "Who would have thought...?" Well, that time has come: it's one year later.
Chapter 17 had ended on such a dark note but I kept hope that Myron would find a measure of happiness. But now what tragedy.

I thought the scene at the little school was well told and how the children acted upon what they had heard from their parents.

PL of Chapter 18 is okay.
==========
Susanne

beeber

Post by beeber » February 11th, 2021, 10:47 am

Chapter 19 is ready for PL.
Bruce

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » February 12th, 2021, 4:48 am

beeber wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 10:47 am
Chapter 19 is ready for PL.
Bruce
PL of Chapter 19 is fine.
==========
Susanne

beeber

Post by beeber » February 14th, 2021, 7:44 am

Chapter 20 is ready for PL.

Bruce

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » February 16th, 2021, 10:46 am

beeber wrote:
February 14th, 2021, 7:44 am
Chapter 20 is ready for PL.

Bruce
PL is fine. I really enjoyed your reading of this chapter :clap:
==========
Susanne

beeber

Post by beeber » February 17th, 2021, 8:36 am

Chapter 21 is ready for PL.

It's an odd part of the book. In the previous chapter, we were introduced to a new character — the minister Philip Hardman.

Now, in a much earlier chapter, the author had given us Homer Wilson's backstory — the story of his ill-fated engagement to that girl in his college years. That, of course, was meaningful — a pointed contrast to what was going to happen in his new relationship with Myron.

In this chapter, I guess she decides she'd better do the same for Phililp Hardman, so she gives us his backstory, but this time the story seems to expand disproportionately and maybe grow out of control. She includes a detailed account of his father's life, and his mother, and one strange afternoon when he was briefly infatuated with Roman Catholicism and suffered from hallucinations as he stumbled along the road. And then, the oddest thing of all is that she ends by saying all this really has nothing to do with Myron Holder!

I don't know. It kind of feels as if when she got going on the minister's backstory, she got really interested and discovered she had created a character who deserved his own novel. (I'd read that novel!) But then she has to control her enthusiasm and bring us back to this book.

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » February 18th, 2021, 9:09 am

beeber wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 8:36 am
Chapter 21 is ready for PL.

It's an odd part of the book. In the previous chapter, we were introduced to a new character — the minister Philip Hardman.

Now, in a much earlier chapter, the author had given us Homer Wilson's backstory — the story of his ill-fated engagement to that girl in his college years. That, of course, was meaningful — a pointed contrast to what was going to happen in his new relationship with Myron.

In this chapter, I guess she decides she'd better do the same for Phililp Hardman, so she gives us his backstory, but this time the story seems to expand disproportionately and maybe grow out of control. She includes a detailed account of his father's life, and his mother, and one strange afternoon when he was briefly infatuated with Roman Catholicism and suffered from hallucinations as he stumbled along the road. And then, the oddest thing of all is that she ends by saying all this really has nothing to do with Myron Holder!

I don't know. It kind of feels as if when she got going on the minister's backstory, she got really interested and discovered she had created a character who deserved his own novel. (I'd read that novel!) But then she has to control her enthusiasm and bring us back to this book.
PL for Chapter 21 is okay.

The chapter did take us away from the main story. Perhaps you'd be interested to record the book about Philipp Hardman? I'll be glad to DPL it.
Did the author explain why Philip Hardman had come to Jamestown to conduct the revival meeting?
==========
Susanne

beeber

Post by beeber » February 18th, 2021, 9:28 am

Sunrise2020 wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 9:09 am
Perhaps you'd be interested to record the book about Philipp Hardman? I'll be glad to DPL it.
Did the author explain why Philip Hardman had come to Jamestown to conduct the revival meeting?
No, to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a book about Philip Hardman.

To be clear, what I meant was that it felt as is she was excited about this new character and could write a whole other book. And the character seems interesting enough that, if there was such a book, I'd want to read it. In reality, however, she didn't actually go ahead and do this. But if this were an episode in a modern TV show or movie, we'd be saying to ourselves, "Oh, I see they're getting ready to do a spin-off, or 'Part 2'."

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » February 18th, 2021, 11:38 am

beeber wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 9:28 am
Sunrise2020 wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 9:09 am
Perhaps you'd be interested to record the book about Philipp Hardman? I'll be glad to DPL it.
No, to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a book about Philip Hardman.

To be clear, what I meant was that it felt as is she was excited about this new character and could write a whole other book. And the character seems interesting enough that, if there was such a book, I'd want to read it. In reality, however, she didn't actually go ahead and do this. But if this were an episode in a modern TV show or movie, we'd be saying to ourselves, "Oh, I see they're getting ready to do a spin-off, or 'Part 2'."
I was so excited about the possibility of a sequel that I missed the "d". What a pity :(
==========
Susanne

beeber

Post by beeber » February 18th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Chapter 22 is ready for PL.

Bruce

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » February 19th, 2021, 5:48 am

beeber wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 2:45 pm
Chapter 22 is ready for PL.

Bruce