[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 04 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 22nd, 2021, 5:19 am

:lol: Caesar as heart-throb, now this is an interesting twist on the usual portrayal of this historical figure. A lovely story, thank you, Jim, for narrating it.

I only found a very small error:

> at 13:41: (p. 64) "on the evening of some mighty victory" - you say "you" instead of "on" which sounds a bit odd in context :hmm:

thanks

Sonia

neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 » January 22nd, 2021, 6:47 am

Embarrassing! Where was I when I reviewed this? Here it is:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0104_7_smith_128kb.mp3

17:51

Jim :oops:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 22nd, 2021, 6:56 am

neecheelok70 wrote:
January 22nd, 2021, 6:47 am
Embarrassing! Where was I when I reviewed this?
haha, that happens sometimes. All good and PL ok now, thank you :)

Sonia

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » January 26th, 2021, 10:24 am

Hi Sonia!
Sec 1 https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0104_1_smith_128kb.mp3 22:28 is ready for PL.

I think the noise is terrible, please let me know if it is. I did smth wrong with the cleaning :oops:
Thank you

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 27th, 2021, 3:09 am

HannaPonomarenko wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 10:24 am
Sec 1 https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0104_1_smith_128kb.mp3 22:28 is ready for PL.
I think the noise is terrible, please let me know if it is. I did smth wrong with the cleaning :oops:
Hanna, this is a wonderfully sensitive reading, and the story is really beautiful and with a happy ending. :9: I needed that now.

No errors at all, this can be marked PL ok right away. So cool to have you read for the Rover, and I hope it's not the last issue you are participating in 8-)

As for the noise, in the beginning I didn't notice anything, but in the final minutes, yes there was a terrible underlying buzz, I suspect it may have been from traffic maybe ? :hmm:

In any case, I took a sample from a piece of silence where the noise was occuring and then I ran the noise cleaning once more and for my ears it's all gone now :9: I reuploaded quickly, so if you wish to have a listen to the final minutes. I think you will agree that it sounds much clearer now.

I guess what you did "wrong" is that you took the sample from a part of the recording where this noise was not yet happening. So it couldn't be cleaned either. If you have this in future recordings, for example only 3 minutes where a noise occurs, take the sample from THAT part (somewhere were you have a breathing pause for example) and then run the noise cleaning over it all or only over those three minutes, depending how much it is.

Thank you !

Sonia

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » January 27th, 2021, 4:26 am

Kitty wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 3:09 am

Hanna, this is a wonderfully sensitive reading, and the story is really beautiful and with a happy ending. :9: I needed that now.
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it :D
No errors at all, this can be marked PL ok right away. So cool to have you read for the Rover, and I hope it's not the last issue you are participating in 8-)
It was my second longest section and I tried a new approach to record it because the story is worth to listen to) The journal seems interesting.
As for the noise, in the beginning I didn't notice anything, but in the final minutes, yes there was a terrible underlying buzz, I suspect it may have been from traffic maybe ? :hmm:
No, it's refregirator :mrgreen: I noise cleaned the whole record with a sample from the beginning. Sometimes there was no noise actually. But it turned out the noise machine produced different sounds in time :?
In any case, I took a sample from a piece of silence where the noise was occuring and then I ran the noise cleaning once more and for my ears it's all gone now :9: I reuploaded quickly, so if you wish to have a listen to the final minutes. I think you will agree that it sounds much clearer now.
Yes, it sounds great! You saved the day :clap:
I guess what you did "wrong" is that you took the sample from a part of the recording where this noise was not yet happening. So it couldn't be cleaned either. If you have this in future recordings, for example only 3 minutes where a noise occurs, take the sample from THAT part (somewhere were you have a breathing pause for example) and than run the noise cleaning over it all or only over those three minutes, depending how much it is.
Yeah, I'll lable noisy parts of a record and will clean them separately.

Thank you :9:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 30th, 2021, 5:53 am

NarratorKD wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 9:26 am
Wonderful! Will do! Thank you!!
I see you did and you passed :thumbs:

So here is your personal reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/15690 where all your projects will be listed. As I mentioned before, if you want to go by another reader name, for example your real name, let me know and I can still change that.

So now the section is officially yours. Have fun and if you need help with anything, let me know :) I also recommend reading carefully through the first post, where all the details on how to name the file, how to speak intro/outro/title correctly, can be found.

Sonia

NarratorKD

Post by NarratorKD » January 30th, 2021, 10:17 am

Wow, you are ON it!! :clap:

I'd like to change my official name on the recordings to Katrina Dixon.

Thank you so much!!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 30th, 2021, 11:18 am

NarratorKD wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 10:17 am
I'd like to change my official name on the recordings to Katrina Dixon.
ok here you go :) https://librivox.org/reader/15690

Sonia

NarratorKD

Post by NarratorKD » February 9th, 2021, 5:29 pm

I finally finished up my section! It's ready for Proof Listening! My understanding is that I now post it here?

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/Count_Julian_and_His_Family.mp3

:clap: :D

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 10th, 2021, 5:56 am

NarratorKD wrote:
February 9th, 2021, 5:29 pm
I finally finished up my section! It's ready for Proof Listening! My understanding is that I now post it here?
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/Count_Julian_and_His_Family.mp3
wohooo, congrats to your first official section. And you chose quite a long recording, so kudos for that. I really really enjoyed your narration (even though, the story was heavy on the emotions :shock: ), you have a good diction and agreeable voice and you put in the needed emphasis to make it all interesting. :9: Already I hope that you enjoyed the whole process and that I'll be hearing you in another Rover issue soon. 8-)

There are a few small things to correct still before I can mark this section ok though. No worries, you do not have to re-record it all from scratch. Please don't (I say that to every new reader). It's too much double work for you as reader and for me as listener ;) Spot editing is what we highly recommend at LV. It's very easy once you get the hang of it, so learning it from the start is quite handy. If you need any help on how to edit, please let me know and I can give you details.

This is what needs doing:

> your volume is too low (only 84.5 dB) – we accept between 86 and 92 dB. Please amplify with +5, to get as close to a good average of 89 as possible.

> at the beginning, you need to speak the full LV disclaimer intro, which you can always read in the very first post.
Here it should run like this:
Section 5 of The Rover Volume 1 Number 4.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain.
For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
The Rover Volume 1 Number 4, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree
Section 5: Count Julian and his Family, by Washington Irving

> at 8:06: (p. 59) part of sentence missing: "preparatory to an attempt, by force of arms, to subvert the Moslem domination. In his fury..." – underlined part is missing. Also you say "attack" instead of "attempt"

> at 22:40: (p. 61) stumble: "or bestowed upon it a malediction" – I think you say "maledictation"

> from 22:55-22:57: over 2 seconds of silence always feels too long for a listener. I recommend staying under 2 seconds, even between paragraphs, usually 1-1.5 seconds is enough

> at 22:57: end disclaimer is also detailed in the first post, please say "End of Section 5". You can cut the public domain reference at this point, since you already spoke it in the intro disclaimer

> at the end: we need a standard of 5 seconds of silence, you barely have one. Please add 4 seconds

> and since you have to reupload anyway, please note the example of how to correctly name the finished files in the first post.
Yours should be named: rover0104_5_smith_128kb

> oh and please always mention the length of the recording when you post the link, so I can update the Magic Window accordingly

thank you, a really wonderful reading as starters. :thumbs:

Sonia

NarratorKD

Post by NarratorKD » February 13th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Kitty wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 5:56 am

wohooo, congrats to your first official section. And you chose quite a long recording, so kudos for that. I really really enjoyed your narration (even though, the story was heavy on the emotions :shock: ), you have a good diction and agreeable voice and you put in the needed emphasis to make it all interesting. :9: Already I hope that you enjoyed the whole process and that I'll be hearing you in another Rover issue soon. 8-)

There are a few small things to correct still before I can mark this section ok though. No worries, you do not have to re-record it all from scratch. Please don't (I say that to every new reader). It's too much double work for you as reader and for me as listener ;) Spot editing is what we highly recommend at LV. It's very easy once you get the hang of it, so learning it from the start is quite handy. If you need any help on how to edit, please let me know and I can give you details.

This is what needs doing:

> your volume is too low (only 84.5 dB) – we accept between 86 and 92 dB. Please amplify with +5, to get as close to a good average of 89 as possible.

> at the beginning, you need to speak the full LV disclaimer intro, which you can always read in the very first post.
Here it should run like this:
Section 5 of The Rover Volume 1 Number 4.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain.
For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
The Rover Volume 1 Number 4, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree
Section 5: Count Julian and his Family, by Washington Irving

> at 8:06: (p. 59) part of sentence missing: "preparatory to an attempt, by force of arms, to subvert the Moslem domination. In his fury..." – underlined part is missing. Also you say "attack" instead of "attempt"

> at 22:40: (p. 61) stumble: "or bestowed upon it a malediction" – I think you say "maledictation"

> from 22:55-22:57: over 2 seconds of silence always feels too long for a listener. I recommend staying under 2 seconds, even between paragraphs, usually 1-1.5 seconds is enough

> at 22:57: end disclaimer is also detailed in the first post, please say "End of Section 5". You can cut the public domain reference at this point, since you already spoke it in the intro disclaimer

> at the end: we need a standard of 5 seconds of silence, you barely have one. Please add 4 seconds

> and since you have to reupload anyway, please note the example of how to correctly name the finished files in the first post.
Yours should be named: rover0104_5_smith_128kb

> oh and please always mention the length of the recording when you post the link, so I can update the Magic Window accordingly

thank you, a really wonderful reading as starters. :thumbs:

Sonia
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0104_5_smith_128kb.mp3

It runs at 23m 15s.

Alright, I did my best to get it to sound consistent, but I had some issues. I think I raised the volume enough (still trying to figure out why the numbers don't show the way others speak of them, so it's still a learning curve for me!)
I fixed the reading problems, and changed the intro and end blurb, and adjusted the silence between a few of the paragraphs and at the beginning and end!
Hopefully I got it all!
:lol:
I loved reading this! Give me some good, old fashioned gothic stories and I'm in heaven!

SimonaLovin

Post by SimonaLovin » February 13th, 2021, 5:13 pm

Hi Kitty,

I have uploaded section 6, Chess Play.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0104_6_smith_128kb.mp3

Duration 17:18.

Please let me now what you think.

Thanks,
Simona

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 14th, 2021, 2:54 am

NarratorKD wrote:Alright, I did my best to get it to sound consistent, but I had some issues.
the corrections were brilliantly inserted to my ears, I don't hear a difference in sound. Very well done. :thumbs:
I think I raised the volume enough (still trying to figure out why the numbers don't show the way others speak of them, so it's still a learning curve for me!)
I am not sure what you did, but the volume is still the same. :hmm: Are you using Audacity ? Here is the step-by-step what you should do, to this your current file:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 5 in the upper box (called: amplification dB). Change nothing in the lower box !
> press ok

This should get you to a good average of about 89 dB.

To check your volume level before you upload the file to LV you can use the Checker: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker Run your mp3 file through and it will tell you the volume. In your case it was 83.9 dB. So you can easily calculate how far off you are till 89 dB: (89-84 = 5) So the number you have to input in the Amplify box should be 5. It's quite a handy program and I use it on all my files :)
adjusted the silence between a few of the paragraphs
:? ah thank you for notifying me, but as soon as you change even a small bit (even only silences) it is helpful to give the PLer the exact time stamps, because we have to Spot check that not some part of the text is also cut out by mistake. (it already happened to files, so we are cautious). Now since you didn't give me exact spots to check, I had to err on the side of caution and relisten to it all. It does save time to the PLer to give exact spots of all the corrections done. That is why usually you should only correct the Spots that are mentioned in the PL notes.

No worries this time, I listen to it all and all is well :) So only the volume needs changing, nothing else ! Could you reupload one final time please ?
I loved reading this! Give me some good, old fashioned gothic stories and I'm in heaven!
excellent, maybe I'll hear you again in another Rover story. :9: Have you seen the latest issue that still has some sections open ? viewtopic.php?f=19&t=85345 Not sure if they are ghost stories, but they sound interesting nonetheless :)

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 14th, 2021, 2:56 am

SimonaLovin wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 5:13 pm
I have uploaded section 6, Chess Play.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0104_6_smith_128kb.mp3
Duration 17:18.
Please let me now what you think.
thank you so much, Simona. I'm going to have breakfast first, but then I will listen to your story with interest and give you feedback. So stay tuned.

We are near completion of this project. :9:

Sonia