COMPLETE - SOLO Katharine von Bora: Dr. Martin Luther's Wife by Armin Stein, Translated by E.A. Endlich-lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » January 23rd, 2021, 8:32 am

djsmith wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 9:27 am
I have tried several times to log in, following your directions. I get to the screen that says an email has been sent, but I never get an email. I checked my profile to ensure that my email address is correct, but I still don't have a password. Do you know whom I should ask?
It looks as if this has been resolved. You've made a ton of progress this week.

I'm going to move you over to going solo. I've also placed an ad for a listener. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=85134

djsmith

Post by djsmith » January 24th, 2021, 5:27 am

linny wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 8:32 am
djsmith wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 9:27 am
I have tried several times to log in, following your directions. I get to the screen that says an email has been sent, but I never get an email. I checked my profile to ensure that my email address is correct, but I still don't have a password. Do you know whom I should ask?
It looks as if this has been resolved. You've made a ton of progress this week.

I'm going to move you over to going solo. I've also placed an ad for a listener. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=85134

I posted in the help needed section and discovered my email was in two different places, but correct in only one place.
This book is really compelling, and the chapters are short, so I hope someone picks it up soon.
Thanks!
Dory Smith
https://www.facebook.com/HighSchoolAdvisor
Constructive Criticism appreciated!

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » January 24th, 2021, 5:47 am

Don't worry. Everything at LV eventually gets done. Don't let the lack of a DPL hold you back from recording.

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » January 25th, 2021, 7:11 pm

Hello, Dory -

I can't commit to another DPL spot right now, but I had a moment, so I pulled section 1 to prooflisten for you.

and - Section 1 is PL OK :thumbs:

Oh! This is your first solo book? Nice recording. LibriVox is lucky to have you onboard. :)

The only comment I would suggest is to perhaps run Noise Reduction at a slightly lower intensity on future files. (In some spots, your voice gets that tinny sound that comes from a little too much of the noise cleaning - but it doesn't detract from your reading here, so there is zero need to redo anything.)

Hopefully you'll get a DPL soon. I'll check back the next time I have a moment again.
~Lynette in Colorado, USA
My Sections
Post-Covid catch-up focus follows this order:
Wives and Daughters alternating with Little Men
Belinda alternating with The Bat
Hearts of Three

djsmith

Post by djsmith » January 26th, 2021, 5:07 am

LCaulkins wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 7:11 pm
Hello, Dory -

I can't commit to another DPL spot right now, but I had a moment, so I pulled section 1 to prooflisten for you.

and - Section 1 is PL OK :thumbs:

Oh! This is your first solo book? Nice recording. LibriVox is lucky to have you onboard. :)

The only comment I would suggest is to perhaps run Noise Reduction at a slightly lower intensity on future files. (In some spots, your voice gets that tinny sound that comes from a little too much of the noise cleaning - but it doesn't detract from your reading here, so there is zero need to redo anything.)

Hopefully you'll get a DPL soon. I'll check back the next time I have a moment again.
Thank you! I noticed that tinny sound myself, but I didn't know what caused it or how to fix it. Thanks for listening in!
Dory Smith

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » January 26th, 2021, 5:13 am

For noise removal I rely on analyze spectrum. I find unless my recording area changes it's always the same settings. :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzVxubRO4gI

VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin » January 26th, 2021, 7:21 am

I can take on the DPL role. Looks like there's a long backlog to listen to already! :lol:

djsmith

Post by djsmith » January 26th, 2021, 9:52 am

VocalPenguin wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 7:21 am
I can take on the DPL role. Looks like there's a long backlog to listen to already! :lol:
Awesome. I look forward to working with you.
Dory Smith

VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin » January 26th, 2021, 7:36 pm

I don't have access to the magic window yet, so I can't mark these off, but:

Chapters 2, 3, and 4 are all PL OK!

For some constructive (as well as subtle and nitpicky) criticism though, I would recommend adding a little more blank space between thoughts/sentences sometimes. Occasionally, you'll start in on a new sentence so quickly, that it isn't clear that the previous sentence has ended, which can leave the listener a little disoriented. I notice this especially at the ends of chapters, where the "end of chapter _" blends in with the text proper, and then it takes a second to process that the chapter ended, as opposed to the text mentioning the end of something.

I look forward to listening to some more. This sounds like a great story, so I can't wait to hear what happens next!

djsmith

Post by djsmith » January 27th, 2021, 5:31 am

linny wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 5:13 am
For noise removal I rely on analyze spectrum. I find unless my recording area changes it's always the same settings. :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzVxubRO4gI
That was very helpful--thank you!
Dory Smith

djsmith

Post by djsmith » January 27th, 2021, 5:32 am

VocalPenguin wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 7:36 pm

For some constructive (as well as subtle and nitpicky) criticism though, I would recommend adding a little more blank space between thoughts/sentences sometimes. Occasionally, you'll start in on a new sentence so quickly, that it isn't clear that the previous sentence has ended, which can leave the listener a little disoriented. I notice this especially at the ends of chapters, where the "end of chapter _" blends in with the text proper, and then it takes a second to process that the chapter ended, as opposed to the text mentioning the end of something.

I look forward to listening to some more. This sounds like a great story, so I can't wait to hear what happens next!
Thank you. I was clearly over-correcting since I had the habit of leaving too much space. I'll work on that.
Dory Smith

djsmith

Post by djsmith » January 28th, 2021, 5:56 am

VocalPenguin wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 7:36 pm

I'm sure you would prefer to listen to the chapters in order, but would you mind skipping to chapter 11? I've implemented the suggestions from you and another listener, and I would like to get your feedback on the new work. Please, be subtle and nitpicky! :D
Dory Smith

VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin » January 28th, 2021, 6:39 pm

djsmith wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 5:56 am
I'm sure you would prefer to listen to the chapters in order, but would you mind skipping to chapter 11? I've implemented the suggestions from you and another listener, and I would like to get your feedback on the new work. Please, be subtle and nitpicky! :D
Chapters 5 and 11 are PL OK!

Chapter 11 sounds good. The noise reduction tinniness is no longer noticeable, and the slight extra pauses made things flow a bit more cleanly. You could go even farther with adding blank space if you want to experiment with that, since silence can change meaning, allowing for even more artistic expression! That's more something to delve into if you're interested though, not a needed change.

One slight note to keep in mind for future recordings is that you aren't always saying the full disclaimer at the start. Sometimes you're only saying "This LibriVox recording is in the public domain", instead of the full "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org". I don't think it's worth changing it in the chapters you've already recorded, but I think you should say the whole thing in the future.

I have nothing too subtle and nitpicky to add this time, but I'm sure I can find something for next time! :lol:

VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin » January 29th, 2021, 10:21 am

Chapters 6 and 7 are also PL OK! I still don't have Magic Window access though, so feel free to mark them off yourself.

djsmith

Post by djsmith » January 29th, 2021, 1:06 pm

VocalPenguin wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 6:39 pm
djsmith wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 5:56 am
Chapters 5 and 11 are PL OK!

Chapter 11 sounds good. The noise reduction tinniness is no longer noticeable, and the slight extra pauses made things flow a bit more cleanly. You could go even farther with adding blank space if you want to experiment with that, since silence can change meaning, allowing for even more artistic expression! That's more something to delve into if you're interested though, not a needed change.

One slight note to keep in mind for future recordings is that you aren't always saying the full disclaimer at the start. Sometimes you're only saying "This LibriVox recording is in the public domain", instead of the full "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org". I don't think it's worth changing it in the chapters you've already recorded, but I think you should say the whole thing in the future.

I have nothing too subtle and nitpicky to add this time, but I'm sure I can find something for next time! :lol:
Thanks for the feedback. About the disclaimer, the first page of this forum says that since it is a solo read, I can use the shortened disclaimer for all after the first chapter.
Dory Smith