Act 1, scene ii

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/1henryiv_1_2.mp3
The time on this scene is 13:45

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 » February 18th, 2021, 1:15 pm

Hamlet wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 11:21 am
Narrator 1_3 is lacking the final "Exeunt."

Also, I have a question. At 0:26 the Project Gutenberg page abbreviates Northumberland to "North" in the stage direction. The audio file simply says "To North." Should it be "To Northumberland? Or maybe this is too minor to matter.

Brad
I misinterpreted the note and thought it meant "to North" instead of "Northumberland." I'd be happy to correct it since I need to add an "exeunt" to this file anyway.

WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe » February 18th, 2021, 4:53 pm

Thank you for bringing us to the finish line in terms of recordings, Brad. 5.1 and 5.4 are PL OK!

For 5.3, near the end of your first line "...there's not three of my hundred and fifty left alive," the word 'alive' is missing. I'm not sure if you think it should be added or not, because the meaning doesn't change too drastically without it. However, I think what it does clarify is that Falstaff's men are dead rather than deserted him. So perhaps, to make that obvious, we should add the word in?
Tomas Peter

Hamlet

Post by Hamlet » February 18th, 2021, 7:43 pm

I'll make that correction tomorrow. I'm surprised I left that word out actually
You didn't mention 3_3 and 4_2. Are they all right as well?

Tomorrow I'll finish up the editing of 1_3 and then start on the mammoth 2_4--not the longest scene in Shakespeare, but certainly in the top ten.

Brad

WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe » February 18th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Hamlet wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 7:43 pm
You didn't mention 3_3 and 4_2. Are they all right as well?
Those are Craig's scenes, so I'll leave it to him to PL. Or he can start editing and if any corrections need to be made, he'll let you know. It's up to him.

Also, for the 1.3 narration, if you feel it'll be faster, you can find the words "Northumberland" and "exeunt" from another file and paste them into those spots. That could work, and then Kelly wouldn't have to submit a corrected file. But I'll let you decide.
Tomas Peter

Hamlet

Post by Hamlet » February 18th, 2021, 9:19 pm

Oh of course, I should have realized you weren't editing those. Actually, I have been forgetting to announce files as PL Okay as I edit. Everything in 1_3 is okay, except for the aforementioned narration correction.

Brad

Hamlet

Post by Hamlet » February 19th, 2021, 6:24 am

I am in the process of editing the mammoth 2_4 and have gotten to the end of Hal's prank on the drawer Francis. I decided that due to the length of the scene, I would PL as I go, listening to every speech after I edit it. So far, I have noticed the following:

Poins has a total of seven speeches in a row in which he simply says, "Francis." There are only six on the Poins file. No worries, I simply reused one of the earlier ones. Is that all right?

On the Narrator file at 1:49 and again at 2:05, "Vintner" sounds mispronounced to my ear. I think she left out the second "n" sound from the middle of the word, making it sound like "vinter. Again, I'm not sure if it matters much. Is it maybe a British pronunciation of which I wasn't aware?

I'm relatively new to PLing, so I admit I might be a bit too picky lol

--

Now, a suggestion that crossed my mind - One stage direction reads, "Here they both call him; the drawer stands amazed, not knowing which way to go." I think it might be fun if after, "both call him" we insert both Poins and Hal shouting "Francis!" simultaneously before I continue with the rest of the direction. How does that sound? I can once again repeat one of the earlier calls from Poins, but I'd need one from Hal.

Brad

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 » February 19th, 2021, 6:43 am

Hamlet wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 6:24 am
I am in the process of editing the mammoth 2_4 and have gotten to the end of Hal's prank on the drawer Francis. I decided that due to the length of the scene, I would PL as I go, listening to every speech after I edit it. So far, I have noticed the following:

Poins has a total of seven speeches in a row in which he simply says, "Francis." There are only six on the Poins file. No worries, I simply reused one of the earlier ones. Is that all right?

On the Narrator file at 1:49 and again at 2:05, "Vintner" sounds mispronounced to my ear. I think she left out the second "n" sound from the middle of the word, making it sound like "vinter. Again, I'm not sure if it matters much. Is it maybe a British pronunciation of which I wasn't aware?

I'm relatively new to PLing, so I admit I might be a bit too picky lol

--

Now, a suggestion that crossed my mind - One stage direction reads, "Here they both call him; the drawer stands amazed, not knowing which way to go." I think it might be fun if after, "both call him" we insert both Poins and Hal shouting "Francis!" simultaneously before I continue with the rest of the direction. How does that sound? I can once again repeat one of the earlier calls from Poins, but I'd need one from Hal.

Brad
I just didn't enunciate clearly enough on "vintner." I'm correcting the other narration file right now, so I'll do this one too.

Hamlet

Post by Hamlet » February 19th, 2021, 6:49 am

Okay, thanks. I had thought it might just have been my ear not picking up that second "n."

Brad

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 » February 19th, 2021, 7:06 am

Hamlet

Post by Hamlet » February 19th, 2021, 10:48 am

Here is the completed 1_3. Total running time 17:31

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/1henryiv_1_3.mp3

Brad

Hamlet

Post by Hamlet » February 19th, 2021, 11:21 am

I'm further along with the editing of 2_4. There is a missing Peto line (it comes a long time before his other lines so it's easy to miss). "No, no, they were not bound."

Brad

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 » February 19th, 2021, 1:10 pm

Hamlet wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 11:21 am
I'm further along with the editing of 2_4. There is a missing Peto line (it comes a long time before his other lines so it's easy to miss). "No, no, they were not bound."

Brad
Okay -- I'll have it to you in a bit...

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 » February 19th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Hamlet wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 11:21 am

Brad
here's the corrected file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/1henryiv_peto_2_4.mp3

WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe » February 19th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Thanks for 1.3, Brad! Gave it a listen and it's PL OK! That means Act 1 can now be assembled. I'll get to that later on.
Hamlet wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 6:24 am
That's a good idea. Because I'll be finalizing the act, I can always quickly record my line during that process. I'll make a note of it for when the time comes. For now you can just keep Craig's shout for this file so I know where to insert it.
Tomas Peter