COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 080 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
ColleenMc
Posts: 2172
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » February 7th, 2021, 2:40 pm

No but I want to now!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

soupy
Posts: 4328
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » February 8th, 2021, 8:49 am

Thanks for the report about Lundy Island Colleen :D

One error noted:

7:11 Finally, however, he ceased to enjoy the prosperity of the wicked, and being discovered in a nefarious scheme to rob the insurance offices Some repetition here

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge

ColleenMc
Posts: 2172
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » February 8th, 2021, 11:22 am

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

soupy
Posts: 4328
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » February 8th, 2021, 11:24 am

Thanks Colleen :D

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge

KevinS
Posts: 11000
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » February 12th, 2021, 12:57 pm


Sue Anderson
Posts: 4230
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » February 12th, 2021, 7:44 pm

KevinS wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 12:57 pm
"Alexander Sergyeyevich Pushkin" from Unsung Heroes by Elizabeth Ross Haynes (1883-1953)

https://archive.org/details/unsungheroes00haynrich/page/104/mode/1up

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf080_pushkin_haynes_ks_128kb.mp3 (11:30)
Thank you for this bio of Pushkin! :D

KevinS
Posts: 11000
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » February 12th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Sue Anderson wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 7:44 pm
KevinS wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 12:57 pm
"Alexander Sergyeyevich Pushkin" from Unsung Heroes by Elizabeth Ross Haynes (1883-1953)

https://archive.org/details/unsungheroes00haynrich/page/104/mode/1up

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf080_pushkin_haynes_ks_128kb.mp3 (11:30)
Thank you for this bio of Pushkin! :D
It's a funny sort of thing, but clever in the telling. The whole book is worthwhile as it draws portraits of people of color, some of whom may have been forgotten.

soupy
Posts: 4328
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » February 12th, 2021, 8:11 pm

Thanks Kevin :D

A life shortened for no good reason.

one error noted:

4:02 They sat for a few moments without saying word. Some repetition

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge

KevinS
Posts: 11000
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » February 13th, 2021, 9:58 am

soupy wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 8:11 pm
Thanks Kevin :D

A life shortened for no good reason.

one error noted:

4:02 They sat for a few moments without saying word. Some repetition

Craig
Thank you, Craig. Correction made.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf080_pushkin_haynes_ks_128kb.mp3 (11:28)

dcelkind
Posts: 106
Joined: December 29th, 2014, 11:46 am
Location: Edmonton
Contact:

Post by dcelkind » February 13th, 2021, 11:05 am

Howdy folks,

Here's another one for the LibriVox SNF (is that said aloud as "sniff"?) collection:

Title: Review: P. Coffey, The Science of Logic
Author: Ludwig Wittgenstein
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf080_reviewpcoffeythescienceoflogic_wittgenstein_ldce_128kb.mp3
Text: http://fair-use.org/the-cambridge-review/1913/03/06/reviews/the-science-of-logic
Length: 3:56 minutes

Thanks kindly.

Yours Truly,
Landon
"We can suggest no substitute for 'metaphysical'." The King's English, 'Malaprops'
https://www.landondcelkind.com

soupy
Posts: 4328
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » February 13th, 2021, 2:24 pm

PLOK Kevin :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4230
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » February 13th, 2021, 2:59 pm

dcelkind wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 11:05 am
Howdy folks,

Here's another one for the LibriVox SNF (is that said aloud as "sniff"?) collection:

Title: Review: P. Coffey, The Science of Logic
Author: Ludwig Wittgenstein
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf080_reviewpcoffeythescienceoflogic_wittgenstein_ldce_128kb.mp3
Text: http://fair-use.org/the-cambridge-review/1913/03/06/reviews/the-science-of-logic
Length: 3:56 minutes

Thanks kindly.

Yours Truly,
Landon
Hi Landon, Thanks for your contribution to vol. 080 of Wittgenstein's dismissive review of Coffey's book, The Science of Logic! :D I was hoping we could find a source for your read which pointed directly to the relevant (March 1913) [vol. 34?] issue of the Cambridge Review, instead of the "Fair Use Repository." However, Hathi is missing the relevant volume, and I see that complete runs of the Cambridge Review are very scarce ("The Cambridge Review, by Arthur Sherbo, https://www.jstor.org/stable/40372087?read-now=1&seq=1). Given your sterling academic credentials, I am willing to go with your provided source.

As to the pronunciation of SNF... On principle, I am adverse to acronyms, but "Short Nonfiction Collection" is a lot to type repeatedly, and so, as BC, I finally gave up and adopted "SNF" for short hand. Frankly, I had never considered how SNF should be pronounced out loud (not having had the necessity to do so), but in my mind, I pronounce SNF as "S&F" (makes me think of a grocery chain), or "EssenEff" (which sounds like the name of the city plus "Eff," and EFF, according to my just completed search on the internet is an acronym for "Environmental Fuel Fee" relating to the surcharge on high sulfur fuel used in marine shipping.... You're free to pronounced SNF any way you want.

dcelkind
Posts: 106
Joined: December 29th, 2014, 11:46 am
Location: Edmonton
Contact:

Post by dcelkind » February 13th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Howdy Sue,

Yes, it would be nice to have the missing text. I know of no open-access version of the original available on the web. It is reprinted in McGuinness' book and in The Cambridge Mind:
  • 1913, “On Logic and How Not to Do It”, The Cambridge Review 34 (1912–13), 351; reprinted in Brian McGuinness, Wittgenstein: A Life, Berkeley & Los Angeles, University of California Press: 169–170.
  • "On Logic, And How Not to Do It": Review of P. Coffey, The Science of Logic, in the Cambridge Review, 6 March 1913, as reprinted in E. Homberger et al., The Cambridge Mind, London: Jonathan Cape
On the other hand, it is in the public domain, so I should probably just post it in a nicer PDF format somewhere. :D

Yours Truly,
Landon
"We can suggest no substitute for 'metaphysical'." The King's English, 'Malaprops'
https://www.landondcelkind.com

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19552
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » February 14th, 2021, 2:15 am

Here is my contribution to this volume! I only read the main part and omitted the footnotes.

The Limits of Atheism
by George J. Holyoake (1817 - 1906), new author: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Holyoake
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36798

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf080_limitsofatheism_holyoake_ava_128kb.mp3
45:14.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4230
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » February 14th, 2021, 7:18 am

Availle wrote:
February 14th, 2021, 2:15 am
Here is my contribution to this volume! I only read the main part and omitted the footnotes.

The Limits of Atheism
by George J. Holyoake (1817 - 1906), new author: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Holyoake
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36798

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf080_limitsofatheism_holyoake_ava_128kb.mp3
45:14.
Hi Ava, Thank you for your contribution to vol. 080! :)

Post Reply