[COMPLETE] A Selection from the Norse Tales for the Use of Children by Sir George-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
silverquill
Posts: 18339
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » March 24th, 2021, 8:22 pm

Caelenhad wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 2:36 pm
Hello again, Larry!

Sorry I couldn't respond directly to your PM; that function isn't available to me yet.

I think I took care of the issues in my 1-minute test, but let me know if I can fix this up in any way. Happy to finally be contributing to the commons with you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_17_dasent_128kb.mp3 (16:53)

If you don't mind, I can be credited as SCaudill. Thanks!
Oh, fantastic!
We'll have a proof listen report for you soon, so stay tuned.
Thank you.
~ Larry

lomond
Posts: 2141
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, area

Post by lomond » March 24th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Greetings -

In reading Chapters 28, 30, and 32, Silverquill demonstrated his fine repertoire of troll and goat voices.

Chapters 30 and 32 are PL OK.

Chapter 28 has one little correction to make:

TIME: 04:10 TEXT: “Well!” said the lad, “there’s no help for it but to go to the North" Reading has "hope" instead of "help".

Lomond

lomond
Posts: 2141
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, area

Post by lomond » March 24th, 2021, 9:17 pm

silverquill wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 8:22 pm
Caelenhad wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 2:36 pm
Hello again, Larry!

Sorry I couldn't respond directly to your PM; that function isn't available to me yet.

I think I took care of the issues in my 1-minute test, but let me know if I can fix this up in any way. Happy to finally be contributing to the commons with you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_17_dasent_128kb.mp3 (16:53)

If you don't mind, I can be credited as SCaudill. Thanks!
Oh, fantastic!
We'll have a proof listen report for you soon, so stay tuned.
Thank you.
Greetings -

Welcome to LibriVox, Caelenhad. I feel it is my responsibility to warn you that participation in LibriVox can become habit-forming, nay, almost an addiction. So, be prepared to enjoy. :) :)

Some notes on Chapter 17:

Your reading was good with a calm, matter-of-fact voice. I did notice a bit of sibilance (that dreaded sharp "ess" sound) and I suggest you check out the first part of this video for some tips on reducing it. https://urm.academy/death-to-sibilance/

For some reason, there is a very long silent period after the recording...everything after 8:35 is silence. Lop off everything after 8:40 and this recording will be PL OK.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Lomond

lomond
Posts: 2141
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, area

Post by lomond » March 24th, 2021, 9:27 pm

Jessat wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 1:02 am
[

Thank you for your feedback!

A revamp of section 36,

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_36_dasent_128kb.mp3
13:30

I gain boosted the whole thing by 5 dB and did a bit of noise cleaning. I couldn't hear any obvious distortion but I didn't listen to it at max volume (my ears tend to be a bit sensitive). It passed when I ran it through the checker.


Regards,

Jess
Greetings -

My humble apologies for not getting to this sooner.

Everything sounds just fine now. Thanks for the extra work.

Lomond

lomond
Posts: 2141
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, area

Post by lomond » March 24th, 2021, 9:49 pm

silverquill wrote:
March 23rd, 2021, 8:57 pm
missfreudianslit wrote:
March 23rd, 2021, 7:13 pm

I'm all done! This is my first time using Audition and my first real reading of anything of importance, so I hope it sounds okay. I know it's not perfect but I'm pretty proud. Thanks! (btw I left my name off the recording on purpose)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_37_dasent_128kb.mp3
This is a great accomplishment, so congratulations. :clap:
We are running a bit behind on proof listening, but please stay tuned for you report.

Oh, we also like to have you give us the length of the file (mm:ss) when you post the upload link.

Thank you so much!
Greetings -

You should be proud. Chapter 37 was nicely read and easily listed as PL OK.

How soon before we hear some more from you?

Lomond

silverquill
Posts: 18339
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » March 24th, 2021, 11:02 pm

lomond wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 8:34 pm
Greetings -

Chapter 28 has one little correction to make:

TIME: 04:10 TEXT: “Well!” said the lad, “there’s no help for it but to go to the North" Reading has "hope" instead of "help".

Lomond

Read that again the same way! :lol: Did another take, and I think I got it right, so it's up Ready for Spot PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_28_dasent_128kb.mp3
~ Larry

Caelenhad
Posts: 4
Joined: February 9th, 2021, 7:52 am

Post by Caelenhad » March 24th, 2021, 11:44 pm

lomond wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 9:17 pm
silverquill wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 8:22 pm
Caelenhad wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 2:36 pm
Hello again, Larry!

Sorry I couldn't respond directly to your PM; that function isn't available to me yet.

I think I took care of the issues in my 1-minute test, but let me know if I can fix this up in any way. Happy to finally be contributing to the commons with you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_17_dasent_128kb.mp3 (16:53)

If you don't mind, I can be credited as SCaudill. Thanks!
Oh, fantastic!
We'll have a proof listen report for you soon, so stay tuned.
Thank you.
Greetings -

Welcome to LibriVox, Caelenhad. I feel it is my responsibility to warn you that participation in LibriVox can become habit-forming, nay, almost an addiction. So, be prepared to enjoy. :) :)

Some notes on Chapter 17:

Your reading was good with a calm, matter-of-fact voice. I did notice a bit of sibilance (that dreaded sharp "ess" sound) and I suggest you check out the first part of this video for some tips on reducing it. https://urm.academy/death-to-sibilance/

For some reason, there is a very long silent period after the recording...everything after 8:35 is silence. Lop off everything after 8:40 and this recording will be PL OK.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Lomond
Hi Lomond, and thanks for the warning! Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to disregard it entirely - I've already got a taste for it.

Thank you for the tips and resources! I'll be sure to follow up and get that taken care of before my next recordings. Weird about the long silence - it's most likely left over from a mistake I made stitching the track together.

I fixed it and reuploaded it for you here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_17_dasent_128kb.mp3 (8:40)

Looking forward to working with you all.

silverquill
Posts: 18339
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » March 25th, 2021, 8:12 am

Caelenhad wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 11:44 pm

I fixed it and reuploaded it for you here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_17_dasent_128kb.mp3 (8:40)

Looking forward to working with you all.
Thank you. I've marked it Ready for PL.

Ah, the LV bug has bitten. :lol:
But, that's a good thing. Glad to have you as a part of this unique global community.
~ Larry

missfreudianslit
Posts: 12
Joined: January 23rd, 2021, 3:28 pm
Contact:

Post by missfreudianslit » March 25th, 2021, 2:48 pm

lomond wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 9:49 pm
silverquill wrote:
March 23rd, 2021, 8:57 pm
missfreudianslit wrote:
March 23rd, 2021, 7:13 pm

I'm all done! This is my first time using Audition and my first real reading of anything of importance, so I hope it sounds okay. I know it's not perfect but I'm pretty proud. Thanks! (btw I left my name off the recording on purpose)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_37_dasent_128kb.mp3
This is a great accomplishment, so congratulations. :clap:
We are running a bit behind on proof listening, but please stay tuned for you report.

Oh, we also like to have you give us the length of the file (mm:ss) when you post the upload link.

Thank you so much!
Greetings -

You should be proud. Chapter 37 was nicely read and easily listed as PL OK.

How soon before we hear some more from you?

Lomond
this is incredibly kind and encouraging, thank you so much. I've been nervous to start working in voice-only endeavors and it seemed like this community was a great place to start. The encouragement is appreciated!

I recorded and rerecorded this 8 times, each time learning something new when recording and learning something new as I edited. I'd stop halfway through an edit and realize, 'I could make this even better with the things I just realized', so I'd just hop back into the closet and do it again. It could have been tedious but it was an amazing way of learning hands-on and I'm happy that I ended with what I did, instead of stopping on the first few takes.

I look forward to making more!

lomond
Posts: 2141
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, area

Post by lomond » March 25th, 2021, 7:29 pm

Greetings -

Chapter 29:

A very good job of reading Chapter 29 was done by mdshepard1 and it was easy to list it as PL OK.

Lomond

lomond
Posts: 2141
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, area

Post by lomond » March 25th, 2021, 8:14 pm

HeatherLaura22 wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 2:39 pm
Here is chapter 35 The Widows Son

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_35_dasent_128kb.mp3
(19:05)

-Heather
Greetings -

HeatherLaura22, thanks for a well-read offering which has been shown to be definitely PL OK.

One suggestion: You have a soft voice and you might consider speaking a bit closer to the microphone so that the folk with chronologically challenged :) :) ears can hear you a bit better.

Lomond

HeatherLaura22
Posts: 21
Joined: January 25th, 2021, 9:40 pm

Post by HeatherLaura22 » March 28th, 2021, 9:22 am

lomond wrote:
March 25th, 2021, 8:14 pm


One suggestion: You have a soft voice and you might consider speaking a bit closer to the microphone so that the folk with chronologically challenged :) :) ears can hear you a bit better.

Lomond
Thank you for the suggestion. I noticed it myself and have gotten a better set up to move the microphone closer to me when I read.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can because I would some day, when I have a more full set up, like to work on audiobooks or other voice over work. I appriceate any advice.

-Heather

SoundsLikeJack
Posts: 19
Joined: December 5th, 2020, 11:49 am
Location: Brasília, Brasil

Post by SoundsLikeJack » March 28th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Uploaded section 9.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_09_dasent_128kb.mp3

Track length 03:28

I have one other section assigned to me. Give me another day or two to have that one completed.
Sorry for the delay.
“It’s still magic even if you know how it’s done.” A Hat Full of Sky, Terry Pratchett.

silverquill
Posts: 18339
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » March 28th, 2021, 5:31 pm

SoundsLikeJack wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 3:03 pm
Uploaded section 9.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_09_dasent_128kb.mp3

Track length 03:28

I have one other section assigned to me. Give me another day or two to have that one completed.
Sorry for the delay.
Oh, thank you!
Stay tuned for your proof listening report.
~ Larry

lomond
Posts: 2141
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, area

Post by lomond » March 28th, 2021, 10:10 pm

SoundsLikeJack wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 3:03 pm
Uploaded section 9.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_09_dasent_128kb.mp3

Track length 03:28

I have one other section assigned to me. Give me another day or two to have that one completed.
Sorry for the delay.
Greetings -

As happens every once in a while, your DPL gets to play good news/bad news.

The good news is that the reading part of this offering is nicely done. Good speed, good diction, and your accent adds to the enjoyment of listening.

There are a couple of technical things that need to be fixed and this one will be PL OK.

The recording level comes in at 95.8 dB which is over our limit of 92 dB.

The silent period at the beginning of the recording is a bit long. It needs to be chopped down to a half-second or so.

If you need help knowing how to fix these, just let us know.

Looking forward to your other chapter.

Lomond

Post Reply