COMPLETE A Plea for Ragged Schools by Rev. Thomas Guthrie - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 17th, 2021, 7:01 pm

A Plea for Ragged Schools; or, Prevention Better than Cure, by Thomas Guthrie (1803 - 1873)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-plea-for-ragged-schools-by-thomas-guthrie/
The Reverend Thomas Guthrie was first introduced to the idea of ragged schools in 1841, while acting as the Parish Minister of St. John's Church in Edinburgh. On a visit to Portsmouth, he saw a picture of John Pounds and felt inspired and humbled by the crippled cobbler's work. Pounds had been injured in a shipbuilding accident at the age of 15. He later became a shoemaker and, in 1818, he began teaching poor children without charging fees. He actively recruited children and young people to his school, spending time on the streets and quays of making contact and even bribing them to come with the offer of baked potatoes. He began teaching local children reading, writing, and arithmetic. He also gave lessons in cooking, carpentry and shoe making until his death in 1839. Pounds became an inspiration for others seeking to address the needs of impoverished children.

Guthrie opened his first ragged school in 1847. Although this was not the first ragged school in Scotland, Guthrie was later acknowledged as a core leader of the movement. His 'Plea for Ragged Schools', published in March 1847 to garner the public's support for a school in the city, laid out his indisputable arguments that proved highly influential. Ragged Schools had a unique curriculum; education, regular meals, clothes, 'industrial training' and Christian instruction. Most of the ragged children who attended the schools did not remain overnight but were in school for 11 to 12 hours a day. The teachers worked to win over the children with kindness. "These Arabs of the city are wild as those of the desert, and must be broken into three habits, – those of discipline, learning and industry, not to speak of cleanliness. To accomplish this, our trust is in the almost omnipotent power of Christian kindness. Hard words and harder blows are thrown away here. With these alas they are too familiar at home, and have learned to be as indifferent to them as the smith's dog to the shower of sparks."

Guthrie saw the Ragged Schools as his most enduring legacy; "I never engaged in a cause, as a man and a Christian minister that I believe on my death-bed I will look back on with more pleasure or gratitude to God, than that he led me to work for Ragged Schools. I have the satisfaction, when I lay my head upon my pillow, of always finding one soft part of it: and that is, that God has made me an instrument in His hand of saving many a poor creature from a life of misery and crime” (Thomas Guthrie and Sons, Autobiography and Memoirs, London, 1896). Amongst Guthrie’s last words he was overheard to say “a brand plucked from the burning!” His legacy was that through his vision and love for his Savior, the Ragged School movement was established which in turn plucked thousands of little brands from a life of poverty and crime, and brought them to know the ultimate friend of sinners. (Summary by MaryAnn)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/apleaforraggeds01guthgoog

Target completion date: 0-12-00

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Plea for Ragged Schools; or, Prevention Better than Cure. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Plea for Ragged Schools; or, Prevention Better than Cure, by Thomas Guthrie. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Plea for Ragged Schools; or, Prevention Better than Cure, by Thomas Guthrie. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Plea for Ragged Schools; or, Prevention Better than Cure, by Thomas Guthrie."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: raggedschools_##_guthrie_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number.

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Join us to MARCH to the finish line by completing as many projects as we can during March! This thread tracks our progress and lists projects in need of readers/PLers.

My Librivox solos

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 17th, 2021, 11:58 pm

I will be happy to PL this for you, Maryann. :)

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 18th, 2021, 9:27 am

Thank you Devorah!
MaryAnn
Join us to MARCH to the finish line by completing as many projects as we can during March! This thread tracks our progress and lists projects in need of readers/PLers.

My Librivox solos

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 18th, 2021, 1:07 pm

Section 1 PL ok! :thumbs:

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 26th, 2021, 5:10 pm

Found a misread word in section 2.

0:29, page 18: "...children, who crowd our schools, would prefer the school-room to the playground..." I hear: ""...children, who crowd our schools, would prefer the single room to the playground..."

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 26th, 2021, 5:37 pm

Thanks Devorah. I'll get that fixed.
MaryAnn

My Librivox solos

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 26th, 2021, 5:47 pm

And section 3 PL ok. It looks like the section title has a typo: appendixes rather than appendices?

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 26th, 2021, 5:56 pm

LOL, apparently the wrong kind of appendix!
MaryAnn

My Librivox solos

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 27th, 2021, 10:41 am

Corrected Section 2 uploaded, link in MW checked and it's there, so I'm going to push this into the catalog!

Thanks for your help Devorah!

MaryAnn

My Librivox solos

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 27th, 2021, 1:30 pm

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-plea-for-ragged-schools-by-thomas-guthrie/

My Librivox solos