English Studies student from Finland!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Hippejulia

Post by Hippejulia » February 2nd, 2021, 11:14 am

Hey all!

I'm Julia, a lover of books and especially classic novels. I'm studying English Studies at Malmö University Sweden, but I am from Helsinki, Finland, where I currently live due to corona.

I'll first begin by proof-listening some works, but I hope to work my way to recording Finnish works. There are currently only 28 Finnish recordings in LibriVox! For example, Aino Kallas' Sudenmorsian (The Wolf's Bride) (1928) is something I would be interested in reading.

I would like to take this time to thank the LibriVox community! The work you do has become so important for me there is not a day I don't listen to LibriVox audiobooks.

Stay safe,
Julia

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » February 2nd, 2021, 6:26 pm

Hippejulia wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 11:14 am
Hey all!

I'm Julia, a lover of books and especially classic novels. I'm studying English Studies at Malmö University Sweden, but I am from Helsinki, Finland, where I currently live due to corona.

I'll first begin by proof-listening some works, but I hope to work my way to recording Finnish works. There are currently only 28 Finnish recordings in LibriVox! For example, Aino Kallas' Sudenmorsian (The Wolf's Bride) (1928) is something I would be interested in reading.

I would like to take this time to thank the LibriVox community! The work you do has become so important for me there is not a day I don't listen to LibriVox audiobooks.

Stay safe,
Julia
Hi Julia! Welcome to LV :D
It's so great you want to read in Finnish! You'll defenitely need to pass 1-minute test https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test before the start.
If you wish, you may get your feet wet with smth short for Multilingual Short Works Collection viewtopic.php?f=60&t=84430
Thanks for joining us!

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » February 2nd, 2021, 6:31 pm

Hi Julia and welcome to LV!

Yes, we could definitely do with more books in Finnish! :clap:

However, we have to be careful with copyright - we use US copyright on here, which lasts for 95 years after publication.
So, right now, in the US, all books that were published in and before 1925 are good to record - which means three more years for The Wolf's Bride.

Also, you need to watch out for the copyright in our country - in the EU it's 70 years after the death of the author.
So, right now, in Finland, all books by authors who died in and before 1950 are good to record - which means, another 6 years for The Wolf's Bride.

Sorry 'bout that - I hope you'll find many other books that interest you!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK » March 2nd, 2021, 5:40 pm

Hippejulia wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 11:14 am
Hey all!

Stay safe,
Julia
Hi dear hippie! 🍰 (am I right?)

Scandinavia is especially close to me because of the rich traditions of playing the jew's harp, which I practice with great pleasure. And Julia is my mother's name, by the way. The world is small!
I welcome you here and wish you pleasant communication and activities in this friendly community!

Cheers 🌺
Alexander, by HandmadePSK
Aspire to inspire before we expire! :thumbs: