Hello! from Montreal :)

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Jc

Post by Jc » May 22nd, 2007, 10:36 pm

Hi all!! I discovered Librivox a couple of months ago, and I thought I'd pitch in. I used to do proofreading for Gutenberg, but this seems so much more fun :)

I speak and read English and French, and I speak Chinese (can't read to save my soul, though)
I think the site could do with more French audiobooks :)

I tend to be self-conscious about my voice, though...

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » May 22nd, 2007, 11:46 pm

Hullo, Jc!

Hmm, voice worries, eh. French language, eh. Okay -- if I may suggest, a read-through of the most honestly-named topic around, "What if I suck?" which lists a number of people's fears around their voice, including plain self-consciousness ... and some thoughts on why that's just not worth the time it takes to think about. Not when you're Contributing To Posterity!

And then, one of the available Fables de La Fontaine might be an excellent choice for first recording, being short and straightforward ... you're welcome to ask for constructive feedback (though it's VERY rare anyone gives anything else here, really!) if you want to, either there, or in a new topic in Listeners Wanted.

Mainly, the thing is to have fun -- looking forward to hearing you around the place!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

luciburg

Post by luciburg » May 23rd, 2007, 12:28 am

Welcome and Enjoy Jc, great to have you on board.

Short Stories Vol. 14
Lucy :)
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]

anna

Post by anna » May 23rd, 2007, 12:30 am

Welcome Jc,

Have fun here :)
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa » May 23rd, 2007, 3:24 am

Jc wrote:Hi all!! I discovered Librivox a couple of months ago, and I thought I'd pitch in. I used to do proofreading for Gutenberg, but this seems so much more fun :)

I speak and read English and French, and I speak Chinese (can't read to save my soul, though)
I think the site could do with more French audiobooks :)

I tend to be self-conscious about my voice, though...
Bienvenue Jc !
En effet, on pourrait avoir plus de livre en français. Mais il faut le temps...
Si vous avez des suggestions, n'hésitez pas.
Pour le moment, en groupe, il y a les Fables de La Fontaine (on en est au troisième livre), les Liaisons dangereuses (les dernières sections ne sont plus disponibles) et les Mille et une nuits (voir le forum Readers Wanted).

N'ayez pas peur de vous lancer !
Ezwa wrote:Welcome Jc,
It would be great to have more books in French. But time is needed for it... If you have any suggestions...
At present, collaborative projects are the Fables by La Fontaine, the Liaisons dangereuses (all sections are assigned) and A thousand and one nights (see Readers Wanted).

Don't think twice, jump in!
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau

Envie de lire de la poésie ou du dramatique ?
PIANIST(s) WANTED.

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » May 27th, 2007, 5:50 am

welcome to another montrealer!

Gesine

Post by Gesine » May 27th, 2007, 6:06 am

Chinese... that's great - I'm sure David will pounce shortly to ask for your contribution in the 300 Tang Poems http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3256 and the Analects of Confucius: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5551 :)

Welcome!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

Starlite

Post by Starlite » May 27th, 2007, 6:07 am

Gesine wrote:Chinese... that's great - I'm sure David will pounce shortly to ask for your contribution in the 300 Tang Poems http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3256 and the Analects of Confucius: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5551 :)

Welcome!
I believe he already has! :wink:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw