Some Czech literature?

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Miriam.Silberstein

Post by Miriam.Silberstein » May 29th, 2007, 9:17 am

Hi all, I'm new here. My Turkish friend introduced me to librivox and I love the project. I thought I'd contribute some Czech literature, since Czech is my native language. I thought I'd start with Karel Jaromir Erben's poems/fairy tales. I'm very excited about this, so let me know what you think about the idea.
smiles
Miriam
Last edited by Miriam.Silberstein on May 29th, 2007, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

shabam

Post by shabam » May 29th, 2007, 9:23 am

Miriam!

Some Czech literature sounds great. I would not be able to help with it, but I look forward to seeing what you can bring in! It might not move as quickly as some other languages, as there are fewer readers for it, but that does not mean that it would be any less needed!

There is a large Czech population that I'm sure would love to be able to listen to works in their own language.

Enjoy!

Jason

anna

Post by anna » May 29th, 2007, 9:25 am

Welcome Miriam,

Have fun here :)
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.

Robert Marquardt

Post by Robert Marquardt » May 29th, 2007, 10:46 am

Čapek, Karel, 1890-1938
* R.U.R. (Czech)
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13083

Obdržálek, Peregrin, 1825-1891
* Cvičení maličkých ve svatém náboženství křesťansko-katolickém (Czech)
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16843

This is all www.gutenberg.org has available.

Miriam.Silberstein

Post by Miriam.Silberstein » May 29th, 2007, 11:02 am

R.U.R. is a great play, thanks! It would take a lot of Czech speaking people, though, unfortunately. I'll see what I can do. maybe when I get home for the winter break this year, I could get some friends to record it with me. that would be a lot of fun :)

Miriam.Silberstein

Post by Miriam.Silberstein » May 29th, 2007, 11:24 am

maybe I can do the Little Prince in Czech. I just found the full text online.

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » May 29th, 2007, 11:59 am

Hello Miriam, good to have you joining us!

Some Czech recordings to add to our collection would be absolutely wonderful! May I suggest starting with a poem, perhaps, contributed to the Multilingual Poetry collection..? Poems are an easy way for newcomers to check they've got all their technicals in order, and to make sure their recording setup is as good as it can be (it's good to know if there's some simple way to improve sound -- for me it was learning about how to position the mike and about reducing background noise like fans.)

Texts need to be public domain in the US (where the files are archived), and in the case of the Little Prince, this would mean that the translation would need to have been published pre-1923, or is out of copyright in some other way. I think Erben's works would be quite simple to check, though, since he died such a long time ago. You might like to have a look at our information page which covers all works we record. It can be a pretty complicated area, so please just ask if you want any help at all!

Have fun here!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa » May 31st, 2007, 11:10 am

Welcome, Miriam !

Yees, let's have Czech literature!
As Cori says, copyright status needs to be cleared to make sure that it is PD.

If ever you want to give a hand translating LibriVox site, what about a Czech translation?
There are a few in the works already: German, Spanish, Dutch, French, Italian, Finnish, Brazilian, Bulgarian (this one not linked to from the Home Page yet)
Give me a shout if you're interested.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau

Envie de lire de la poésie ou du dramatique ?
PIANIST(s) WANTED.
You'd like to PL some French? Come here. Par ici on a besoin d'oreilles.

usuyenates

Post by usuyenates » August 20th, 2007, 11:08 pm

little prince?! way to go girl! I want to do that in turkish as well...

hhahahaha! good job!

usuyenates (you know who) :D

Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech » August 20th, 2007, 11:23 pm

And PLEASE do something by Neruda! I love Povidky Malostranké but my Czech is not good enough to read it for LibriVox.

And, of course, Osudy Dobrého Vojáka Švejka za Světové Války in the original Czech. (Text online at http://www.svejkcentral.com/)
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]

guenuche

Post by guenuche » August 21st, 2007, 4:39 am

Miriam.Silberstein wrote:Hi all, I'm new here. My Turkish friend introduced me to librivox and I love the project. I thought I'd contribute some Czech literature, since Czech is my native language. I thought I'd start with Karel Jaromir Erben's poems/fairy tales. I'm very excited about this, so let me know what you think about the idea.
smiles
Miriam
Hi there,

if you decided to start some Czech literature recording, let me know. I will definitelly be happy to help :-)
guenuche