[Complete] Short Science Fiction Collection 079-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9985
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: faraway

Post by alg1001 » June 11th, 2021, 5:46 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
June 11th, 2021, 11:22 am
One to finish it out:

The Contact Point by Jack Sharkey


https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_contactpoint_sharkey_cm_128kb.mp3

20:22

source: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60928

Note: The author is listed as Jack Sharkey in PG and on the title page of the story, which was apparently the name that John Michael Sharkey wrote under. Sharkey is in the catalog already with several stories under "John Michael Sharkey" but if you search on "Jack Sharkey" as author, there's no results. I think both names should be cross listed. Here's the Science Fiction Encyclopedia entry on Sharkey: http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/sharkey_jack

Colleen
Thanks, Colleen! We will have 21 this time. That's good for 2021. I can update that for Jack.

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9985
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: faraway

Post by alg1001 » June 11th, 2021, 8:01 pm

Collection 80 has been launch. Please submit your next recordings to it.
Cheers!
-Amy :D

JamesJenkins
Posts: 254
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » June 12th, 2021, 4:41 am

ColleenMc wrote:
June 11th, 2021, 11:22 am
One to finish it out:

The Contact Point by Jack Sharkey


https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_contactpoint_sharkey_cm_128kb.mp3

20:22

source: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60928

Note: The author is listed as Jack Sharkey in PG and on the title page of the story, which was apparently the name that John Michael Sharkey wrote under. Sharkey is in the catalog already with several stories under "John Michael Sharkey" but if you search on "Jack Sharkey" as author, there's no results. I think both names should be cross listed. Here's the Science Fiction Encyclopedia entry on Sharkey: http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/sharkey_jack

Colleen
Thanks Colleen, It is PL ok

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

JamesJenkins
Posts: 254
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » June 12th, 2021, 8:04 am

PeterRobert wrote:
June 11th, 2021, 2:47 pm
o The story title: Pythias

o The author’s name: Frederich Poll

o The URL displayed by the LibriVox Uploader after the file has successfully uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf_pythias_poll_pr_128kb.mp3

o The URL for the online version of the text. So there can be a choice of file format to download, please use the Gutenberg main page for the source such as https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29975:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/30399/30399-h/30399-h.htm

o The duration of the recording: 13Min, 10Sec

• If this is your first submission to the Short Science Fiction Collections please provide:
o Your name/pseudonym as you wish it to appear in the LibriVox catalog: Peter Robert
Good Job Peter, I enjoyed that story.

Just a couple of technical issues to address.
* Less then half a second silence at the beginning, should be about 1 second
* About 11 seconds silence at the end should be about 5 seconds

Everything else is great, the recording is good, Can you correct the silence at both ends and resubmit (same file name)?

James.
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

JamesJenkins
Posts: 254
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » June 12th, 2021, 8:08 am

alg1001 wrote:
June 11th, 2021, 5:45 pm
JamesJenkins wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 4:20 am
BarryHaworth wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 1:42 am
A new volume already! Well done us.

I see that one of James' suggestions (First Stage: Moon) is all dialog. Anyone else game to do it as a group? As in, divvy it up between four of us and edit it together into a single whole?
I am not sure about the logistics of group work inside of a group work. Amy would need to say if this can be done.

If it is ok, with Amy (and I am NOT sure it can work), I would contribute If you want divide the text up, and stich it back together.

James
Hi James, Barry and Molehillmountain,
I think you should be able to do this with 3 people or I could probably do the 4th. I could put a "script" together if you haven't already. Or do you all want to skip this for now?
Thanks,
Amy
Amy, My vote is drop it from this collection, without it there are 20 stories. I am not sure if Barry lost interest or what. If it comes together it can be in the next collection. If not... (shrug)

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9985
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: faraway

Post by alg1001 » June 12th, 2021, 10:12 am

Hi James,
That makes sense. I will take it out and prune this back to twenty section.
Thanks,
-Amy

PeterRobert
Posts: 6
Joined: May 4th, 2021, 10:33 am

Post by PeterRobert » June 12th, 2021, 12:34 pm

JamesJenkins wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 8:04 am
PeterRobert wrote:
June 11th, 2021, 2:47 pm
o The story title: Pythias

o The author’s name: Frederich Poll

o The URL displayed by the LibriVox Uploader after the file has successfully uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf_pythias_poll_pr_128kb.mp3

o The URL for the online version of the text. So there can be a choice of file format to download, please use the Gutenberg main page for the source such as https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29975:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/30399/30399-h/30399-h.htm

o The duration of the recording: 13Min, 10Sec

• If this is your first submission to the Short Science Fiction Collections please provide:
o Your name/pseudonym as you wish it to appear in the LibriVox catalog: Peter Robert
Good Job Peter, I enjoyed that story.

Just a couple of technical issues to address.
* Less then half a second silence at the beginning, should be about 1 second
* About 11 seconds silence at the end should be about 5 seconds

Everything else is great, the recording is good, Can you correct the silence at both ends and resubmit (same file name)?

James.
Hi James.
I re-submitted the recording with the required silences at the front and end. Here is the link I received from the upload:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf_pythias_poll_pr_128kb.mp3

JamesJenkins
Posts: 254
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » June 13th, 2021, 2:45 am

PeterRobert wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 12:34 pm
JamesJenkins wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 8:04 am
PeterRobert wrote:
June 11th, 2021, 2:47 pm
o The story title: Pythias

o The author’s name: Frederich Poll

o The URL displayed by the LibriVox Uploader after the file has successfully uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf_pythias_poll_pr_128kb.mp3

o The URL for the online version of the text. So there can be a choice of file format to download, please use the Gutenberg main page for the source such as https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29975:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/30399/30399-h/30399-h.htm

o The duration of the recording: 13Min, 10Sec

• If this is your first submission to the Short Science Fiction Collections please provide:
o Your name/pseudonym as you wish it to appear in the LibriVox catalog: Peter Robert
Good Job Peter, I enjoyed that story.

Just a couple of technical issues to address.
* Less then half a second silence at the beginning, should be about 1 second
* About 11 seconds silence at the end should be about 5 seconds

Everything else is great, the recording is good, Can you correct the silence at both ends and resubmit (same file name)?

James.
Hi James.
I re-submitted the recording with the required silences at the front and end. Here is the link I received from the upload:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf_pythias_poll_pr_128kb.mp3
Thanks Peter,

It is PL ok, now.

I assume you named it ssf_pythias_poll_pr_128kb.mp3 instead of ssf079_pythias_poll_pr_128kb.mp3 it was the 21 entry for the collection and you didn't know if it would be in 079 or 080. Amy can rename it when she adds it to the final collection. Just for future reference you should name it for the collection you are submitting it in. I look forward to your submissions for ssf080.

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

JamesJenkins
Posts: 254
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » June 14th, 2021, 2:55 am

JamesJenkins wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 8:18 pm
Thanks Killian

You have a couple of technical issues, please correct and resubmit. All else is good.

* The volume is low at 80mb it should be between 86 and 92
* There should be about a second of silence at the beginning, you have about half a second
* There should be about 5 seconds of silence at the end, you have about 7 seconds.

There are links to help with recording issues in the opening post of this collection.

Overall a good first recording.

James.
The issues were completely technical, I have corrected them the re-upload is at

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_fieldtrip_hunter_im_128kb.mp3

The source is https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30379

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9985
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: faraway

Post by alg1001 » June 14th, 2021, 5:45 am


JamesJenkins
Posts: 254
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » June 14th, 2021, 6:20 am

alg1001 wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 5:45 am
Hi James,
Since the readers are inactive, I updated the last two files.:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_beyondthedoor_dick_jp_128kb.mp3
13:25
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_fieldtrip_hunter_im_128kb.mp3
6:27
Thanks,
Amy
Thanks Amy, they are both PL ok now.

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9985
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: faraway

Post by alg1001 » June 14th, 2021, 5:14 pm

Great! Thanks, James! I will get this cataloged. :)

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9985
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: faraway

Post by alg1001 » June 14th, 2021, 6:24 pm

• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/short-science-fiction-collection-079-by-various/
Congratulations, All! :clap:

Post Reply