[Complete] Mary Schweidler, the Amber Witch by Meinhold -ck/lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19442
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » January 15th, 2020, 8:58 pm

SpookyNoodle wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 8:17 pm
I'm sorry it's been so long since I uploaded any chapters or revisions.

My computer is reacting strangely, and there's some sort of problem with the drivers, where Reaper isn't allowing me to record anything. Just wanted to update and say I am still working on the project, I'm just kind of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, programs, all of that, until I can get my studio to record again :/
Thanks for keeping us in the loop

HZFerr
Posts: 5089
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm
Location: Gallifrey

Post by HZFerr » January 15th, 2020, 9:39 pm

sect 20
PL OK :clap:
Stay In-Stay Alive

Helen

SpookyNoodle
Posts: 41
Joined: January 7th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Post by SpookyNoodle » January 16th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Finally got things working! :clap:

Section 09: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_09_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [13:52]

Section 10: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_10_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [7:40]

Section 11: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_11_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [11:03]

Prooflistener: I did see your note about section 8, and I've (hopefully) made those adjustments regarding volume and encoding. I'm waiting to get the notes on these three as well, then I'll record all of my corrections in one session, and upload the proofed sections altogether. (As different files, obviously, I just mean in one recording/editing session.)

Thanks!
The real question is: why not?

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19442
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » January 16th, 2020, 2:31 pm

SpookyNoodle wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 12:50 pm
Finally got things working! :clap:

Section 09: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_09_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [13:52]

Section 10: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_10_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [7:40]

Section 11: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_11_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [11:03]

Prooflistener: I did see your note about section 8, and I've (hopefully) made those adjustments regarding volume and encoding. I'm waiting to get the notes on these three as well, then I'll record all of my corrections in one session, and upload the proofed sections altogether. (As different files, obviously, I just mean in one recording/editing session.)

Thanks!
Thank you

HZFerr
Posts: 5089
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm
Location: Gallifrey

Post by HZFerr » January 17th, 2020, 7:11 pm

sect 9

PL note: tech issue

The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound.  
Last edited by HZFerr on January 17th, 2020, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay In-Stay Alive

Helen

HZFerr
Posts: 5089
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm
Location: Gallifrey

Post by HZFerr » January 17th, 2020, 7:33 pm

sect 10

PL notes: tech issue
The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound.

2-Missing paragraphs: (forthwith, and this was some time a-doing, seeing that the thick boughs were stuck fast in the trees all around; the nobles, as soon as all was made ready, would have ridden to meet his Majesty, but stayed still on the little green sward, because we already heard the noise)
of horses, carriages, and voices close to us in the forest. ) *from >

It was not long before the cannons broke through the brushwood with the three guides seated upon them. And seeing that one of them was known to me (it was Stoffer Krauthahn of Peenemünde), I drew near and begged him that he would tell me when the king should come. But he answered that he was going forward with the cannon to Coserow, and that I was only to watch for a tall dark man, with a hat and feather and a gold chain round his neck, for that that was the king, and that he rode next after the great standard whereon was a yellow lion.
Wherefore I narrowly watched the procession as it wound out of the forest. And next after the artillery came the Finnish and Lapland bowmen, who went clothed all in furs, although it was now the height of summer, whereat I greatly wondered. After these there came much people, but I know not what they were. Presently I espied over the hazel-tree which stood in my way so that I could not see everything as soon as it came forth out of the coppice, the great flag with the lion on it, and behind that the head of a very dark man with a golden chain round his neck, whereupon straightway I judged this must be the king. I therefore waved my napkin toward the steeple, whereupon the bells forthwith rang out, and while the dark man rode nearer to us, I pulled off my skull-cap, fell upon my knees, and led the Ambrosian hymn of praise, and all the people plucked their hats from their heads and knelt down on the ground all around, singing after me; men, women, and children, save only the nobles, who stood still on the green sward, and did not take off their hats and behave with attention until they saw that his Majesty drew in his horse. (It was a coal-black charger, and stopped with its two fore-feet right upon my field, which I took as a sign of good fortune.) When we had finished, the Sheriff quickly got off his horse, and would have approached the king with his three guides, who followed after him; item, I had taken my child by the hand, and would also have drawn near to the king. Howbeit, his Majesty motioned away the Sheriff and beckoned us to approach, whereupon I wished his Majesty joy in the Latin tongue, and extolled his magnanimous heart, seeing that he had deigned to visit German ground for the protection and aid of poor persecuted Christendom; and praised it as a sign from God that such had happened on this the high festival of our poor church, and I prayed his Majesty graciously to receive what my daughter desired to present to him; whereupon his Majesty looked on her and smiled pleasantly. Such gracious bearing made her bold again, albeit she trembled visibly just before, and she reached him a blue and yellow wreath, whereon lay the carmen, saying, "Accipe hanc vilem coronam et haec" whereupon she began to recite the carmen. Meanwhile his Majesty grew more and more gracious, looking now on her and now on the carmen, and nodded with especial kindness towards the end, which was as follows:--
Tempus erit, quo tu reversus ab hostibus ultor
Intrabis patriae libera regna meae;
Tunc meliora student nostrae tibi carmina musae,
Tunc tua, maxime rex, Martia facta canam.
Tu modo versiculis ne spernas vilibus ausum
Auguror et res est ista futura brevi!
Sis foelix, fortisque diu, vive optime princeps,
Omnia, et ut possis vincere, dura. Vale!
As soon as she held her peace, his Majesty said, "Propius accedas, patria virgo, ut te osculer"; whereupon she drew near to his horse, blushing deeply. I thought he would only have kissed her forehead, as potentates commonly use to do, but not at all! he kissed her lips with a loud smack, and the long feathers on his hat drooped over her neck, so that I was quite afraid for her again. But he soon raised up his head, and taking off his gold chain, whereon dangled his own effigy, he hung it round my child's neck with these words: "Hocce tuce pulchritudim! et si favente Deo redux fuero victor, promissum carmen et praeterea duo oscula exspecto."
Hereupon the Sheriff with his three men again came forward and bowed down to the ground before his Majesty. But as he knew no Latin, item no Italian nor French, I had to act as interpreter. For his Majesty inquired how far it was to Swine, and whether there was still much foreign soldiery there: And the Sheriff thought there were still about 200 Croats in the camp; whereupon his Majesty spurred on his horse, and nodding graciously, cried "Valete!" And now came the rest of the troops, about 3000 strong, out of the coppice, which likewise had a valiant bearing, and attempted no fooleries, as troops are wont to do, when they passed by us and the women, but marched on in honest quietness, and we followed the train until the forest beyond Coserow, where we commended it to the care of the Almighty, and every one went on his way home.
Stay In-Stay Alive

Helen

HZFerr
Posts: 5089
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm
Location: Gallifrey

Post by HZFerr » January 17th, 2020, 7:55 pm

sect 11
PL note: tech issues
1-The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound.  
2- low volume of 85.2 falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).  

*Note: "I will not depart"
You have seen "The Exorcist" one too many times. :lol: :lol:

Prooflistener: I did see your note about section 8, and I've (hopefully) made those adjustments regarding volume and encoding. I'm waiting to get the notes on these three as well, then I'll record all of my corrections in one session, and upload the proofed sections altogether. (As different files, obviously, I just mean in one recording/editing session.)
They are all ready for you now. :D
Stay In-Stay Alive

Helen

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19442
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » February 1st, 2020, 7:42 am

I have uploaded section 16.

HZFerr
Posts: 5089
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm
Location: Gallifrey

Post by HZFerr » February 4th, 2020, 3:44 pm

sect 16
PL OK
Stay In-Stay Alive

Helen

SpookyNoodle
Posts: 41
Joined: January 7th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Post by SpookyNoodle » February 12th, 2020, 9:30 am

HZFerr wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 7:33 pm
sect 10

PL notes: tech issue
The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound.

2-Missing paragraphs: (forthwith, and this was some time a-doing, seeing that the thick boughs were stuck fast in the trees all around; the nobles, as soon as all was made ready, would have ridden to meet his Majesty, but stayed still on the little green sward, because we already heard the noise)
of horses, carriages, and voices close to us in the forest. ) *from >

It was not long before the cannons broke through the brushwood with the three guides seated upon them. And seeing that one of them was known to me (it was Stoffer Krauthahn of Peenemünde), I drew near and begged him that he would tell me when the king should come. But he answered that he was going forward with the cannon to Coserow, and that I was only to watch for a tall dark man, with a hat and feather and a gold chain round his neck, for that that was the king, and that he rode next after the great standard whereon was a yellow lion.
Wherefore I narrowly watched the procession as it wound out of the forest. And next after the artillery came the Finnish and Lapland bowmen, who went clothed all in furs, although it was now the height of summer, whereat I greatly wondered. After these there came much people, but I know not what they were. Presently I espied over the hazel-tree which stood in my way so that I could not see everything as soon as it came forth out of the coppice, the great flag with the lion on it, and behind that the head of a very dark man with a golden chain round his neck, whereupon straightway I judged this must be the king. I therefore waved my napkin toward the steeple, whereupon the bells forthwith rang out, and while the dark man rode nearer to us, I pulled off my skull-cap, fell upon my knees, and led the Ambrosian hymn of praise, and all the people plucked their hats from their heads and knelt down on the ground all around, singing after me; men, women, and children, save only the nobles, who stood still on the green sward, and did not take off their hats and behave with attention until they saw that his Majesty drew in his horse. (It was a coal-black charger, and stopped with its two fore-feet right upon my field, which I took as a sign of good fortune.) When we had finished, the Sheriff quickly got off his horse, and would have approached the king with his three guides, who followed after him; item, I had taken my child by the hand, and would also have drawn near to the king. Howbeit, his Majesty motioned away the Sheriff and beckoned us to approach, whereupon I wished his Majesty joy in the Latin tongue, and extolled his magnanimous heart, seeing that he had deigned to visit German ground for the protection and aid of poor persecuted Christendom; and praised it as a sign from God that such had happened on this the high festival of our poor church, and I prayed his Majesty graciously to receive what my daughter desired to present to him; whereupon his Majesty looked on her and smiled pleasantly. Such gracious bearing made her bold again, albeit she trembled visibly just before, and she reached him a blue and yellow wreath, whereon lay the carmen, saying, "Accipe hanc vilem coronam et haec" whereupon she began to recite the carmen. Meanwhile his Majesty grew more and more gracious, looking now on her and now on the carmen, and nodded with especial kindness towards the end, which was as follows:--
Tempus erit, quo tu reversus ab hostibus ultor
Intrabis patriae libera regna meae;
Tunc meliora student nostrae tibi carmina musae,
Tunc tua, maxime rex, Martia facta canam.
Tu modo versiculis ne spernas vilibus ausum
Auguror et res est ista futura brevi!
Sis foelix, fortisque diu, vive optime princeps,
Omnia, et ut possis vincere, dura. Vale!
As soon as she held her peace, his Majesty said, "Propius accedas, patria virgo, ut te osculer"; whereupon she drew near to his horse, blushing deeply. I thought he would only have kissed her forehead, as potentates commonly use to do, but not at all! he kissed her lips with a loud smack, and the long feathers on his hat drooped over her neck, so that I was quite afraid for her again. But he soon raised up his head, and taking off his gold chain, whereon dangled his own effigy, he hung it round my child's neck with these words: "Hocce tuce pulchritudim! et si favente Deo redux fuero victor, promissum carmen et praeterea duo oscula exspecto."
Hereupon the Sheriff with his three men again came forward and bowed down to the ground before his Majesty. But as he knew no Latin, item no Italian nor French, I had to act as interpreter. For his Majesty inquired how far it was to Swine, and whether there was still much foreign soldiery there: And the Sheriff thought there were still about 200 Croats in the camp; whereupon his Majesty spurred on his horse, and nodding graciously, cried "Valete!" And now came the rest of the troops, about 3000 strong, out of the coppice, which likewise had a valiant bearing, and attempted no fooleries, as troops are wont to do, when they passed by us and the women, but marched on in honest quietness, and we followed the train until the forest beyond Coserow, where we commended it to the care of the Almighty, and every one went on his way home.
I wanna make sure I'm understanding correctly, because I think I'm getting a little tripped up by the formatting; you're saying that all text you posted was missing?

I distinctly remember recording all of that latin, because I remember thinking as I was doing it "Oh god, I bet this sounds absolutely terrible to anyone who actually knows latin."

If it's missing from the upload, then I bet I accidentally deleted an extra section. I'll go into the files and try to find where it might be hiding.

btw, sorry about the delay, my semester started in early January, and I've had a nasty head cold for the first part of February that meant my recordings would sound terrible, although that's no excuse for my not checking the PL notes to make sure I fully understand them, I apologize for that >_<
The real question is: why not?

HZFerr
Posts: 5089
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm
Location: Gallifrey

Post by HZFerr » February 12th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Hi Christopher,
Yes, life happens :( I'm glad you're feeling better, you made the right choice in not recording under those circumstances.
Please check your recording, what I quoted was missing.
My tech knowledge is limited, so I can't guess how this happened.
Stay In-Stay Alive

Helen

SpookyNoodle
Posts: 41
Joined: January 7th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Post by SpookyNoodle » February 18th, 2020, 3:49 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_08_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [13:55]

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_09_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [13:52]

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_10_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [13:05]

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_11_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [11:03]

Corrections for sections 8 thru 11, I have no idea why, but when I went in to look at Section 10, all of the missing section was sitting there on the track, plain as day, so I guess I did something wrong in the rendering process, so that it ignored the entire latter half of the track. In any case, it's all included here (I checked and double checked), so let me know if I fudged the latin anywhere and need to re-record anything.
The real question is: why not?

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19442
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » February 18th, 2020, 4:13 pm

SpookyNoodle wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 3:49 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_08_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [13:55]

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_09_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [13:52]

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_10_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [13:05]

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_11_meinhold_128kb.mp3 [11:03]

Corrections for sections 8 thru 11, I have no idea why, but when I went in to look at Section 10, all of the missing section was sitting there on the track, plain as day, so I guess I did something wrong in the rendering process, so that it ignored the entire latter half of the track. In any case, it's all included here (I checked and double checked), so let me know if I fudged the latin anywhere and need to re-record anything.
Thank you

HZFerr
Posts: 5089
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm
Location: Gallifrey

Post by HZFerr » February 20th, 2020, 8:36 pm

sect 9, 11
spot PL OK :thumbs:
Stay In-Stay Alive

Helen

HZFerr
Posts: 5089
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm
Location: Gallifrey

Post by HZFerr » February 20th, 2020, 8:45 pm

sect 8
Christopher
PL note: the recording issues have been repaired, but the tech issues weren't changed.
Tech issues:
The bit rate should be 128 kbps.  
The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR).  
(81.6 db)This low volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).  
Stay In-Stay Alive

Helen

Post Reply