[NONFIC]: Oracles of Nostradamus by Charles A. Ward - tg

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
czandra
Posts: 215
Joined: February 13th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Post by czandra » March 3rd, 2021, 10:23 am

ah, now what's the root of the verb "to shanghai"? to do with sailors...

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 50228
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » March 3rd, 2021, 10:33 am

czandra wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:23 am
ah, now what's the root of the verb "to shanghai"? to do with sailors...
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/shanghai?s=t

I'm not sure if it's called that because the city of Shanghai was notorious as a place for kidnapping people to use as sailors. I know the practice was used in England and colonial/young America. I think it wasn't the Chinese doing it, but other countries.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

Dulcamara
Posts: 836
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 3rd, 2021, 10:38 am

TriciaG wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:33 am
czandra wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:23 am
ah, now what's the root of the verb "to shanghai"? to do with sailors...
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/shanghai?s=t

I'm not sure if it's called that because the city of Shanghai was notorious as a place for kidnapping people to use as sailors. I know the practice was used in England and colonial/young America. I think it wasn't the Chinese doing it, but other countries.
... all of which has reminded me of Kidnapped, by. Robert Louis Stevenson. It would be a great adventure book to record. Perhaps it's already on the catalog. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros!
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo, Veneciano Cuentos de Terror Latinoamericanos Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

Dulcamara
Posts: 836
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 3rd, 2021, 10:47 am

And it is in the catalog. Perhaps I'll suggest the Spanish version. I remember it was great fun to read. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros!
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo, Veneciano Cuentos de Terror Latinoamericanos Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

Dulcamara
Posts: 836
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 4th, 2021, 6:01 am

czandra wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 9:07 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3
36m47s

that was taxing! I won't do 25 until I hear back. Was unsure how to handle notes, but read them as I would were I reading to myself. Don't speak Greek, so dealt with that subtly!

Cz
Hi, czandra, I thought I'd just let you know I've started working on this section. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros!
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo, Veneciano Cuentos de Terror Latinoamericanos Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

Dulcamara
Posts: 836
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 4th, 2021, 1:29 pm

czandra wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 9:07 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3
36m47s

that was taxing! I won't do 25 until I hear back. Was unsure how to handle notes, but read them as I would were I reading to myself. Don't speak Greek, so dealt with that subtly!

Cz
Hello, czandra,

Just one detail to PL OK Section 23: we need to add a five-second silence at the end of the recording. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros!
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo, Veneciano Cuentos de Terror Latinoamericanos Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

wib66
Posts: 10999
Joined: January 5th, 2012, 8:57 am

Post by wib66 » March 4th, 2021, 4:52 pm

Happy to sign up to section 16 thanks

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 500
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » March 4th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Could I claim Section 20 - The National Convention?
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Dulcamara
Posts: 836
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 5th, 2021, 9:37 am

Hi, wib66 and OooThatsNifty! Great to see you here. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros!
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo, Veneciano Cuentos de Terror Latinoamericanos Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

Dulcamara
Posts: 836
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 5th, 2021, 9:40 am

Hi, Kaitybg7 and Gebhere2.

I don't seem to be able the file for Section 15. :help:

I keep receiving a message stating the file is not on the server.

:hmm:

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros!
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo, Veneciano Cuentos de Terror Latinoamericanos Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

czandra
Posts: 215
Joined: February 13th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Post by czandra » March 5th, 2021, 9:49 am

I'm learning about the final 5 seconds the hard way! Will start s. 25 today.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3 36min48s

Cz

Dulcamara
Posts: 836
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 5th, 2021, 10:24 am

czandra wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 9:49 am
I'm learning about the final 5 seconds the hard way! Will start s. 25 today.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3 36min48s

Cz
Lovely, czandra!

Section 23 is now PL OK. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros!
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo, Veneciano Cuentos de Terror Latinoamericanos Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 50228
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » March 5th, 2021, 10:37 am

czandra wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 9:49 am
I'm learning about the final 5 seconds the hard way! Will start s. 25 today.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3 36min48s

Cz
This link isn't in the Magic Window, although the section is marked as PL OK - FYI to our BC. (I don't want it to get overlooked and try to catalog the project without all the links in the MW.)
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 50228
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » March 5th, 2021, 10:46 am

Dulcamara wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 9:40 am
Hi, Kaitybg7 and Gebhere2.

I don't seem to be able the file for Section 15. :help:

I keep receiving a message stating the file is not on the server.

:hmm:
It's not in my uploader folder. I ran a search in the entire uploader (all folders); it's nowhere in the uploader. :hmm: The reader will need to upload it again, I guess!
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

Dulcamara
Posts: 836
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 5th, 2021, 11:25 am

TriciaG wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 10:37 am
czandra wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 9:49 am
I'm learning about the final 5 seconds the hard way! Will start s. 25 today.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3 36min48s

Cz
This link isn't in the Magic Window, although the section is marked as PL OK - FYI to our BC. (I don't want it to get overlooked and try to catalog the project without all the links in the MW.)
Thank you, TriciaG. Yes, I PL'd from this link on the thread and meant to mention it to gebhere. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros!
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo, Veneciano Cuentos de Terror Latinoamericanos Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

Post Reply