[Fictional War Biography] Lay Down Your Arms by Bertha von Suttner - tg

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W » March 1st, 2021, 11:17 am

Many thanks for the nice recording! I listened to it and marked Section #23 as PL OK.

Regards,
Jessie
schrm wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 10:49 pm
embartels wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 2:03 pm
Hello! I'd like to claim Section 23. Thank you in advance!
good morning,
23 is yours!

and: thank you for your claim :-)

cheers,
wolfi

schrm

Post by schrm » March 1st, 2021, 1:04 pm

many thx to both of you!
:D :clap:

for the records: this project stays pl level special - i updated the first post, accordingly.

good night!

cheers,
wolfi
en: lay down your arms
de: sammlung prosa, hoffmann*2: sommerfrische, tante fritzchen
dpl: hoffmann*2
solo: na prost!

Bethnix

Post by Bethnix » March 2nd, 2021, 11:30 am

If chapter 7 (all parts) is still open, I'd love to read chapter 7.

schrm

Post by schrm » March 2nd, 2021, 11:36 am

Bethnix wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 11:30 am
If chapter 7 (all parts) is still open, I'd love to read chapter 7.
hi beth,

welcome to: lay down your arms!
:-)

sections 27-30 are yours!
:D :clap:
thank you for claims!

greetings from tyrol,
cheers,
wolfi
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit:
please tell me about your wishes regarding the catalogue page!

- every reader gets a catalogue page.
- your catalogue name can be an alias, your forum name or your real name (or something else) (if you want to read a name in the recordings, it should be the catalogue name)
- it offers some additional functionalities (for yourself, as a reader): an overview over your claims, eg.
- we can publish a link to a homepage or a blog, if existing and you wish to do so

--> please tell me your name in the catalogue (with punctuation) and the link
:D

njgorgen

Post by njgorgen » March 3rd, 2021, 2:26 pm

schrm

Post by schrm » March 3rd, 2021, 10:42 pm

njgorgen wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 2:26 pm
Sec 31 - 25m23s Nancy

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_31_suttner_128kb.mp3
good morning,

thank you :-D
...rather long section is in the mw!
:clap:
cheers,
wolfi

mangotango

Post by mangotango » March 4th, 2021, 12:18 pm

Hello group, looking forward to helping out with the completion of the book. I'm all for a book not only from a perspective not often shared, but about a topic I feel passionately about, non-violence and peace!

I would like to read Chapter 10 - Part 1, Section 40.

Because of the deadline goal I will do my best to finish this soon, so if it's possible... could I speak/write with someone that has read the whole book so I can get a better idea of everything in context? I have only found a short plot on Wiki. In the meantime I will see if I can read it as well. Thanks!

schrm

Post by schrm » March 4th, 2021, 9:50 pm

mangotango wrote:
March 4th, 2021, 12:18 pm
Hello group, looking forward to helping out with the completion of the book. I'm all for a book not only from a perspective not often shared, but about a topic I feel passionately about, non-violence and peace!

I would like to read Chapter 10 - Part 1, Section 40.

Because of the deadline goal I will do my best to finish this soon, so if it's possible... could I speak/write with someone that has read the whole book so I can get a better idea of everything in context? I have only found a short plot on Wiki. In the meantime I will see if I can read it as well. Thanks!
welcome to this project mangotango,

glad to see you here!

i have read the book for great parts, and have listened to the two german versions we have in the catalogue.

all in all, it is like this:
- main protragonist is a woman, who marries a soldier (upper classes in austria in the 19th century, so higher ranks of military), and becomes a widow soon.
- she "feels" the absurdity of war, tries to argue against war - but being an upper class member and daughter of a soldier, she always gets answers and even consoling advice, which is pro war propaganda
- there are several wars, also the feeling of the rise of an outbreak, everything described by woman with the ability to describe and being the sole person in her surroundings, who is against war. that is something like a taboo.
- she meets another high rank military member (tilling), who is rather aware of suffering and even his privileges as an upper class person. he is member of the military, but somewhat against war. he understands the feelings of a young widowed mother very well. he falls in love with her and she with him. she marries him. and this times, the story needs a little bit longer, to repeat itself.
. and this times, the story needs a little bit longer, to repeat itself.

there are 3-5 topics in this book: romance, history, philosophy, social critics. the main message is the title: lay down your arms, be against war! in the first posting, the summary is describing the author a little bit. she was actively working with alfred fried, and somewhat they invented a system like we have realized today: the uno. they believed into the power of political solutions and discussions, communication instead of warfare (in the book are some comments, which hint to views like this: she has no understanding and no preferences at all for some war-lust fevered, bored out kings, who won't even participate and let ther people die).
alfred fried wrote a 10-40 pages summary of theirconcept. in german it was my first solo reading and i was reading way too slow, but you can read it yourself and... they were not phantasizing about ending every warfare, but they were one of the great planners and thinkers of the last centuries.

what i want to add is: we on librivox are hobby volunteers and it is even possible to say, that we aim for hobby works. reading in the childrens rooms, at a campfire, telling a story... that is, what makes an fascinating athmosphere.
like you don't have to learn french or german for reading in this project, you don't need to make this on a professional level. in case you are a professional reader, somethng like stage staff, even a musician, you will likely have to step down despite delivering perfect recordings.
it is a very creative and skills dependant hobby, but it is a hobby :-D

hope, that helped,

edit: section 40, chapter ten/1 is yours!

grüß gott, greetings to my fellow tyrolean!
cheers,
wolfi

UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W » March 6th, 2021, 6:22 am

Dear reader friends,

Many thanks for uploading your recordings and thanks for your wonderful contributions to this project!
Sorry for my crazy last week's schedule, I will finish PL for the current files by Monday and from next week on, I should be able to PL and update your recording within 3 days.

Regards,
Jessie

schrm

Post by schrm » March 6th, 2021, 12:26 pm

UPRG11W wrote:
March 6th, 2021, 6:22 am
Dear reader friends,

Many thanks for uploading your recordings and thanks for your wonderful contributions to this project!
Sorry for my crazy last week's schedule, I will finish PL for the current files by Monday and from next week on, I should be able to PL and update your recording within 3 days.

Regards,
Jessie
:-)
thank you for staying tuned, but please: don't forget, that we all should have fun!
:clap:
i'm so glad you are our dpl, i hope i cangive you the feeling sometimes how much this is!
(and sorry, im not sure i'm able to speak german nor english after that day of work, too)
cheers,
wolfi

UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W » March 8th, 2021, 8:04 am

PL note:

I listened to your recording of section #31 and marked it as "PL OK".

Nancy, would you please confirm with me if the recording is 21:25, instead of 25:23?
I opened it from various places and saw the same length 21:25 and that it is perfect for "PL OK"!

Regards,
Jessie
njgorgen wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 2:26 pm
Sec 31 - 25m23s Nancy

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_31_suttner_128kb.mp3

njgorgen

Post by njgorgen » March 8th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Sorry - my typo - should have been 21m25s Nancy

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 8th, 2021, 3:28 pm

May I have section 69? And if so, is it OK if I use the german pronunciation for the author's name?

schrm

Post by schrm » March 9th, 2021, 1:21 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 3:28 pm
May I have section 69? And if so, is it OK if I use the german pronunciation for the author's name?
welcome to lay down your arms, rapunzelina!
:D
69 is yours - pronunciation is up to you. i read the german versions myself :-)
(i just don't want that someone feels not capable to read in this project. everyone with english skills is welcome to read lay down the arms!)

thank you very much for your claim!
cheers,
wolfi

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 10th, 2021, 2:07 am