~ [BIO/RELIGION] The Life of Philip Melanchthon by Karl Friedrich Ledderhose - kiki

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
SlametHarris

Post by SlametHarris » April 16th, 2020, 3:12 pm

silverquill

Post by silverquill » April 16th, 2020, 8:39 pm

SlametHarris wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 1:12 pm
I would take section 22: Help in a Dangerous Illness

SlametHarris
I see this is your first request, but before I put you in for this section, you need to complete a one minute test recording. Please refer to the Newbie Guide to Recording https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording for instructions.
After you have the official "OK" post here again for your request.
I will also need to know how you want to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname before the system will allow me to assign you a section.
~ Larry

silverquill

Post by silverquill » April 16th, 2020, 9:39 pm

Yikes! You’ve already recorded this??? :shock:

Well, on further checking I do see that you did complete a test recording and TriciaG gave you some feedback on some things that needed attention, and there are still some issues which I will note below. So, I downloaded the file to check it out. Here are some comments.

First, it is important to follow a certain procedure. First, make you claim or request for a certain section or sections of a project. But, wait until this is acknowledged by the book coordinator before recording and submitting the recording. This avoids a lot of confusion.

Second, in order for a section to be assigned, a new reader must be added to the LIbriVox catalog, so to do that we need to know exactly how you want to be listed – real name, pseudonym or other nickname.
Third, there are a couple of technical issues remaining.

1). The volume is too high. If you look at the wave form you will see how it fills up the field – lots of blue. You might consider downloading a little program written specifically for LV which will give you a decibel value and check all other LV specifications. It is called Checker and you can find information in it in the Newbie Guide to Recording, but here is a link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker
Our LV target is 89 dB with an acceptable range of 86-92 dB

2). There is a very strong background him in your recording. This can be reduced by using the Noise Reduction function in Audacity, if you are using that. We have some good tutorials on that, but ask if you need some help.

3) Minor, but worth correcting on your first recording – opening silence should be no more than one second, and should be five seconds at the end.

4) Most important: Your reading is excellent! I’ve listened to just a small sample and am impressed with your easy, natural style. All these technical things will become second nature to you as you go along and then you can just relax and enjoy your reading, and we will too. I hope to hear a lot of your voice!
Okay, so please make the above corrections, upload again under the same file name and post it here again, along with your catalog display name, and I’ll put it in the Magic Window for our proof listener, who will give you a full report.
~ Larry

yatsuatari

Post by yatsuatari » April 17th, 2020, 10:42 pm

silverquill

Post by silverquill » April 17th, 2020, 10:51 pm

Thank you!
Ready for PL :D
~ Larry

RuthP

Post by RuthP » April 20th, 2020, 8:28 am

Section 43 please!

silverquill

Post by silverquill » April 20th, 2020, 8:55 am

RuthP wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 8:28 am
Section 43 please!
You've got it!
Thank you.
~ Larry

RutherfordOsborn

Post by RutherfordOsborn » April 20th, 2020, 9:44 am

Hi Larry and greetings from the US Northeast. I'd like to take the following sections please:

16: The Kings of France and England

25: Progress of the Reformation

28: Luther Dies

Thanks...... Rutherford

silverquill

Post by silverquill » April 20th, 2020, 10:55 am

RutherfordOsborn wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 9:44 am
Hi Larry and greetings from the US Northeast. I'd like to take the following sections please:

16: The Kings of France and England

25: Progress of the Reformation

28: Luther Dies

Thanks...... Rutherford
Thank you!
I've assigned these sections to you and look forward to receiving your recordings.
Also for the Northeast - NH
~ Larry

RutherfordOsborn

Post by RutherfordOsborn » April 20th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Hi,

I need some guidance. When saying the following at the beginning of my recording: ""Chapter [number] Part [number] of The Life of Philip Melanchthon" for my first piece, the Magic Window shows it as Section 25 'Progress of Reformation'. When I look it up the text in the Project Gutenburg it shows it as Chapter XXI (21). So.....I would guess I go with the Magic Window description and say "Chapter 25 of The Life of Philip Melanchthon" is that correct. Should we always default to the Section # given in the Magic window and switch it from Section to Chapter?

Rutherford

silverquill

Post by silverquill » April 20th, 2020, 8:25 pm

RutherfordOsborn wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 5:44 pm
Hi,

I need some guidance. When saying the following at the beginning of my recording: ""Chapter [number] Part [number] of The Life of Philip Melanchthon" for my first piece, the Magic Window shows it as Section 25 'Progress of Reformation'. When I look it up the text in the Project Gutenburg it shows it as Chapter XXI (21). So.....I would guess I go with the Magic Window description and say "Chapter 25 of The Life of Philip Melanchthon" is that correct. Should we always default to the Section # given in the Magic window and switch it from Section to Chapter?

Rutherford
Good question.
When we have longer chapters that need to be divided up into more than one section, then the Section Numbers in the MW don't correspond to the Chapter Numbers in the book. That is why the intro uses the Chapter Numbers (and part number when needed). So, use the book Chapter Numbers. This makes it easier for the listener to keep track of what is being read. So, use "Chapter 21" in the intro and at the end. BUT, still use the MW Section number for naming the file that you upload.

Hope this clarifies the issue.
All the best,
~ Larry

RutherfordOsborn

Post by RutherfordOsborn » April 21st, 2020, 10:07 am

Crystal....thanks Larry.

~R

RutherfordOsborn

Post by RutherfordOsborn » April 21st, 2020, 11:27 am

Section 25 'Progress of Reformation' is complete and ready for your review. Duration: 12:57

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/melanchton_25_ledderhose_128kb.mp3

Rutherford

silverquill

Post by silverquill » April 21st, 2020, 5:57 pm

RutherfordOsborn wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 11:27 am
Section 25 'Progress of Reformation' is complete and ready for your review. Duration: 12:57

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/melanchton_25_ledderhose_128kb.mp3

Rutherford
Thanks so much!
This is in the MW Ready for PL.

I'll give our DPL a nudge so you can get a report on this.
~ Larry

SlametHarris

Post by SlametHarris » April 21st, 2020, 6:58 pm

Silverquill:

OK, I'll make those adjustments. I'm a noob to librivox (as you probably figured out) and am learning the ropes of the procedures.

Thanks,

Slamet Harris