[group] Blackie, A Lost Cat by Richard Barnum - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 30th, 2020, 5:49 pm

New modem installation delayed until instructions are clear.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » March 30th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

You were born to make mistakes; not fake perfection. So get in there and start making mistakds.!

Pssss! Some Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

cadastra

Post by cadastra » March 30th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Section 1 is PL OK - lovely reading! Section 4 PL notes: I noticed that there is a high pitched buzzing sound in the background from 03:35 onward. Have you ever used the noise cleaning feature in Audacity? The buzzing isn't that loud, but a pass or two of noise cleaning might remove it entirely.

Section 12 is PL OK!
Last edited by cadastra on March 31st, 2020, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
My LibriVox

"He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist." ~Francis of Assisi

reecedawg

Post by reecedawg » March 31st, 2020, 12:51 am

I would be happy to read 10 & 11!
Thanks-
Matt
"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » March 31st, 2020, 1:03 am

reecedawg wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 12:51 am
I would be happy to read 10 & 11!
Thanks-
Matt
And I would be happy to have you do that Matt. :thumbs:

You were born to make mistakes; not fake perfection. So get in there and start making mistakds.!

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » March 31st, 2020, 3:41 am

cadastra wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 8:05 pm
Section 1 is PL OK - lovely reading! Section 2 PL notes: I noticed that there is a high pitched buzzing sound in the background from 03:35 onward. Have you ever used the noise cleaning feature in Audacity? The buzzing isn't that loud, but a pass or two of noise cleaning might remove it entirely.

Section 12 is PL OK!
Is it section 2 or section 4 with the buzzing? You've marked section 4 in the MW.
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

cadastra

Post by cadastra » March 31st, 2020, 4:15 am

Whoops, I’m so sorry. I meant section 4.
My LibriVox

"He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist." ~Francis of Assisi

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » March 31st, 2020, 12:04 pm

Thank. I'll put these into the magic window for proof listening. :thumbs:

cadastra

Post by cadastra » March 31st, 2020, 8:14 pm

Kenzie (Sections 2 and 3),

First of all, I love your character voices! You really made the story come to life. However, there are technical issues with your files. Have you heard of Checker? You can check your own technical specifications using the program - https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker.

PL notes for both files:

1. The bit rate was 124 kbps and variable, not 128 kbps and constant, as we require. Follow these steps to export your file properly:

Click File > Export > Export as MP3. You'll see the "Export Audio" window appear. You can select the destination here, of course. Enter the name of the file (without the "mp3" on the end - it'll be added for you). The "Save as type" should already be selected as "MP3 files." DON'T click Save yet!!!

Now look at the "Format Options" box. Here select:

Constant
128 kbps
Force export to mono

Now click on "Save," and your mp3 will be exported at 128 kbps.

2. The volume of your files is around 98 dB, which falls outside of the target range (86-92 dB). The files need to be de-amplified to reduce the volume. Please de-amplify by -8.5 dB. See more information about the amplifying feature in Audacity here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Amplifying#3._Amplify.

When I opened your file in Audacity, I noticed that there was significant clipping. Clipping occurs when the input volume is too high, either due to your microphone settings or microphone placement (i.e. you are speaking too close to the microphone). The volume of your voice is too high for the microphone to record, which causes audio distortion. Luckily, there is a quick and easy way to fix how much sound the microphone picks up, and you can continue to speak in your normal voice without moving your microphone around. You have to adjust the input volume using the following instructions:

On a Mac:
Applications > System Preferences > Sound:
select your microphone under Choose a device for sound input
and slide the Input volume up, usually to 3/4 or 5/8 mark.

On a PC (Windows Vista / 7):
Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices (or right-click on the volume icon in the taskbar)
click the Recording tab.
right-click on the mic you're using and select Properties
click the Levels tab.
slide the volume higher to about 3/4 or 5/8 mark.

On a PC (Windows XP):
Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices
click the Audio tab.
Under Sound Recording Default device select your microphone from the drop-down menu and click Volume
most folks need to slide the volume higher to about 3/4 or 5/8 mark.

On a PC (Windows 7):
Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices > Recording
Double-click Microphone
Click Levels tab and adjust the volume slider
Click OK.

Adjusting the input level will prevent audio distortion the next time you record, and you won't have to do as much post-processing (amplifying or de-amplifying).

3. There was a low hum in the background of your recording which can be eliminated using Audacity's noise cleaning feature, although this isn't required, as the background noise wasn't loud enough to detract from your reading. To perform noise cleaning, please follow the instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning

I know this is a lot of information, so please let me know if you have any questions! Thanks so much.
My LibriVox

ktartaglione

Post by ktartaglione » March 31st, 2020, 8:45 pm

I found out after I recorded these that my laptop volume wasn't working correctly, as in what I was hearing was so much lower than what the actual volume of the file was. Therefore, I wasn't able to hear most of this stuff, so it doesn't surprise me that there were issues. But, I have fixed the volume issue and I will try to remedy the problems asap. Thank you very much!

ktartaglione

Post by ktartaglione » March 31st, 2020, 8:55 pm

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » March 31st, 2020, 10:57 pm

Thanks, I will mark these for spot checking. Did you get the OK on your 1 minute test? the purpose of that is to clear up these problems but perhaps they are fixed now.

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » April 1st, 2020, 3:37 am

This should be better now. I think the noise was inconsistent throughout the recording so I had to clean separate sections individually. Hopefully I haven't missed any.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/blackiealostcat_04_barnum_128kb.mp3
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

ktartaglione

Post by ktartaglione » April 1st, 2020, 10:10 am

philchenevert wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 10:57 pm
Thanks, I will mark these for spot checking. Did you get the OK on your 1 minute test? the purpose of that is to clear up these problems but perhaps they are fixed now.
I did when I first joined. It's been a while since I partook in a project