Writings of Samuel Adams, Vol 2 by Samuel Adams-lny

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
tyoung667

Post by tyoung667 » February 26th, 2021, 7:07 am

tyoung667 wrote:
February 24th, 2021, 7:23 am
See how this sounds.

Section 20 -14:29
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_20_adams_128kb.mp3
Have I done something wrong? This seems like a long time being proofed.

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » February 27th, 2021, 11:27 am

tyoung667 wrote:
February 26th, 2021, 7:07 am
tyoung667 wrote:
See how this sounds.

tyoung667,

Welcome to Librivox. I am the DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) for this project. My job is to listen to each recording and see if there is anything that should be 'corrected' before the recording can be put out to the public. As you are new, maybe there are a few things I can help you with.

You asked, "Have I done something wrong? This seems like a long time being proofed." You happened to come in to an unusual situation. This book was first started out as a "Solo" which means that one person was going to read the entire book. As sometimes happens, that reader started to read the book, then stopped for some reason, and the book was eventually opened up for anyone to read chapters to complete the book. Well, because of that, there were some instructions to readers that are different for a Solo than for a Group project. This is one of the instructions that is pertinent (taken from a book listing that was started out as a Group project): Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record. "Claiming" means you look at what you want then ask if you can have them. The "Magic Window" is the name give to the place where all the sections of a book are listed. The reason for this is that sometimes someone 'claims' a section before you and you don't notice it and the BC (Book Coordinator) has already told someone else they could have that section, so if you record it without 'permission' from the BC, all your work may be in vain. As I am somewhat of a newbie in DPL, I PMed (Personal Message) Linny (the BC for this project) on the 24th as to how to handle this, and have not heard back from her.

As far as timeliness of the PLing, you have to remember that we are all volunteers here and some of us have a life. But in this case, you will notice that there was a 'claimed' recording that came in shortly after yours (same day) and I got that PLed that same day. Yours would have been done then too if you had claimed it and been awarded it. Also, I, myself, recorded something over three weeks ago, and it has not yet been PLed, but that is the way it happens some times.

But, because of the unusual circumstances here, I am going to "make and executive decision" here and am going to go ahead and try to get your recording today. I was out of town yesterday, and Friday seemed to be "the" day to do recordings and so I have a few to do. I have to go to an appointment now, but I will try to do it later today.

I hope you understand all of the above. If you have any questions, just post here and I (or others) will respond.

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Ciufi

Post by Ciufi » February 27th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Here is section 38 (4:49):

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_38_adams_128kb.mp3

And I'd like to claim 40 and 41, also.

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » February 27th, 2021, 3:07 pm

Ciufi wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 12:57 pm
Here is section 38 (4:49):

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_38_adams_128kb.mp3

And I'd like to claim 40 and 41, also.
Another outstanding reading and PLOK :thumbs: right out of the box. :clap:

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

tyoung667

Post by tyoung667 » February 28th, 2021, 11:35 am

Kalamareader wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 11:27 am
tyoung667 wrote:
February 26th, 2021, 7:07 am
tyoung667 wrote:
See how this sounds.

tyoung667,

[Awesome explanation]

I hope you understand all of the above. If you have any questions, just post here and I (or others) will respond.

Wayne
I totally understand and meant no offense or to sound put out. My fear was that I'd jumped protocol, which I did, and threw a wrench in things. I did that, too, it seems. Now I understand, thanks for being patient.

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » February 28th, 2021, 12:47 pm

tyoung667 wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 11:35 am

I totally understand and meant no offense or to sound put out. My fear was that I'd jumped protocol, which I did, and threw a wrench in things. I did that, too, it seems. Now I understand, thanks for being patient.
Thanks for your understanding. And as life happens, I didn't get to it yesterday, and today and tomorrow I am away from a computer, so it will be Tuesday before I get to it.

Sorry,

Wayne
Wayne

tyoung667

Post by tyoung667 » March 1st, 2021, 9:18 am

Kalamareader wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 12:47 pm
tyoung667 wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 11:35 am

Thanks for your understanding. And as life happens, I didn't get to it yesterday, and today and tomorrow I am away from a computer, so it will be Tuesday before I get to it.

Sorry,

Wayne
No sorry. There is absolutely no rush on my end, whatever time you need. Thanks, Wayne.

Kaitybg7

Post by Kaitybg7 » March 1st, 2021, 7:19 pm

Kaitybg7

Post by Kaitybg7 » March 1st, 2021, 7:24 pm

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » March 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm

tyoung667 wrote:
See how this sounds.

Hi there and welcome to LV! I've been away for a week. I can see you have been working with our DPL so I won't repeat what has already been told. In the future please do claim a section prior to recording it. It would be awful if while you were recording someone else claimed it and then we couldn't use your version. We hate to waste work.

Here is your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/15884 The Reader section details link is a great way to keep track of your claims.

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » March 2nd, 2021, 1:54 pm

Kaitybg7 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 7:24 pm
Section 12 (2:00)

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_12_adams_128kb.mp3
Thank you for sections 11 and 12. They are in for PL. :D

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » March 2nd, 2021, 1:55 pm

Wayne,
Thank you for being backup BC while I was away. I really expected to have a chance to check in and keep up every couple of days. I'm sorry for adding to your workload here.

Again, thank you! You're awesome! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » March 2nd, 2021, 7:37 pm

tyoung667 wrote:
See how this sounds.
Well, I finally got around to it. The reading itself is very enjoyable to listen to. You have a nice calming voice. There are, however, a few things we need to look at.

At the beginning of the recording, there should be a gap of .5-1 second before you start speaking, you have about a second and a half.

1:56 -2:02 And that they came down under a pretence of suppressing a riot, repeat plus noise at the end.

2:11.5 Loud click

8:34 when even an officer at Murray’s barracks, You said of. I think that this is an important differentiation.

10:47 leading from Murray’s barracks into the street You said to

12:08.5 Another, who was sworn in Court, You said has

12:11 a witness for the Crown declared, You said Court

Just work over these few things and it will be fine.

Note: When 'attacking' the corrections, start at the last one and go forward, and that will keep the 'time stamps' accurate.

Looking forward to it,

Wayne
Wayne

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » March 2nd, 2021, 8:17 pm

Kaitybg7 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 7:19 pm
Section 11 (7:08)

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_11_adams_128kb.mp3
Kaity,

I really enjoy listening to your narrations. Very well done, and pleasant.

Here are a few things on Section 11:

At the beginning, we need .5-1 second of silence before you start reading. On this one, there is about .2 seconds.

2:06.5 she shall have totally lost their Affections. You said affectations.

4:31 and three others were put on as Talesmen Preston having challengd Eighteen You said talisman
(Talesman: A member of a jury panel chosen from bystanders when a regularly summoned jury turns out to be insufficient in number for a scheduled trial. ) (educated me too.)

5:55.5 but am in hopes of having a minute Accot of it from a sensible Gentleman who was present You said minute (min-ut) as in time, but the word is, in this context, minute (my-noot) as in small or detailed. I think it is important.

And at the end, could you add about another second to make the five needed?

I am amazed how you do so well with those contractions. :thumbs: Keep up the good work, and hope to hear from you soon,

Wayne

P.S. My guess is either a singer and/or swimmer and/or serious runner based on your great breath control! :hmm:
Wayne

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » March 2nd, 2021, 8:34 pm

Kaitybg7 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 7:24 pm
Section 12 (2:00)

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_12_adams_128kb.mp3
Because you readings themselves are so great, it really pains me to add these things which really should be addressed, and will make your work even better.

At the beginning, we need .5-1 second of silence before you start reading. On this one, there is less than .2 seconds.

At about :18.5 there is a loud click that can just be cut out very easily.

Starting at :24. Here, in this kind of reading, where the instructions say: (Section Title), what you should read is the title at the beginning of the reading, in this case: “The House of Representatives to the Lieutenant-Governor of Massachusetts”, then, May it Please your Honor. In this case, as this point, you don't say the Section Number again.

At about :44, a large 'crash' in the background.

And at the end, there are only four, instead of five seconds of silence.

You are soooo close. Don't get discouraged, and I am looking forward to being able to give you three ok's

Wayne
Wayne