[NONFIC] Psychological Warfare by Paul M.A. Linebarger - tg

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
mmiizzaas

Post by mmiizzaas » March 4th, 2021, 1:58 pm

:( I am in the UK, yes. I am sorry for this inconvenience on my part. I will keep that in mind for the next time.

elibishop

Post by elibishop » March 6th, 2021, 1:33 am

Hi. I'm new and haven't had my 1-minute test reviewed yet, but I'd like to contribute to this. I'm in the US.

It looks like 1a has been claimed, even though it's not shown as gray in the magic window. If so, then I'd like to start with 2a: The Function of Psychological Warfare, Part 1.

Also, two tiny questions:

1. What's the right pronunciation of Linebarger's last name— hard G, or soft? I don't think I've ever heard it said aloud.

2. In the explanation of what to say at the start, would "Section Title as written in the Magic Window" include the words "Chapter 2a"?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 6th, 2021, 8:04 am

Welcome! I'll put you in. :)

I'll put in your catalog name (as it'll show on the finished projects) as "elibishop". Please let me know if you want something different.

Chapter 1a has not been claimed. It was, but the reader discovered that it's not PD for them. So does that mean you want chapter 1 or 2? :)

1. I don't know. :lol: I assume with a hard G, but that's just a flip of the coin, really.

2. Yes, go ahead and read "2a". I do want the chapter number in it, and the A is just a bonus. :P
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

elibishop

Post by elibishop » March 6th, 2021, 11:48 am

OK, if 1a isn't taken then I'm happy starting with 1a.

Another question: chapter 1 has a lot of illustrations, and I saw your instructions about the figure captions, but I was wondering also about text within the pictures. The full text of the pamphlet in figure 1, the word balloon in figure 2, the English version of the text in figure 4, and the brief text in figure 11 are all legible. The newspaper text in figure 7 is not. The text in figure 9 is pretty much legible, but is quite long and in archaic language. The other figures contain no English-language text. In at least some of these cases the text seems germain to understanding what Linebarger is saying about these documents (as in figure 2, "Note the extreme simplicity of the message")— although, as in that example, it might be hard to understand its context without a brief description to indicate that these words are being spoken by a skeletal Grim Reaper. I looked in the FAQ posts but didn't see guidance on this.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 6th, 2021, 11:55 am

Don't read the text within the images themselves. Like you say, one would often have to describe the drawings/images as well, and that would get really cumbersome.

Yes, it does leave some of the captions ambiguous, but we have to strike a balance somewhere. :)

If a listener is really interested in the details, they can look at the images in the source text.

elibishop

Post by elibishop » March 6th, 2021, 12:22 pm

Got it, thanks.

bmitchell062003

Post by bmitchell062003 » March 6th, 2021, 3:59 pm

Hello,

I'd like to take Ch 1b: Historic Examples of Psychological Warfare, Part 2.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 6th, 2021, 4:01 pm

bmitchell062003 wrote:
March 6th, 2021, 3:59 pm
Hello,

I'd like to take Ch 1b: Historic Examples of Psychological Warfare, Part 2.
I've put you in. Thanks!

elibishop

Post by elibishop » March 6th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Section 1 - Historic Examples of Psychological Warfare, Part 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/psychologicalwarfare_01_linebarger_128kb.mp3

20:27

elibishop

Post by elibishop » March 6th, 2021, 6:10 pm

And if that recording passes muster, I'd like to claim the next available section, #3 (ch 2a).

Btw, I'm a fan of Linebarger's/Smith's science fiction and I find his background and outlook so interesting that I always wanted to read this, but never got around to it. It's fascinating to encounter this text for the first time in a reading-aloud context; his nonfiction voice is pretty much what I imagined, there's an academic precision to it but with flashes of unusual imagery and humor. The sentence "Psychological strategy is planned along the edge of nightmare" is not one I'd expect from any other writer.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 6th, 2021, 6:17 pm

Thank you! I was able to listen. Well read, and PL OK! 8-) I'll put you in for the next section.
The sentence "Psychological strategy is planned along the edge of nightmare" is not one I'd expect from any other writer.
That was a great sentence.

elibishop

Post by elibishop » March 7th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Section 3 - The Function of Psychological Warfare, part 1 (16:10)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/psychologicalwarfare_03_linebarger_128kb.mp3

I'd like to claim section 4 if that's still available by the time this one is reviewed, or whatever's next.

If the next available one at that point happens to be section 5, I have a reading question. The author at one point takes a creative approach to representing profanity by mashing typewriter keys: "Come on out of there, you qwertyuiop asdfgs, or we'll zxcvb you all to hjkl, you etc.'s!". Sounding out "qwertyuiop asdfgs" is difficult and it might be hard for a listener to get what's happening, but spelling out "Q-W-E-R-T-Y-U-I-O-P" might be a bit slow. Any ideas?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 7th, 2021, 12:29 pm

I'll check out 3 soon, and in the meantime have put you in for 4.

You may claim more than one section at a time, by the way. ;)

Regarding the garbled words: I think if it were me, I'd just garble my words. You know how sometimes one just mumbles out nonsense syllables in lieu of swearing? I think that's probably the best option. :hmm:

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 7th, 2021, 12:53 pm

Section 3 PL OK!

elibishop

Post by elibishop » March 7th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Yay! Here's section 4, Chapter 2b: The Function of Psychological Warfare, Part 2 (16:16)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/psychologicalwarfare_04_linebarger_128kb.mp3

I think actually I'd like to skip ahead at this point and claim sections 8 and 9, that is chapter 5. It's calling to me because there's more narrative.