My test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
TrulyGreg
Posts: 17
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Post by TrulyGreg » April 20th, 2021, 6:37 am

I already tested it with the checker, but I didn't know I had to post it here. Hopefully it gets approved and I can start soon! Thank you.


https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BbKHiUWVOPwFQdZos-pr71r88t2VQm4S/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BbKHiUWVOPwFQdZos-pr71r88t2VQm4S/view?usp=sharing


idk if link will work

Lmnei
Posts: 4007
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » April 20th, 2021, 10:05 am

TrulyGreg wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 6:37 am
I already tested it with the checker, but I didn't know I had to post it here. Hopefully it gets approved and I can start soon! Thank you.


https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BbKHiUWVOPwFQdZos-pr71r88t2VQm4S/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BbKHiUWVOPwFQdZos-pr71r88t2VQm4S/view?usp=sharing


idk if link will work
Hi there - welcome to Librivox! Unfortunately, that link will not work - please follow the instructions in the Welcome email on how to upload a file to Librivox so it can be listened to - happy to listen when you paste that link into this chain of messages.

Lynda

TrulyGreg
Posts: 17
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Post by TrulyGreg » April 20th, 2021, 10:10 am

Hello Lynda! I already sent my test on the submission thing long ago. I just thought it would get checked automatically. But I didn't know I had to notify that I had sent it here. So I guess I no longer have to do anything?

Thank you!

TrulyGreg
Posts: 17
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Post by TrulyGreg » April 20th, 2021, 10:11 am

Lmnei wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 10:05 am
TrulyGreg wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 6:37 am
I already tested it with the checker, but I didn't know I had to post it here. Hopefully it gets approved and I can start soon! Thank you.


https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BbKHiUWVOPwFQdZos-pr71r88t2VQm4S/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BbKHiUWVOPwFQdZos-pr71r88t2VQm4S/view?usp=sharing


idk if link will work
Hi there - welcome to Librivox! Unfortunately, that link will not work - please follow the instructions in the Welcome email on how to upload a file to Librivox so it can be listened to - happy to listen when you paste that link into this chain of messages.

Lynda
Hello Lynda! I already sent my test on the submission thing long ago. I just thought it would get checked automatically. But I didn't know I had to notify that I had sent it here. So I guess I no longer have to do anything?

Thank you!

Lmnei
Posts: 4007
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » April 20th, 2021, 10:30 am

Hi Greg -

All the submissions go into a huge directory that we do not have access to on the server.

All submissions whether they are test or chapters read need to have their links posted to the message on the applicable forum.

If you look around LV you will see them all over the place.

The best thing for you at this time, if I have understood correctly, is to re-upload your submission and have it reviewed.

Lynda

TrulyGreg
Posts: 17
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Post by TrulyGreg » April 20th, 2021, 12:20 pm

Lmnei wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 10:30 am
Hi Greg -

All the submissions go into a huge directory that we do not have access to on the server.

All submissions whether they are test or chapters read need to have their links posted to the message on the applicable forum.

If you look around LV you will see them all over the place.

The best thing for you at this time, if I have understood correctly, is to re-upload your submission and have it reviewed.

Lynda
ok I understand now! I'll post it here and also make a new thread. Thank you


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_trulygreg.mp3

TrulyGreg
Posts: 17
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Post by TrulyGreg » April 20th, 2021, 12:21 pm


wib66
Posts: 11397
Joined: January 5th, 2012, 8:57 am

Post by wib66 » April 20th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Hi and welcome to Librivox. Thank you for your recording. The reading is great and all the technical aspects are correct. You are now good to go and find something you would like to read. Do ask if you have any questions. Have fun.

Just for future recordings you could remove some of the background noise. If you are using Audacity you can do the following.

Step 1 - Select a piece of background noise
Select a piece of background noise (no speech, breaths or other noises) in your audio.
In Menu click: Effect > Noise Reduction... A dialog will pop up.
Click "Get Noise Profile" The dialog box will close instantly.

Step 2 - Noise Reduction
Press CTRL-A / Command-A to select your complete recording.
In Menu click: Effect > Noise Reduction... again. Note: don't select "Repeat Noise Reduction" -- that instantly applies the default settings; you want to adjust the settings and preview the results before you apply the noise filters.

Set Noise Reduction (dB) to 12
Set sensitivity to 6.00
Set frequency smoothing bands to 3
Choose Noise: Reduce
Click ok

Lmnei
Posts: 4007
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » April 20th, 2021, 7:29 pm

Hi there TrulyGreg!

Okay, got your recording and it meets all the technical specifications however it has a bit too much noise in it.

If you open your recording and click on the + in the magnifying glass it will expand your recording. Just do it once or twice. At the beginning and end especially you can see a fuzzy line and that is noise being picked up. That line should be almost straight. We know that we do not record in perfect conditions so sometimes there is some noise - we just try and minimize it for recording or we can also try to clean it up in Audacity.

Here is how to clean it up in Audacity -

First, highlight or select your whole recording. In Audacity there is a Select button on the middle left side of the window. Then go to Effect - Noise Reduction and select the top button Get Noise Profile. That will look at your recording and take a nanosecond. Then with the recording still highlighted go back to Noise Reduction and enter 12, 6.0 and 6 and Reduce. The first number is used to reduce your noise and volume - you do not always need to enter 12 there in the future. I am often entering 3 or 4 there when my recording needs just minimal noise cleaning. However, in this example (I have already run through this on your recording) you need 12 as the first number. Then press OK. You will see some of the peaks and valleys go down.

Now, as Noise Reduction also reduces volume, we are going to add some Volume back to the recording.

With the recording highlighted (Ctrl - A) or use the Select button on the left side of where the recording is - go to Effect - Amplify and enter in 8. Then press OK.

Now Export your recording and Upload it and post the link in this thread so I can take a look at it! Hopefully that will be the polish that it needs :)

Lynda

TrulyGreg
Posts: 17
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Post by TrulyGreg » April 21st, 2021, 6:21 am

Hello, unfortunately when I try to amplify after reducing the noise it forces me to clip. I think I have to buy a new microphone :(

Lmnei
Posts: 4007
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » April 21st, 2021, 9:12 am

Hi Truly Greg!

Please try the Compressor first... which you can find in the same menu item as Amplify... I would compress about 8:1 at this point and then try amplification again.

Lynda

TrulyGreg
Posts: 17
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Post by TrulyGreg » April 21st, 2021, 12:49 pm

Hello Lynda!

I think I did it.


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_trulygreg.mp3

I'm not sure though

Lmnei
Posts: 4007
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » April 21st, 2021, 5:14 pm

TrulyGreg wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 12:49 pm
Hello Lynda!

I think I did it.


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_trulygreg.mp3

I'm not sure though
Looks great to me! You have graduated onto the Librivox forums now! Congratulations you pass! Have fun!

Lynda

TrulyGreg
Posts: 17
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Post by TrulyGreg » April 22nd, 2021, 11:50 pm

Lmnei wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 5:14 pm
TrulyGreg wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 12:49 pm
Hello Lynda!

I think I did it.


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_trulygreg.mp3

I'm not sure though
Looks great to me! You have graduated onto the Librivox forums now! Congratulations you pass! Have fun!

Lynda
Yay! Thank you

Post Reply