1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
KateTk

Post by KateTk » May 6th, 2021, 7:31 pm

Hi there,
I just uploaded my 1-minute test in https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test.mp3

These are my recording conditions...
Recording software: Audacity
Operating system: Windows
Mic type: USB microphone

I know that using noise reduction can improve the sound but I uploaded the raw and unprocessed recording as suggested in the wiki.

Thanks for taking your time to listen and give feedback.
Kate
Kate

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » May 7th, 2021, 12:31 am

hello Kate and welcome to the forum :)

you have a lovely voice and diction, and the pacing is fine to listen agreably to it and follow along. Already I'm looking forward to hearing you in one of the projects where I am prooflistener, if you are interested in any of them. :9:

I saw in your introduction that you also speak Thai, how interesting. If you ever want to record a poem or short story in Thai (you need to find a public domain source though, so please first post the link to the source there before you record to make sure it's a valid source), it will fit perfectly in our multilingual project: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=86458. I am actually the prooflistener there, but I fear I cannot read the Thai script, so we would need help with that section. :lol:

Before you start in your first official recording though, we need to tweak a few of your settings to make them LV standard. In Audacity this is all very easy, I can walk you through it. Please re-open your test and do the following (no need to re-record):

1. the DC bias is really high (over 250, normal would be around 0). You can normalize the recording, like this:
> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Normalize
> tick the box "Remove DC offset" and press OK

2. the background noise is really high, it would be good to check for the source of the noise and try to find the quietest spot in the house to record ;). But you can noise-clean like this:
> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

3. the volume is 91.8 dB, which is just inside our limits (86-92 maximum) so don't get any higher. In fact -2 less would bring it closer to the desired average of 89 (but it's not a must), and the background noise would also be a bit less again. You can de-amplify like this:
> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -2 (in your case now) in the first upper box slot (called "amplification dB") - change nothing in the lower box !
> press ok

4. the bitrate is variable but we need 128kbps constant. This gets changed while exporting to mp3:
> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps
> press Ok

this is all. Could you reupload the test one more time and post in this same thread, then I can have another look. :) Maybe name the file "test_kate" or something, to differentiate from all the other tests that may come in and personalize it. ;)

We'll get to it, don't be discouraged. These settings are only difficult in the beginning, once you are set, it will be easier.

Oh, here is the Checker program, which will tell you all about bitrate, DC bias, background noise and volume, if you want to check your mp3 file before you reupload. I use it for all my recordings to make sure all is up to standard :) http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Sonia

KateTk

Post by KateTk » May 7th, 2021, 1:26 am

Hi Sonia,

Thanks so much for your warm welcome and thank you for the compliment about my voice :9:. I know it is nothing impressive but I DO REALLY love reading :lol: and I still would love to hear suggestions for ways to improve :D

Your instructions are really clear and easy to follow. I uploaded my new test file here at https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test_Kate_v2.mp3 Let me know how it goes.

I definitely am looking forward to having a chance to work with you :D

Kate
Kate

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » May 7th, 2021, 1:36 am

excellent, wonderful and all tech specs are now correct (the DC bias is still a bit high but much less than before), so this test gets the official OK and you are ready to claim sections in any project you are interested in. :thumbs:

About improving reading...it's hard to give guidelines as one person's likes will be other people's dislikes. For the one you will read too fast, for the other too slow, and so on. For me personally, I like expressiveness, clear articulation and not too fast reading. In those three points you match my preferences, so I like your narration. Bottom line is: you cannot please everybody, so it's important that you are happy with your recording. And if you read with a genuine enthusiasm, it will show in the recording and people will surely react positively to it. That is basically the best advice I can give.

Here at LV it's all about having fun, so I hope you will join the club :)

There is lots to explore, maybe you will find a niche you never even thought you would. For me the big revelation was stage plays, I never thought I would enjoy "acting out" but I actually do, it's quite addictive. So if every you want to join our crazy gang of thespians, you're more than welcome. And chances are high you may meet me again as DPL ;)

Have fun !

Sonia

KateTk

Post by KateTk » May 7th, 2021, 2:31 am

Thanks Sonia!

You make a good point. Each listener has a different preference so it's best that I am genuinely enthusiastic with my reading. Thank you for the advice!

I know that I will have fun! And yes! I am looking forward to doing some dramatic reading! :D However, I'm going to start slow with something familiar and easy first, just to get my footing before I go "advanced" :lol:

For now, I've got my eyes on a project for "Our Western Birds". Wish me good luck :wink:

Thanks again!
Kate
Kate

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » May 7th, 2021, 2:37 am

KateTk wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 2:31 am
I am looking forward to doing some dramatic reading! :D
yay
However, I'm going to start slow with something familiar and easy first, just to get my footing before I go "advanced" :lol:
that is a very wise decision. Also it's best to start with a shorter chapter before launching in one-hour-recordings. Because the editing phase usually takes 3 to 4 times as long as the recording, so starting with a shorter chapter will make it easier in the beginning.

Good luck with the western birds !

Sonia