1 minute test - please listen [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Jonahruss

Post by Jonahruss » June 20th, 2021, 10:11 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jonahruss.mp3

Hi. i would be most grateful for feedback on my first test recording. It is a raw, unedited copy using Audacity 3.0.2, A Samson Q2U USB microphone and Windows 10 Pro on a Lenovo V130-15IKB 64 bit system

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » June 22nd, 2021, 8:31 am

Hi Jonah! Welcome to Librivox! :clap:

Sounds good, just two points to address:

One is the volume, which is lower than desired. In this recording, you could fix it with Amplifying by 8dB(from menu Effects -> Amplify -> the top box for dB). But check to see if you can increase your microphone's input volume so that you can record closer to or within desired range (in dB numbers, desired range is about 87-92, with 89dB being the target). It's a good idea to test your volume and adjust if needed, so you could use the Checker that shows the volume in dB, so you'll now by how much to adjust to get closer to 89dB.
If you notice that the background white noise gets too noticable with amplifying, you can apply the Noise Reduction effect. That is a two step process.
First to get the Noise Profile, you select a section of your recording that has pure background noise, no speaking. You can select by highlighting with your mouse. You could probably use the final seconds of the recording for this. Then you go menu Effects -> Noise Reduction, and click on "Get Noise Profile".
Then, you select the whole track (e.g. with Ctrl + A) and go to menu Effects -> Noise Reduction again. My settings are "Noise Reduction": 10, "Sensitivity": 3 and "Smoothing": 2, but you may experiment with these settings to find what works best for your own setup. When you click OK, Audacity will run Noise Reduction on the entire track.

The other point is the bitrate: it should be 128 kbps Constant. In Audacity, you can set that when exporting as mp3. Check the format options in the Export Window, and choose "Constant" for Bit Rate Mode, and "128 kbps" for Quality. Then click Save to export and Audacity should keep these settings for all future exports.

When you're ready with a new file, please post it here again for a final check :)
Librivox has been running for almost 16 years! :birthday:
Join the celebrations by recording for the LibriVox Sixteenth Anniversary Collection

Jonahruss

Post by Jonahruss » June 23rd, 2021, 7:30 am

Thank you so much for the extremely helpful advice. I will edit the recording and resubmit.

Have a great day.

Jonahruss

Post by Jonahruss » June 23rd, 2021, 7:59 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_jonahruss.mp3

Hello. I have re-recorded and edited my 1 minute test using the very helpful advice of Rapunzelina. I have amplified the overall volume (my mic is at full volume and and used the noise reduction to take out some of the background noise.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » June 23rd, 2021, 12:12 pm

Hi Jonah! I merged your two posts to keep your history in one place.

This one passes muster! Glad I could help! :D

You're ready for the real recordings! Have fun! :clap:
Librivox has been running for almost 16 years! :birthday:
Join the celebrations by recording for the LibriVox Sixteenth Anniversary Collection

Jonahruss

Post by Jonahruss » June 24th, 2021, 6:23 am

you are a star! Thank you so much!