1 minute test - volunteering - Spanish native speaker

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
melaniecouvert

Post by melaniecouvert » March 1st, 2021, 7:22 am

Hi!
My name is Melanie. I'm a teacher of English as a Foreign Language where I live, Argentina (I'm a Spanish native speaker). I've just recorded my volunteering 'audio', and I wanted to register in order to upload some 'readings' if needed. This is the link. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/MelanieCouvert.volunteering_.mp3
I'll start reading 'El túnel, de Ernesto Sábato' this week at home. This is a well-known book in my country and all students at secondary school must read it here. If my audio is OK I can start recording it in order to share that here.
Hope I can help!
Thanks,
Melanie.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 1st, 2021, 11:00 am

Welcome! I haven't checked your test, but wanted to mention that El Tunel is still under copyright:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_T%C3%BAnel

First published in 1948, it will be out of copyright in the US January 1, 2044.

The author having died in 2011, it won't be out of copyright in Argentina until January 1, 2082.

Look for works published in 1925 or earlier, and authors who died in 1950 or earlier.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Psychological Warfare: HERE
Thrift, by Samuel Smiles HERE

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 1st, 2021, 5:23 pm

OK, I'm back to check your test this time. :)

So far, so good! There are some technical settings to fix. Are you using Audacity? I'm going to assume you are when I give instructions. :)

1. The recording is in stereo. To change all future recordings, go to Edit, Preferences, Devices. Under Recording, change Channels to "1 (Mono)".

2. Your volume is too low. Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

Make sure the microphone slider in the Audacity window is all the way up. Also, have you increased your input volume in Windows yet? Here's a link to instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3#Volume

(By numbers, your volume needs to come up about 5 dB.)

3. Bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Post the link in this same thread when it's ready. :)
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Psychological Warfare: HERE
Thrift, by Samuel Smiles HERE

melaniecouvert

Post by melaniecouvert » March 3rd, 2021, 1:37 pm

Thanks for all the info!!!!!
You're being so kind to me!