[SOLVED] LV personal Wiki pages?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » May 17th, 2011, 7:45 am

Is it true that we all have, or can set up, a personal wiki page?

If so, I would like to know how to do it.

Thanks, :D
Last edited by philchenevert on May 21st, 2011, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We're off to Scotland," said Tom clandestinely.
Watch these tutorial videos at your own peril: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 17th, 2011, 8:31 am

I'm pretty sure they were discontinued due to spammers. At least, no one has gotten a new page that I know of since I have been a member here.
By John Muir: Our National Parks
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
New York scenes, 1897: Darkness and Daylight
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » May 17th, 2011, 8:46 am

Thank you Tricia. That's what I needed to know and I can stop looking for the secret code hidden in our Wiki.

...although why the consumers of a canned, processed meat product should cause so much trouble is hard to understand :hmm:

:D
Watch these tutorial videos at your own peril: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » May 17th, 2011, 11:22 am

No, hang on, they still work.

Here's yours, Phil: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

We discontinued open account creation in the wiki, and to be honest I don't remember how to sign up now -- does one have to PM Jc still..? Anyway, there is a way to get a wiki account (which is separate to one's forum account, though it's much easier to have the same username for both) so the personal page steps are:
  • Get a wiki account somehow and log in to it.
  • Click on your name in the very top left of the wiki screen.
  • You are now on your Personal Page though it doesn't have any content yet.
  • Click 'edit' in the top menu bar, and put whatever you like there.
  • Play around with wiki formatting -- it's a bit different to the forum BBcode, but not too hard to get the hang of (hint: use the buttons just above the text-box window, rather than trying to remember '' means italics and so on.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 17th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Cori!
By John Muir: Our National Parks
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
New York scenes, 1897: Darkness and Daylight
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » May 17th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Great Cori. I already have access to Wiki so will check out my 'personal page' now.

I've been looking for a easily accessible, cheap way to clearly list all LibriVox tutorial videos so they can be scanned quickly for the right one when a bit of help is needed. This may not be the answer but it IS cheap and that is important to me. :D :D

plus I can use it to store all my spare pixels and bytes. right?

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » May 17th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Thanks Cori. This is a first draft of my personal wiki page and I think it may work!

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

I know that 6 of these videos need editing and I will fix them in May or June. In fact I am going to eliminate the newest one about our Forum; it seems much too long.

My thanks to everyone, especially you overworked admins, for taking the time to watch these and give me feedback. Your experience has been very helpful in keeping these things helpful instead of misleading. Having one simple link like this can perhaps be used to save some time with new members; maybe not. :wink:

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » May 17th, 2011, 2:20 pm

If it's not making too much more work for you ... perhaps, don't remove the forum one entirely -- but snip it up, so it's just one or two features in each video. That way people can jump to the exact bit they're interested in. In all the time I've been here, I'd never thought about the "go to newest post in forum" feature, even though I could see the link, and would have realised what it did if I'd given it some thought. So cool to learn something new!

Also, your personal page looks :thumbs:

And, for my part anyway, I enjoy answering questions ... I get to feel all expert for about 2 minutes (which very rarely happens in daily life :lol:) and it's nice to pass on the knowledge, esp. to someone who's then sending it straight on to others in a different format. Plus, it's useful to question *everything* from time to time ... makes sure we're on the right track, doing the right things, and we really are taking the shortest distance between two points. Many, many changes & improvements on our process came from people asking a question, and the answer not being entirely satisfactory to everyone. We all practice kaizen as best we can. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » May 18th, 2011, 8:30 am

"Cori"]If it's not making too much more work for you ..
Work? Cori this is way too much fun, I love the idea of being useful, especially when people give me ideas!
perhaps, don't remove the forum one entirely -- but snip it up, so it's just one or two features in each video. That way people can jump to the exact bit they're interested in.

great idea. will leave this one there for people with time to browse but make smaller videos of individual parts. Have already taken out the "Keeping Track of Your Projects" parts in a 5 minute video that should prove much more useful. It is on my Wiki page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEZM40D_81I
Also, your personal page looks :thumbs:
thanks to you and others who help me find it!
And, for my part anyway, I enjoy answering questions ... I get to feel all expert for about 2 minutes (which very rarely happens in daily life :lol:) and it's nice to pass on the knowledge, esp. to someone who's then sending it straight on to others in a different format. Plus, it's useful to question *everything* from time to time ... makes sure we're on the right track, doing the right things, and we really are taking the shortest distance between two points. Many, many changes & improvements on our process came from people asking a question, and the answer not being entirely satisfactory to everyone. We all practice kaizen as best we can. :D
kaizen! what a wonderful thing. :D :D

Jc

Post by Jc » May 18th, 2011, 2:53 pm

Just dropping in to say that yes, people still have to PM me (or someone with admin privileges on the WIKI) and I'll create a user account using the same log-in name as your LV forum one.

I've been sorta on the sidelines these days but I still drop by once in a while and create wiki accounts for those who PMed me.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)

Samanem

Post by Samanem » May 19th, 2011, 5:54 am

Phil -

I posted this on the Forum Video thread also, but its come up in yet another thread about setting up Google Docs for a project and how to do it - i.e. splitting up the chapters for readers, setting up the account, how to name them, how to list them, etc. This might be a good focused topic that would interest more experienced Librivoxateers who have not yet had the pleasure of figuring out Google Docs.

What do you think?

Dennis
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » May 19th, 2011, 9:46 am

Thanks Dennis, both for this suggestion (which I think is excellent and definitely needs to be done) and for your casual mention of the Forum Video thread, which does not exist yet but will soon. :D

It seems such an obvious move: to put all our tutorial video stuff; finished ones, suggestions for new ones, criticisms, comments, suggested changes, updates etc into one thread instead of scattering them all around in different topics, threads and PMs. This way those people interested could stay updated and know where to look for information and where to post stuff when an inspiration hits them (like it hit you).

phil

Samanem

Post by Samanem » May 19th, 2011, 10:37 am

philchenevert wrote:... your casual mention of the Forum Video thread, which does not exist yet but will soon. :D
I meant the thread where you asked people to watch the fabulous video about our fabulous Forum, please tell me that thread really exists and its not all been in my head.. :shock:

:wink: But I know what you meant...
philchenevert wrote:It seems such an obvious move: to put all our tutorial video stuff; finished ones, suggestions for new ones, criticisms, comments, suggested changes, updates etc into one thread instead of scattering them all around in different topics, threads and PMs. This way those people interested could stay updated and know where to look for information and where to post stuff when an inspiration hits them (like it hit you).
Maybe a sticky?

Dennis
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|