id3 tags

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » November 29th, 2020, 3:29 am

Hi, i just wanted to double check - am i correct in thinking are id3 tags no longer used for any projects? can i remove mention for them from the first post for a group project?

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 29th, 2020, 4:04 am

Yes, they are now set automatically during the cataloging stage.
No harm if they are there, they will simply be overwritten.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 29th, 2020, 6:39 am

You may remove mention of them if you like, or as Availle said, there's no harm in leaving the info, either. :)
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » November 29th, 2020, 1:32 pm

I generally follow the instructions of the group BC, but for my solos I like to have the section info with (optional) in the first post, as a reminder to myself what to include. I include the tags in the files I submit, knowing they'll be overwritten or eliminated, but have it in the recording's file properties of my copy for my own use and record-keeping.

<tb>

Which brings up a pet peeve of mine regarding the author of a work. LV (and some others) likes to tag, during cataloguing, a project with name of the "actual" author rather than the pseudonym or house name recorded in the Library of Congress or the book's title page. This is especially true of house names (e.g. of the Stratemeyer Syndicate), of which the Baseball Joe series is a part, where multiple "real" authors have contributed books under the same house name, even within a series of books.

As an example, the house name for the Baseball Joe series is Lester Chadwick. Some sources believe that Howard R. Garis wrote some or all of the series, and LV* has it catalogued under this author. Other sources believe that John W. Duffield wrote a majority of the books in the series. As contract authors' contributions for the Stratemeyer syndicate were to be kept secret, by contract, it's often difficult to know wrote what. Besides, IMHO, most readers of these series would know the stated author rather than the "actual" (if known) author.

ETA: While the cataloguing has been this way for a number of years, it appears that the .mp3 file-naming has changed to this method of authorship with the change to no longer requiring ID3 tags.

FWIW,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe on the Giants; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe in the World Series

Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia » November 30th, 2020, 10:34 am

DACSoft wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 1:32 pm
ETA: While the cataloguing has been this way for a number of years, it appears that the .mp3 file-naming has changed to this method of authorship with the change to no longer requiring ID3 tags.

FWIW,
I'm sorry, Don. That was my error in the latest Baseball Joe cataloguing. You can name the .mp3 with _chadwick_ in the author position. I will change it back to chadwick on the Central League submission.
Bev

I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
Everybody's got a mountain to climb - Dickey Betts
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » November 30th, 2020, 11:00 am

Off topic but i personally like to use the 'house author' name or pseudonym.

I noticed that on one of my projects someone felt the need to leave reviews on several books in this series complaining that it was listed under a pseudonym when actually several people had a hand in the books. I think it might even have been speculation as ive never found info confirming it.

There's too much speculation sometimes over who authored a book so i personally just use whoever the copy i am reading from claims to be the author.

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » November 30th, 2020, 11:16 am

No worries Bev,

I actually raised the whole question of actual author names vs. pseudonym and house names in LV cataloguing way back in 2013, when working on my first Baseball Joe project (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=48354). The last post in that thread summarized fairly well their thought process, and how to handle names, although I'm still not convinced (to this day) that cataloguing by actual author's name, with search capabilities under other names, is the best method, as the Stratemeyer Syndicate's example clearly shows.

IMHO,
Don

Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia » November 30th, 2020, 11:57 am

Thanks for pointing me at that thread. I hadn't seen it. :)
Bev

I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
Everybody's got a mountain to climb - Dickey Betts
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart