Microphone Opinion

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KimL

Post by KimL » February 3rd, 2021, 8:52 am

I'm wondering if I could enlist anyone to listen to one of my recordings and give your opinion of the microphone I have? The mic. is a Tonor TC30. It is pretty inexpensive. I am wondering how the audio quality might compare to that of a Blue Yeti or Snowball or something else.

Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/spokeneastervigil_07_kjv_128kb.mp3

schrm

Post by schrm » February 3rd, 2021, 10:10 am

is that recording unedited or edited?
i am no expert, i am even hearing disabled for some percentages, but..
there are some thumbs of rule, which are void for most mics, i think.
- real experts and artists are able to hear difference in the highest end areas
- for other it is more like: the better you edit, the less differences you can hear - until a certain level of quality.
- cheap bad mics make editing harder (also copypasting single words or sentences will sound differently) and you even have to learn more about some tech specs - in case you want good qualty.
- most cheap mics do the job perfectly, the compression of a mp3 is softening much of the problems and...
as long as it sounds nice to listen to, we are all happy, aren't we?

to your recording as is:
- i think you are very well to understand
- it sounds nice and natural, but i don't know your voice
- there is not much of a tinny sound or damped sound, but i hear some clarity and something like a sort of wadded tone quality (most times, when listening to youtuber who speak about mics, i hear the exact opposite of them, though!). that can be very good,or according to others it may be rather unbalanced, and the third group of people think that that is maybe even bad...

i want to ask you back: do you like the tone and results?
is it easy to deliver that recording-quality?
do you have to edit tech specs, noise and so on, before you can work on the text and recording itself?

and just to write it in a very clear and precise manner:
in case you get these results with the mic without any edits, checker and me give you not only a pl ok, but i recommend to enjoying reading a lot and using your mic as is.

ps: i don't have a snowball yeti or whatever, i used a ten euro tonor mic (the cheapest around then) and then i changed to a rather expensive mic set combo, which i love.
you can hear the difference clearly, much more changing in the tone was going on compared with your tonor.
but...it wasn't that bad, either! the ten euro were perfect, and i learned a lot!
and listening to other users files, i sometimes doubt, that another mic was that necessary.
en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe
de: sammlung prosa, hoffmann*2: sommerfrische, tante fritzchen
dpl: hoffmann*2
solo: na prost!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » February 3rd, 2021, 3:07 pm

KimL wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 8:52 am
I'm wondering if I could enlist anyone to listen to one of my recordings and give your opinion of the microphone I have? The mic. is a Tonor TC30. It is pretty inexpensive. I am wondering how the audio quality might compare to that of a Blue Yeti or Snowball or something else.

Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/spokeneastervigil_07_kjv_128kb.mp3
I think this is a nice sound. I would not spend money on something fancy without trying a few things first. Then again, these things may not be the sound you are looking for.

I might first suggest getting a bit closer to the mic, about the 7 inches or so, and then speak more softly. You might get a little warmer tone this way.

Other things can be done with your editing program, but I myself try to stay away from this. I do use noise reduction to probably too great an extent, and I don't know how that affects my sound. I do know one can clean too 'hard' and the sound really falls apart.

KimL

Post by KimL » February 4th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Thank you for the replies!! I appreciate it and will work with a few things on this mic to see if I can change the tone a bit.

Thanks!!!
Kim