What's a Book You Wish Was in the Public Domain?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 » May 5th, 2021, 7:05 pm

lethargilistic wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 4:19 pm
I think copyright, if it exists, should last no longer than 10 years. So that's a lot of books, haha.
Oh yes! 10 would be ideal, but authors do have to make a living. It should be 50 at the most. But 96... :shock:
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Check out these projects:
Understood Betsy(Dramatic Reading)
Works of the Right Hon. Edmund Burke
DR scene & story collection, vol.3

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » May 5th, 2021, 8:07 pm

I looked through the thread, and I did not see The Black Stallion (1941)! Now that one would be great to record!

ETA: The whole series would fit into this dream world! :9: Well, except for the 1983 book.
Ann

Semper ubi sub ubi!

lethargilistic

Post by lethargilistic » May 5th, 2021, 11:07 pm

Bookworm360 wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 7:05 pm
lethargilistic wrote:
I think copyright, if it exists, should last no longer than 10 years. So that's a lot of books, haha.
Oh yes! 10 would be ideal, but authors do have to make a living. It should be 50 at the most. But 96... :shock:
Well, the long and short of it for me is that, no, authors should not need copyright in order to make a living. And even if they somehow did, why would a government create a branch of law ostensibly in order to create a living for this specific, special group of worker? It would be far better to treat all workers the same by guaranteeing everyone a right to possess the means to live. In practice, by separating artists from other kinds of workers, copyright creates a wedge that separates authors from other kinds of workers and makes general labor reform less likely. But, blah blah blah, copyright scholar, amirite? :p
Mike

Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 » May 6th, 2021, 5:53 am

lethargilistic wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 11:07 pm
Bookworm360 wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 7:05 pm
lethargilistic wrote:
Well, the long and short of it for me is that, no, authors should not need copyright in order to make a living. And even if they somehow did, why would a government create a branch of law ostensibly in order to create a living for this specific, special group of worker? It would be far better to treat all workers the same by guaranteeing everyone a right to possess the means to live. In practice, by separating artists from other kinds of workers, copyright creates a wedge that separates authors from other kinds of workers and makes general labor reform less likely. But, blah blah blah, copyright scholar, amirite? :p
No, just a hopeful future author.😁
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Check out these projects:
Understood Betsy(Dramatic Reading)
Works of the Right Hon. Edmund Burke
DR scene & story collection, vol.3