Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » March 18th, 2019, 8:39 am

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Such a shame that the source of the story you were reading wasn’t a serialisation in The Strand magazine over several issues. Then you could’ve justified the change in voice by briefly straying into THIS story at the appropriate juncture:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/44113/44113-h/44113-h.htm#Page_97

Chris

Thanks for that link -- in idly following it and looking over the rest of that Strand issue, I found a really fun piece to read for the current NF collection (Trousers in Statues!!)

Colleen

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » March 18th, 2019, 2:33 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 7:59 am

Edit to add: Oh, and I just went back to listen and edit the bit I was recording yesterday and had forgotten the part where my elderly chihuahua mix has a lovely hacking gagging cough that kicks up periodically, and you can clearly hear her (from the next room!) in one of the segments I thought was salvageable.... :roll:

Colleen
Oh my gosh! That's so funny! :lol: That actually made me laugh, hard :lol: My cat decided to perch himself right next to me once when I was recording and burst into a sneezing fit that lasted several minutes. I paused the recording to take him out of the room, but he came right back and kept sneezing...and the sound was embedded into the soundwaves and eventually ended up as a PL note: 'unidentifiable background noise' haha :lol:
TriciaG wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 6:19 pm
Don't you hate when, on page 154 of your solo, you read:

"It was Mrs. Smith's clear, quiet voice that broke in upon the almost painful hush...."

And you've given Mrs. Smith (an old lady) a creaky voice throughout the book? :shock:

Sorry, Ms. Authoress - I will not redo the voice because you waited until the book was half over to tell me that she had a clear voice! :lol:
That made me laugh too! I don't think the author was considering that you might pick her book for a Solo on LibriVox! :lol:

I love this thread, it shows that everyone makes mistakes...sometimes very funny ones. :wink:
~Rachel
~John 3:16
Want DRs? Elijah, Campbell and I have got you covered! Next DR coming soon!

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 23rd, 2019, 4:43 pm

...when you get 15 minutes into a recording for a group project before realizing that the Duke and the Prince are the same person, when you have given them conflicting voices thus far :evil:
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » April 18th, 2019, 6:15 pm

If that [many obscenities redacted] up the block doesn't stop honking their horn -- jeez buddy GO KNOCK ON THE DOOR!!

[sorry had to vent]

Colleen

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 10th, 2019, 4:36 pm

when you sit down in a few extra minutes to record and promptly get the hiccups
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » May 11th, 2019, 3:58 pm

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:36 pm
when you sit down in a few extra minutes to record and promptly get the hiccups
Oh my gosh that's awful!! :lol:
I know there's a ton of ways to cure hiccups, but I like to exhale really hard, then gulp a bunch of water and hold my breath after swallowing. It usually works. :wink: :lol:
~Rachel

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » May 11th, 2019, 4:36 pm

When I was about 4years old, my rather strong-minded Grandmother and I were walking to church and I got hiccups. She assured me "hiccups were just a matter of self control". I was sufficiently impressed to stop, so maybe they are :D.

Anne

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » May 11th, 2019, 4:39 pm

annise wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 4:36 pm
When I was about 4years old, my rather strong-minded Grandmother and I were walking to church and I got hiccups. She assured me "hiccups were just a matter of self control". I was sufficiently impressed to stop, so maybe they are :D.

Anne
Interesting!
Strange. Sometimes I try for hours and they just won't go away. Annoying.
Thanks for telling me that, though, I'll try that! :D
~Rachel

cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 » May 16th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Foon wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 5:45 am
... when you snap your fingers to mark a stumble in your recording, only to realise you were not recording and actually having a conversation with another human being? :lol: :oops:
I’ve don’t that but I clap twice so it’s very noticeable :roll: Just imagine chatting with someone and them clapping loudly in your face twice. It’s very humiliating to say the least! (And completely hilarious when recalling the incident)
~Luke Castle
Due to school I am much busier then in the summer. Please bear with me as I work through my PL backlog.

Projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 » May 29th, 2019, 9:53 am

When you get out of your both and find out that your computer had generated a error message and had only recorded 10 min of your 1:30 hour section! :shock: :roll: :cry: :evil: :twisted:
~Luke Castle
Due to school I am much busier then in the summer. Please bear with me as I work through my PL backlog.

Bealby

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » May 29th, 2019, 10:00 am

cowguy02 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 9:53 am
When you get out of your both and find out that your computer had generated a error message and had only recorded 10 min of your 1:30 hour section! :shock: :roll: :cry: :evil: :twisted:
Soo true, although... 1 hr 30 mins? :shock: In ONE sitting?
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 » May 29th, 2019, 10:13 am

Piotrek81 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:00 am
cowguy02 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 9:53 am
Soo true, although... 1 hr 30 mins? :shock: In ONE sitting?
Yeah, I like to record a lot of chapters in one sitting so that they feel like one breath. I think it makes the story flow much better then if i do it a chapter at a time
~Luke Castle

Bealby

ej400

Post by ej400 » May 29th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Ouch. I have done something similar... but not 1 hour and a half. Sorry that happened to you.

Nedge

Post by Nedge » October 6th, 2019, 2:31 pm

...when you have a perfect day to record all day, but your neighbor decides to take a tree down and ALL YOU CAN HEAR is a chainsaw and a chipper?
Nan

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott