What Was Your First Ever Recording?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Breeze

Post by Breeze » May 22nd, 2016, 3:23 am

My first was a chapter in two parts from Historic Adventures: Tales from American History. It was about Lewis and Clark, I found it quite interesting. Don't listen to it. It's terrible. I actually had to re-read the first bit, because when I eventually got to editing it, it was so bad.
-Bria

Dramatic Readings of Bible passages

Some reason I decided to try to write fiction. And it sucked me far away from LibriVox into the world of writing, editing and blogging.
Click here to read about it.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » May 22nd, 2016, 5:02 am

I read a couple of chapters for Armadale by Wilkie Collins. I hadn't heard of him before, except for listening to (and enjoying) "A Woman in White."

I remember that I would edit about 10 minutes, then listen to that much, then start editing again for another 10 minutes. The thought of sitting down and editing a 20-30 minute section all in one go was quite daunting.

I also felt a bit at sea because I didn't recognize any of the authors on the readers wanted forum. Since then, I've learned that reading from books by people you have never heard of before is a wonderful way to find some interesting corners of the literary world that you might never have ventured into otherwise. With 3 pages of choices these days, surely there is something there to tickle your fancy!

MaryAnn

catrose

Post by catrose » May 22nd, 2016, 7:18 am

Would anyone be interested in a podcast of people's first/earliest recording?
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » May 22nd, 2016, 9:15 am

NO! :shock:

I mean, I'm happy to hear other people's first recording... :twisted:
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » May 22nd, 2016, 9:47 am

I had to look it up :) I think, my first librivox-recording was "For Dolly, who does not learn her lessons" by E. Nesbitt. I was the weekly poetry collection at the time I found LibriVox.
I had done some files for myself before, for learning more or less boring stuff :)
Why not make a podcast? I think it would be funny. As long as I don't need to listen to it... :twisted:

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle » May 27th, 2016, 4:48 pm

mine was not that long ago, and it's not in the catalogue yet-- Joseph H. Chant's poem "Niagara's Rainbow."
funnily enough, I get to go see Niagara Falls for the first time tomorrow, if all goes well with our traveling plans...
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » May 28th, 2016, 1:10 am

Chapter 93 of Varney, the Vampyre, Vol 2, by Thomas Peckett Prest was the first section I ever claimed. (And my first prose piece submitted.)

However the first sections I ever submitted were The Destruction of Sennacherib by Lord Byron and Happy the Man by John Dryden in Short Poetry Collection 76.

The first section of mine that was catalogued was in the Fortnightly Poem, To the Old Pagan Religion, by Lovecraft.

My first dramatic role was Juno in the Tempest. However my second dramatic role was the Fairy in Cinderella by George Calderon. I did it in my first week or two back in 2009. It was finally released at the end of 2015! That's actually on my 'to listen' list, as it's been so long, I want to know what I sounded like.
So little space, so much to say.

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » May 28th, 2016, 1:17 am

Lucy_k_p wrote: However my second dramatic role was the Fairy in Cinderella by George Calderon. I did it in my first week or two back in 2009. It was finally released at the end of 2015!
It was in the works for 6 years? :shock: Or was it abandoned and then re-adopted?
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » May 28th, 2016, 1:51 am

It was on hold for a long while because one of the roles was partly read by Icyjumbo, who died before completing it, and the admins were trying to decide what to do. Then, I think, there was trouble finding PD versions of the songs.
So little space, so much to say.

ej400

Post by ej400 » May 29th, 2016, 3:50 pm

catrose wrote:Would anyone be interested in a podcast of people's first/earliest recording?
Yes!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 29th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Section 164 in "The Lincoln Story Book" https://librivox.org/the-lincoln-story-book-by-henry-l-williams/

Bad mic, read it slowly and enunciated every word. :)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Report of the President's Commission on Immigration and Naturalization (1953)
Working the polls Monday, Oct 21, all day and night. Canadians: go vote!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » May 29th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Why Cat ? Most people improve , it might be useful as an "in house" encouragement - or it might not be. We have everyone from people who have never used a microphone or a computer to people who have made their living as voice - over people join, it would be somewhat discouraging for one of the first group to hear one of the second .
And we certainly wouldn't want it put outside .
We want readers to look forward not backwards

Anne

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » May 29th, 2016, 9:37 pm

catrose wrote:Would anyone be interested in a podcast of people's first/earliest recording?
No. I think most people who have recorded a significant amount have also improved a significant amount! I think it would be rather embarrassing and kind of pointless. There is also the angle that it might look like we "make fun" of people - never a good look for a volunteer community.

bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily » May 29th, 2016, 11:46 pm

I'm still relatively new--my first group project was only catalogued yesterday--but for what they're worth, here are my two cents. I've actually listened to several of those first recordings, especially those by less experienced readers who have not been doing voice-related work all their lives, and they weren't nearly as slow/stumbling/poor quality as what the narrators themselves believed them to be. Really, many of them were quite good. I'm not saying that a podcast of first recordings as necessarily a project we need to undertake just yet, but there may be a place for it in the future. If we do it right--emphasizing the good points of those first recordings, and using them to illustrate that we're all our own worst critics at times, then we might actually be able to encourage people who are thinking about becoming first-time volunteers. I think it all depends on how we present first recordings--but the idea itself isn't a bad one at all.
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 30th, 2016, 5:44 am

IF someone were to do such a podcast, they should only use recordings with permission from the reader.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Report of the President's Commission on Immigration and Naturalization (1953)
Working the polls Monday, Oct 21, all day and night. Canadians: go vote!