Annoying words

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
realisticspeakers
Posts: 1812
Joined: December 6th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Post by realisticspeakers » December 15th, 2019, 9:47 pm

LikeManyWaters wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 6:30 pm
derisive vituperation
Been there. Done that.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."

LikeManyWaters
Posts: 756
Joined: January 15th, 2018, 2:50 pm
Location: Arizona

Post by LikeManyWaters » January 23rd, 2020, 12:02 pm

currently disgusted with:

Complimentarily
April

“He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,
and your justice as the noonday.” 
– Psalm 37:6

JT68
Posts: 65
Joined: January 9th, 2020, 1:57 pm
Location: South Texas, USA

Post by JT68 » February 23rd, 2020, 10:01 pm

Hither and Thither.

Run across these two a lot in these works. May have been the writing style for the time, in vogue, blah blah blah....here and there are much less tongue twisty :lol:

Try saying this a few times fast:

Hither and Thither they thronged.

Had that in a chapter, went bananas getting it.

Ill not go into the run-on sentences...OI!!

ColleenMc
Posts: 2173
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » September 13th, 2020, 9:49 am

indefatigable and indefatigably....argh!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

JayKitty76
Posts: 2221
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: ravenclaw tower, hogwarts
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » September 14th, 2020, 3:32 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 9:49 am
indefatigable and indefatigably....argh!

Colleen
I can't even say that in my mind :lol: :help: It's something about these old books, they use really rich vocabulary that sadly has dropped out of modern use. I love the eloquence of like 19th century language, though, there's this beautiful flow to it (like Charles Dickens and Louisa May Alcott) that modern writers don't often have...

Bookworm360
Posts: 490
Joined: December 25th, 2017, 11:23 pm
Location: Royal Palace, Spritiworld

Post by Bookworm360 » September 17th, 2020, 6:16 pm

JayKitty76 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 3:32 pm
ColleenMc wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 9:49 am
indefatigable and indefatigably....argh!

Colleen
I can't even say that in my mind :lol: :help: It's something about these old books, they use really rich vocabulary that sadly has dropped out of modern use. I love the eloquence of like 19th century language, though, there's this beautiful flow to it (like Charles Dickens and Louisa May Alcott) that modern writers don't often have...
You should talk to me! Old books are pretty much all I read, so my vocabulary is likewise antiquated. And I have the sneaking suspicion that some people have no idea what I’m saying... :lol: probably a common LibriVoxer problem.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Check out these projects:
Understood Betsy(Dramatic Reading)
Works of the Right Hon. Edmund Burke
DR scene & story collection, vol.3 (PL Wanted)

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7811
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » September 17th, 2020, 7:00 pm

I have that problem, too. Sometimes I have to stop and ask myself how people say the thing I'm trying to say nowadays. Sometimes I forget to ask myself that, and then I use words that don't mean quite what they used to in ways they're no longer used. And then people give me weird looks.

SonOfTheExiles
Posts: 2425
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 1:14 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by SonOfTheExiles » September 18th, 2020, 3:12 am

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 12:01 pm
'Often' gets me every time! Don't quite know what to do with the t.
Can’t believe no-one’s posted this G&S dialogue extract yet...

General. (aside) Hah! an idea! (aloud) And do you mean to say that you would deliberately rob me of these, the sole remaining props of my old age, and leave me to go through the remainder of my life unfriended, unprotected, and alone?

King. Well, yes, that’s the idea.

General. Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?

Pirates. (disgusted) Oh, dash it all!

King. Here we are again!

General. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?

King. Often!

General. Yes, orphan. Have you ever known what it is to be one?

King. I say, often.

Pirates. (disgusted) Often, often, often. (Turning away)

General. I don’t think we quite understand one another. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan, and you say “orphan”. As I understand you, you are merely repeating the word “orphan” to show that you understand me.

King. I didn’t repeat the word often.

General. Pardon me, you did indeed.

King. I only repeated it once.

General. True, but you repeated it.

King. But not often.

General. Stop! I think I see where we are getting confused. When you said “orphan”, did you mean “orphan” – a person who has lost his parents, or “often”, frequently?

King. Ah! I beg pardon – I see what you mean – frequently.

General. Ah! you said "often", frequently.

King. No, only once.

General. (irritated) Exactly – you said “often”, frequently, only once.



Cheers,
Chris

P.S. I put it to the Australians on the forums that Jon English was the best Pirate King ever.
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."

Come and assist Doctor Pangloss instruct the Baron in the proper use of his conjugals and declensions in our new play "The Heir At Law"

lymiewithpurpose
Posts: 2184
Joined: January 18th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Post by lymiewithpurpose » September 18th, 2020, 7:27 am

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 3:12 am
lymiewithpurpose wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 12:01 pm
'Often' gets me every time! Don't quite know what to do with the t.
Can’t believe no-one’s posted this G&S dialogue extract yet...

General. (aside) Hah! an idea! (aloud) And do you mean to say that you would deliberately rob me of these, the sole remaining props of my old age, and leave me to go through the remainder of my life unfriended, unprotected, and alone?

King. Well, yes, that’s the idea.

General. Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?

Pirates. (disgusted) Oh, dash it all!

King. Here we are again!

General. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?

King. Often!

General. Yes, orphan. Have you ever known what it is to be one?

King. I say, often.

Pirates. (disgusted) Often, often, often. (Turning away)

General. I don’t think we quite understand one another. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan, and you say “orphan”. As I understand you, you are merely repeating the word “orphan” to show that you understand me.

King. I didn’t repeat the word often.

General. Pardon me, you did indeed.

King. I only repeated it once.

General. True, but you repeated it.

King. But not often.

General. Stop! I think I see where we are getting confused. When you said “orphan”, did you mean “orphan” – a person who has lost his parents, or “often”, frequently?

King. Ah! I beg pardon – I see what you mean – frequently.

General. Ah! you said "often", frequently.

King. No, only once.

General. (irritated) Exactly – you said “often”, frequently, only once.



Cheers,
Chris

P.S. I put it to the Australians on the forums that Jon English was the best Pirate King ever.
I forgot about this. Yes, this is a great one.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them

JayKitty76
Posts: 2221
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: ravenclaw tower, hogwarts
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » September 18th, 2020, 1:55 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 7:00 pm
Sometimes I forget to ask myself that, and then I use words that don't mean quite what they used to in ways they're no longer used. And then people give me weird looks.
Oh my goodness I do this all the time :oops: Sometimes I have to Google a word to make sure it's "okay" to use....When I was younger I used the word "gay" a lot, meaning happy, but without realizing its modern context :lol: :oops:

Scarbo
Posts: 510
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » September 18th, 2020, 4:20 pm

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 3:12 am
lymiewithpurpose wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 12:01 pm
'Often' gets me every time! Don't quite know what to do with the t.
Can’t believe no-one’s posted this G&S dialogue extract yet...

General. (aside) Hah! an idea! (aloud) And do you mean to say that you would deliberately rob me of these, the sole remaining props of my old age, and leave me to go through the remainder of my life unfriended, unprotected, and alone?

King. Well, yes, that’s the idea.

General. Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?

Pirates. (disgusted) Oh, dash it all!

King. Here we are again!

General. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?

King. Often!

General. Yes, orphan. Have you ever known what it is to be one?

King. I say, often.

Pirates. (disgusted) Often, often, often. (Turning away)

General. I don’t think we quite understand one another. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan, and you say “orphan”. As I understand you, you are merely repeating the word “orphan” to show that you understand me.

King. I didn’t repeat the word often.

General. Pardon me, you did indeed.

King. I only repeated it once.

General. True, but you repeated it.

King. But not often.

General. Stop! I think I see where we are getting confused. When you said “orphan”, did you mean “orphan” – a person who has lost his parents, or “often”, frequently?

King. Ah! I beg pardon – I see what you mean – frequently.

General. Ah! you said "often", frequently.

King. No, only once.

General. (irritated) Exactly – you said “often”, frequently, only once.



Cheers,
Chris

P.S. I put it to the Australians on the forums that Jon English was the best Pirate King ever.
I love that scene! I remember that when I was in a G&S revue in high school, the guy playing the Pirate King would say "oftten," and the choir director had to instruct him to say "offen" (and not to use a rhotic R in "orphan") so that the joke would work.

SonOfTheExiles
Posts: 2425
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 1:14 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by SonOfTheExiles » September 18th, 2020, 6:47 pm

Sometimes when the lines in an old hymn don't rhyme, if you observe the hymnwriter's surname and make the appropriate British regional accent adjustment, suddenly they do.

Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."

Come and assist Doctor Pangloss instruct the Baron in the proper use of his conjugals and declensions in our new play "The Heir At Law"

Monaxi
Posts: 1379
Joined: April 30th, 2013, 7:34 pm
Location: Under a train bridge in NYC

Post by Monaxi » October 4th, 2020, 8:45 am

My first solo required me to learn nearly every form of "calumny" and "superfluous."

Still tricky for me: "wickednesses", "corporealousness" and "dignity." And, of course, "peculiarly."
Peace be with you,
Sister

realisticspeakers
Posts: 1812
Joined: December 6th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Post by realisticspeakers » October 4th, 2020, 9:24 am

Monaxi wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 8:45 am
And, of course, "peculiarly."
eww
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."

ColleenMc
Posts: 2173
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » October 4th, 2020, 9:36 am

Differentiating audibly between "tortuous" and "torturous" is, well, the second one.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

Post Reply