Annoying words

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » July 8th, 2019, 12:29 pm

KevinS wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 11:09 am
realisticspeakers wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 8:43 am
verycherrey wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 10:11 pm
Tertiary or any other five-dollar word.

“Don't use a five-dollar word when a fifty-cent word will do.”

― Mark Twain
I think that after secondary, tertiary is perfectly cromulent. It's quaternary that resounds superfluous.
Am I correct in saying that at 5 in the afternoon in the tropics everything is quininary?
Your postulation, as usual, results in an affirmative nod, unless of course, in the Congo-Nigerian linguistic regions where the number system is senary.
"Kind reader,
if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."

verycherrey

Post by verycherrey » July 8th, 2019, 6:19 pm

realisticspeakers wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 12:29 pm
KevinS wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 11:09 am
realisticspeakers wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 8:43 am

I think that after secondary, tertiary is perfectly cromulent. It's quaternary that resounds superfluous.
Am I correct in saying that at 5 in the afternoon in the tropics everything is quininary?
Your postulation, as usual, results in an affirmative nod, unless of course, in the Congo-Nigerian linguistic regions where the number system is senary.
Yer Killin' me! :lol:
A hundred times a day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the measure as I have received and am still receiving.

-Albert Einstein