[Not LV] 'Posh Brit Chick' and 'Canny Scot's Lad' required for Audiobook project

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » June 8th, 2019, 7:17 am

Hi!

I’m hoping to create an audiobook of my Fan Fiction Doctor Who novel, ‘Forgotten Suns’.

First let me emphasise that there is no money involved – no copyright infringement is intended. The intro will read:

‘Doctor Who is copyright the British Broadcasting Corporation. This free audiobook is a non-profit fan presentation of ‘Doctor Who: Forgotten Suns’, by Andrew Nixon.
Read by the author, with (your name here,) as Zoe Herriot, and (your name here,) as Jamie McCrimmon.’

If it pans out, I hope to make it freely available online.

I originally intended to just read the whole thing myself, but I’m basically incapable of doing a convincing* female voice, and ma Scot’s accent also lacks a certain something. (Like, for example, any trace of a Scot’s accent!) :lol:

If at all interested, you can read the full story online here:

https://www.quotev.com/story/10722077/Doctor-Who-Forgotten-Suns/1

Or here is a link to the Prologue as a Google Doc. (I only highlighted the Doctor’s lines to differentiate them from the narrative – the role isn’t actually on offer. Sorry!)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cBoOEeP5eUC_ZRlagZP0TGoH8GTK4OJUujEixzja7yk/edit

I have yet to figure out the logistics of exchanging/sharing audio files outside of Librivox, but if there are any interested parties, we can figure that out, as and when.

(I hope that this post is acceptable to Librivox admin, but if I am breaking any rules, please don’t ban me. Just delete the post! :wink: )

*Monty Python is about my skill level! “Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam…”
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » June 8th, 2019, 11:19 am

I'm neither/naether Brit nor Scots, but I wish you/ye the best!

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » June 8th, 2019, 4:23 pm

mightyfelix (Cool, COOL name!) :wink:

And now for something completely different...

Er... A freind has pointed out to me that I did not share Google Docs correctly.

Would someone be kind enough to check the link for me? (And - I know that
this is asking a lot on a first date - but if it doesn't work...

Could you tell me how to fix it? :help: )
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 8th, 2019, 4:56 pm

The link worked for me. I don't see any need for you to "fix" anything about it.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » June 8th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Cool! Ta for the info!

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » June 11th, 2019, 6:08 am

I suggest using "box" (box.com) for transferring audio files. MP3 and I think FLAC are both supported. FileTransfer may also work, but I haven't used that one myself.

Archive of Our Own hosts podcasts and fan fiction, so you might like to post the finished product there - you can post the story in text form there as well, so you'd start with TWO works!

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » June 11th, 2019, 6:35 am

Thanks Elizabby! :)

I'm already on 'Archive of OUr Own', as Mr. Flibble! :wink:

(I shamelessly post my stories on as many sites as I can find - in the hope that somebody might actually read them!
That's pretty much why I thought that an audio version may prove more popular!)

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » June 11th, 2019, 10:01 am

Er... That is actually Mr_Flibble - should anyone be inclined to do a search! :roll:

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 2nd, 2019, 9:18 am

Hello Everybodypepes!

I have belatedly realized that - as it was first presented - this may seem like a lot of work for little personal gain.
(Particularly if you are not a Doctor Who fan! I am led to beleive that such individuals do exist! :lol:)

Any road up, I have been working through google docs to try to clarify the story, and noticed that Zoe and Jamie - although
essential core characters - don't really have that many lines - in the context of the story length itself.

This is simply an artifact of the way that I wrote the story, (I had my reasons,) but I just wondered if anyone may be slightly
keener to participate if I gave a few examples.

There are actually entire chapters where Jamie and Zoe do not appear at all, and others where they only have a few lines.

What I thought I could do is - instead of presenting one huge document - I would break it down into Chapters.

Hopefully this will prove less daunting, particularly when you need to scroll down through an entire Chapter to find the one line that either
of our heroes provide.

With this in mind, I greyed out the 'irrelavent' text wherever possible, so that one only needs to read it if that is the preference.

Here are a few examples to look at, to get an idea of just what the heck I am talking about!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wctHDjbXPK-_1R05jMF3fQkdNHc90oLIL1V6fXj8xpY/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EKfsQIu2KKMEMv6zUcVG10FUA1w3kuPrkNTGzBC2xww/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vX-fM5OomoeP5IX50ONUvAO6_i8zlq3eLsE8hqHAMAs/edit

I haven't actually managed to do a character specific word count, but I should imagine that Zoe and Jamie don't actually have more than 4 or 5 thousand words between them.

I will do the other 125,000 words myself. (Only fair - it's my story, after all!)

Well, can't really say much more at the mo', other than to thank you for taking the time to read this garbage! :wink:

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » July 2nd, 2019, 3:01 pm

I tried to send you a message about this already but I think my computer ate it - you need to set your google docs to sharing so we can see them. At the moment nobody else can see them at all! You can either go “public” or just use “anyone with the link can view”. Then the links will work (no need to repost them).

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 2nd, 2019, 3:03 pm

Cheers Matey!

Appreciate the help! :D

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 2nd, 2019, 4:01 pm

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » July 2nd, 2019, 4:07 pm

I can read the docs, but the first one appears to have some mistakes in it - the person speaking in green is clearly speaking TO Jay-mee...

Also, does this mean that you as the narrator will also be reading all the other characters apart from Zoe and Jamie?

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 2nd, 2019, 4:28 pm

Er... Yeah.

That has always been my plan. I didn't think it would be fair to ask too many folks to volunteer their
time without any chance of remuneration, and also one of the underlying factors of the story
is that (spoiler alert!) our heroes are unable to tell male and female Oortrelians apart - other than from
sheer physical size, which cannot always be a clear indication.

This is pretty much the point of the whole story, so I figured that it would make sense if the Oortelians
also sounded quite similar - regardless of sex! :wink:

I'm not sure what mistakes you are referring to, although I have absolutely no doubt that I have made many!
If you could clarify the matter, I shall do my best to correct it.

(I really appreciate your taking the time to share your advice - I'm not trying to be funny - I mean it! :) )

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » July 3rd, 2019, 1:49 am

The first linked document which seems to be Ch 14, the third green highlighted section does not appear to be Jamie speaking, though in his colour.

The other thing you dare going to need is a reliable way of exchanging sound files, since this isn’t an LV project you can’t use the uploader and server here. Have you sorted this out? No point asking for people to send you recordings if you have no way to receive them! Sound files are often too big for regular email.

And do you plan to record and edit all the narration yourself? That will be the biggest job. Most people start by editing a short story or chapter from a book for the DR Scene and Story collection - Part of the point of that collection is to allow budding editors to cut their teeth on a smaller project than a full length book!