[Not LV] 'Posh Brit Chick' and 'Canny Scot's Lad' required for Audiobook project

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 3rd, 2019, 3:11 am

Thanks Elizabby! I shall sort that out soonest.

I also appreciate the advice on recording shorter works, and totally agree.

As it happens, I have four stories on Lynett's 'Short Stories 80' anthology*, (Hope do do more for '81'!) and I am
currently doing a solo read of 'The War of the Worlds'. (Only 8 chapters to go!)

Doing that has been a real learning experience. The ealier chapters have a lot of peculiar audio artifacts
that I am not happy with - and my pacing is very erratic - but I seem to be having more success with Book Two!

In addition, I have been enjoying reading bits for the 'Dramatic Readings' section. (it's great fun! :wink:)

Anyway, all help gratefully received, many thanks!

*If you listen to my reading of 'In the Avu Observatory' by H. G. Wells - the first file
in this collection - you may get a better understanding of why I am unable to voice 'Zoe' myself! :lol:
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 3rd, 2019, 3:55 am

Oh, nearly forgot!

Your point about sharing files is well made.

I had originally thought that I might be able to use the 'cloud' file storage provided
by my email, but apparently it is full. (Even though I don't have any files in it!)

I looked into online storage, but those I have found so far are too expensive on my disability allowance.
(I have been unable to work since my cerebral haemorrhage.)

Still, I'll keep searching! 8-)
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 3rd, 2019, 4:35 am

Maybe you could use something like dropbox - I've never submitted things but I've had files sent to me - they sent me a link and I downloaded it. Seemed simple enough.

Anne

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » July 3rd, 2019, 5:46 am

Agree with annise - you don’t need storage, just a file transfer process. I use Dropbox myself because it’s free, there’s also File transfer facilities, someone sent me a file once but I’ve never sent anything this way. I think it was called FileTransferMe or something like that. You just email a link and the recipient downloads the file, same as Dropbox.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » July 3rd, 2019, 5:53 am

I use wetransfer to get (large) audiofiles across the internet.

It's free and very easy to use; you can either directly send an email to the recipient (or more people) or you get a download link. Links are valid for one week only though (in the free version), but that was never a problem.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 3rd, 2019, 6:41 am

Thanks all!

I am a little wary of dropbox, as I had a very unpleasant experience with them when I bought my new laptop.

One of the preinstalled 'offers' was a 'free' 20 gB dropbox trial - free for one year.

Two weeks later, after I had uploaded less than a gig of files, they started demanding that I upgrade
(for 8 quid a month,) to the full version...

(Not to mention that I was unable to store further files, because that free 20 gB had been used up - apparently...)

However, I shall definately look into those other suggestions!

Thank you! :D

verycherrey

Post by verycherrey » July 7th, 2019, 12:27 am

johnnyenglish wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 7:17 am
Hi!

I’m hoping to create an audiobook of my Fan Fiction Doctor Who novel, ‘Forgotten Suns’.

First let me emphasise that there is no money involved – no copyright infringement is intended. The intro will read:

‘Doctor Who is copyright the British Broadcasting Corporation. This free audiobook is a non-profit fan presentation of ‘Doctor Who: Forgotten Suns’, by Andrew Nixon.
Read by the author, with (your name here,) as Zoe Herriot, and (your name here,) as Jamie McCrimmon.’

If it pans out, I hope to make it freely available online.

I originally intended to just read the whole thing myself, but I’m basically incapable of doing a convincing* female voice, and ma Scot’s accent also lacks a certain something. (Like, for example, any trace of a Scot’s accent!) :lol:

If at all interested, you can read the full story online here:

https://www.quotev.com/story/10722077/Doctor-Who-Forgotten-Suns/1

Or here is a link to the Prologue as a Google Doc. (I only highlighted the Doctor’s lines to differentiate them from the narrative – the role isn’t actually on offer. Sorry!)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cBoOEeP5eUC_ZRlagZP0TGoH8GTK4OJUujEixzja7yk/edit

I have yet to figure out the logistics of exchanging/sharing audio files outside of Librivox, but if there are any interested parties, we can figure that out, as and when.

(I hope that this post is acceptable to Librivox admin, but if I am breaking any rules, please don’t ban me. Just delete the post! :wink: )

*Monty Python is about my skill level! “Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam…”
I have a silly idea but maybe you won't want to do this. I "think" its possible to put your own work in the public domain ... or at least wikipedia says you can. If this is true, then in theory couldn' t you post the work here and use the librivox resources to do the reading, file transfer ... etc.

Perhaps I'm mistaken? Here is a wiki I found on the subject ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Granting_work_into_the_public_domain
A hundred times a day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the measure as I have received and am still receiving.

-Albert Einstein

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 7th, 2019, 12:30 am

Yes - you are mistaken. LV will not accept work published after 1923 unless it is approved by Project Gutenberg or is a USA Government production.

Anne

verycherrey

Post by verycherrey » July 7th, 2019, 12:44 am

annise wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 12:30 am
Yes - you are mistaken. LV will not accept work published after 1923 unless it is approved by Project Gutenberg or is a USA Government production.

Anne
Thank you! What do you mean about USA Government production? I was wondering about this too.

So to be clear, if it ISN'T on gutenberg you can't read it?
A hundred times a day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the measure as I have received and am still receiving.

-Albert Einstein

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » July 7th, 2019, 3:26 am

verycherrey wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 12:44 am
So to be clear, if it ISN'T on gutenberg you can't read it?
No, what Anne meant is that if it IS published post-1923 and NOT on gutenberg, then you can't read it. Exceptions are few and far between.

And to address that one comment of yours from before:
verycherrey wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 12:27 am
If this is true, then in theory couldn' t you post the work here and use the librivox resources to do the reading, file transfer ... etc.
NO, we do not mooch resources off LibriVox for our own private pet projects, and NO it doesn't make a difference whether it's PD and you'll never see a single penny from it or if it'll make you a million five minutes after you put it online somewhere.

LibriVox resources are for LibriVox projects and nothing else.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » July 7th, 2019, 4:35 am

verycherrey wrote:
I "think" its possible to put your own work in the public domain ... or at least wikipedia says you can. If this is true, then in theory couldn' t you post the work here and use the librivox resources to do the reading, file transfer ... etc.

Perhaps I'm mistaken? Here is a wiki I found on the subject ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Granting_work_into_the_public_domain
There are actually two separate issues here:

1) yes, it is possible to give up your copyright rights and place your work directly into the public domain - this is exactly what we do as readers every time we upload a file to Librivox!

2) but placing your book in the PD doesn't therefore make it suitable as a Librivox project. We don't do self-publishing. And has been mentioned above, Librivox resources are only for Librivox projects, which essentially means conventionally published prior to 1923. There are some exceptions, but self-published books isn't one of them. You pretty much have to be dead to get your stuff on LV - Andrew, just to be clear, that's not a suggestion! :shock:

Here's the LV policy on this: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies

verycherrey

Post by verycherrey » July 7th, 2019, 9:37 am

Availle wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 3:26 am

NO, we do not mooch resources off LibriVox for our own private pet projects, and NO it doesn't make a difference whether it's PD and you'll never see a single penny from it or if it'll make you a million five minutes after you put it online somewhere.

LibriVox resources are for LibriVox projects and nothing else.
Annise explained the issue very well! and further research led me to the FAQ which also explains it well! I definitely understand and support the no self-publishing policy; self-publishing would bring all sorts of other animals into the mix ... Awww but Andrews story .... I thought it would make a nice addition to the Librivox collections!

-Albert Einstein

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 7th, 2019, 10:16 am

Thanks for the compliment, verycherry, but your'e correct - LibriVox is not the place for new stories.

There are plenty of other sites to post to, my only concern was how to share files. But many suggestions have been made in this
thread, which I shall look into if it ever becomes necassary. (If I end up having to do the whole read myself - I won't need to worry
about sharing files! :wink: )