Mutual feedblack group

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
eakahn

Post by eakahn » February 15th, 2020, 5:11 pm

I just started here and want to improve my reading but I'm not getting feedback. I imagine other people might be on the same boat. Is anyone interested in forming a group where we would give each other feedback on our readings?

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » February 15th, 2020, 5:23 pm

We do not allow unsolicited criticism on the forums, so please keep it this way.

What you can do is to ask for "constructive criticism" when you submit a section. You may want to specify what you're looking for like "do I read too fast? How's my inflection?" etc.

In general, be careful with criticism and what you do with it. What I personally may not like about your reading, other people may just love. I have never seen any reader who was universally loved or hated on here.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 15th, 2020, 5:50 pm

You could post a signature on your posts that says something like, "Please give me constructive criticism." That might help.

ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature
Hatfields & McCoys Sensationalist Account: An American Vendetta
Humor: Maxims of Methuselah about women

eakahn

Post by eakahn » February 15th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Availle wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 5:23 pm
We do not allow unsolicited criticism on the forums, so please keep it this way.

What you can do is to ask for "constructive criticism" when you submit a section. You may want to specify what you're looking for like "do I read too fast? How's my inflection?" etc.

In general, be careful with criticism and what you do with it. What I personally may not like about your reading, other people may just love. I have never seen any reader who was universally loved or hated on here.
thanks for clarifying that, but I think I made it pretty explicit I'm not talking about unsolicited anything here

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 15th, 2020, 6:47 pm

We can't stop you off-forum , but not in any of our forums. No one is really happy with the way their voice sounds - because it isn't the way we hear it in our head.
But we all improve with practice.
And don't improve if we try to please everyone.

Anne

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » February 15th, 2020, 9:31 pm

eakahn wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 5:11 pm
I just started here and want to improve my reading but I'm not getting feedback. I imagine other people might be on the same boat. Is anyone interested in forming a group where we would give each other feedback on our readings?
I don’t know what kind of feedback you’re looking for, but I’d like to give ‘feedback’ from a DPL’s perspective... :)

First of all, what Annise said:
Your DPL won’t know your personality off hand... For myself, I’m often afraid of giving too much criticism to the timid or not enough to the perfectionist. So I really like to know how much a reader wants.

If you have specific concerns, you can most likely find a discussion on it, or have an experienced reader help you out. But exchanging files as a group or various people listening to sections they aren’t assigned to PL would overload the server.

However, don’t worry! If your files were obviously lacking, your DPL would try to help figure out what’s wrong and assist you in correcting it. As it is, there’s a lot you can learn by browsing the forums, the wiki, and Phil’s videos. And most any experienced reader will be happy to share tips if you run into issues. Yes, it’ll take time and practice to get where you want to go, but stick in there and keep going! And don’t forget to enjoy the ride! :)
~Rosebud

My DPL List

KevinS

Post by KevinS » February 16th, 2020, 7:49 am

eakahn wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 5:11 pm
I'll be happy to share some observations with you if you wish. Off-line, of course. If you'd like, you might record a section of Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints or another project for which I am BC and then I can listen to you. I only give constructive criticism.

What others have written here is largely true. We all have our own preferences, don't we? If you know of the so-called Three Tenors, I will tell you that I have never cared for Carreras's voice. Clearly it's not bad, but I just don't listen. There is something in it that I don't care for. Quite illogical I suppose, but true for me.

And don't get me started on Josh Groban...

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 16th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Josh Groban?? *swoon*
Hatfields & McCoys Sensationalist Account: An American Vendetta
Humor: Maxims of Methuselah about women

KevinS

Post by KevinS » February 16th, 2020, 4:56 pm

TriciaG wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 4:01 pm
Josh Groban?? *swoon*
Hahaha!

lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover » February 17th, 2020, 10:49 am

Who the hell is Josh Groban?????

And you are right about that tenor - hopeless! Bernstein could not stand him in WS Story in the recording studio.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » February 17th, 2020, 12:08 pm

lurcherlover wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 10:49 am
Bernstein could not stand him in WS Story in the recording studio.
Yes, it was videotaped, too. Hard to watch.

lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover » February 17th, 2020, 2:44 pm

KevinS wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 12:08 pm
lurcherlover wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 10:49 am
Bernstein could not stand him in WS Story in the recording studio.
Only one of the Three Tenors was great and it was not him or Pavarotti in my opinion. (I worked with Pavarotti in opera recording, and well, that's my opinion which was witnessed first hand).

lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover » February 17th, 2020, 2:45 pm

x
Last edited by lurcherlover on February 17th, 2020, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover » February 17th, 2020, 2:48 pm

KevinS wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Only one of the Three Tenors was great and it was not him or Pavarotti in my opinion. (I worked with Pavarotti in opera recording, and well, that's my opinion which was witnessed first hand).

I still do not know who Josh Groban was/is?

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » February 17th, 2020, 3:01 pm

What can I say, those Tenors were labouring under a disability.

They’re not Welsh.

Me, I’d sooner listen to Katherine Jenkins. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=el38Xr2l9UE

Cheers,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."