Katherine MacLean « Games » 1953 copyright help & contact

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JabReunionIsland

Post by JabReunionIsland » March 16th, 2020, 11:57 pm

I am a young french cinematographer, living in Reunion Island

And i want to adapt a short novel from Katherine MacLean « Games » 1953

But i don’t know how to do with copyright, if someone could help me, or give me a contact?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » March 17th, 2020, 2:46 am

The story is available on Project Gutenberg who do check carefully before they release it to ensure it is in the public domain in the USA
But as she died in 2019, it's almost certainly not PD in any other country.

Anne

CSCO

Post by CSCO » March 17th, 2020, 9:50 am

If I were you, I would send an e-mail to the auther's publisher and I would ask for a help.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!

ej400

Post by ej400 » March 17th, 2020, 1:16 pm

CSCO wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 9:50 am
If I were you, I would send an e-mail to the auther's publisher and I would ask for a help.
I probably wouldn't do that because requesting to read an audiobook for them that's probably not PD would be a certain NO. And that would probably make them wonder a bit. I mean, people probably email them all the time about that, but it's pretty simple for us to figure things out: if it's not PD, or we are unsure if it is, we can't read it. It's gotta be PD.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 17th, 2020, 1:21 pm

JabReunionIsland wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 11:57 pm

But i don’t know how to do with copyright, if someone could help me, or give me a contact?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Do you want to make a LibriVox audio recording of this work? If so, it's out of copyright in the USA, but it's still under copyright FOR YOU because being on Reunion Island, you're under French law, not US law.

Are you wanting to do something else with it - like make it into a film? It's still under copyright for you. :)
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David

JabReunionIsland

Post by JabReunionIsland » March 17th, 2020, 10:56 pm

annise wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 2:46 am
The story is available on Project Gutenberg who do check carefully before they release it to ensure it is in the public domain in the USA
But as she died in 2019, it's almost certainly not PD in any other country.

Anne
Hello, sorry but what is "PD" ?

JabReunionIsland

Post by JabReunionIsland » March 17th, 2020, 11:03 pm

TriciaG wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 1:21 pm
JabReunionIsland wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 11:57 pm

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Do you want to make a LibriVox audio recording of this work? If so, it's out of copyright in the USA, but it's still under copyright FOR YOU because being on Reunion Island, you're under French law, not US law.

Are you wanting to do something else with it - like make it into a film? It's still under copyright for you. :)
Hello, yes, I want make it into a film and i desperately want to contact her publisher but i don't find him..

JabReunionIsland

Post by JabReunionIsland » March 17th, 2020, 11:06 pm

[/quote]

Hello, yes i want to make it into a film..

CSCO

Post by CSCO » March 18th, 2020, 12:49 am

Hi,

JabReunionIsland wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 11:06 pm
]/quote]

When JavaScript is enabled, you can quote it. By the way, you are a student, aren't you? ABS (Holy Bible publisher) grants free quotations less than 1,000 verses from the CEV Bible. You never can tell with publishers. In other words, if you fill some conditions, you could be granted a right to film the novel. For a campus festival? For your graduation work? If your film is not for commercial use, it's worth to send the e-mail.

The negotiation is a part of your studies, isn't it? I suppose the auther's family would grant the permission to you gradly. If not, you are free from the trouble now.
Last edited by CSCO on March 19th, 2020, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!

CSCO

Post by CSCO » March 18th, 2020, 1:14 am

JabReunionIsland wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 11:03 pm

Hello, yes, I want make it into a film and i desperately want to contact her publisher but i don't find him..
You know the publisher's name because you have the paper book.

You can google the publisher. You can find the web site. Now, you can send the e-mail from 'Contact Us'.
That's your heart.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » March 18th, 2020, 4:11 am

PD stands for public domain which means it is out of copyright
Nobody here gives out copyright laws especially for non USA residents - you need a lawyer. But you might be able to find the publisher via google and they may be able to help you

Anne

ej400

Post by ej400 » March 18th, 2020, 8:53 am

JabReunionIsland wrote:
[/quote]

If you are planning to make it into a film, I'm not sure many of us here know where to go with that (myself included). We record audiobooks here, not creating films. There may be some people here who know where to point you in the right direction though :D

JabReunionIsland

Post by JabReunionIsland » March 22nd, 2020, 10:19 pm

CSCO wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 12:49 am
Hi,

JabReunionIsland wrote:
]/quote]

When JavaScript is enabled, you can quote it. By the way, you are a student, aren't you? ABS (Holy Bible publisher) grants free quotations less than 1,000 verses from the CEV Bible. You never can tell with publishers. In other words, if you fill some conditions, you could be granted a right to film the novel. For a campus festival? For your graduation work? If your film is not for commercial use, it's worth to send the e-mail.

The negotiation is a part of your studies, isn't it? I suppose the auther's family would grant the permission to you gradly. If not, you are free from the trouble now.
Hello, I'm not a student. and it will be not for commercial use, i hope for Festival, but i need to pay my team, and to have french grant i need an "option" it's an agreement of the publisher.. I recently succeed to contact Katherine MacLean's son, i'm waiting his answer but i didn't find the publisher.. 1953 it's very old guys it's hard to know who i need to contact..

JabReunionIsland

Post by JabReunionIsland » March 22nd, 2020, 10:26 pm

CSCO wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 1:14 am
JabReunionIsland wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 11:03 pm

You know the publisher's name because you have the paper book.

You can google the publisher. You can find the web site. Now, you can send the e-mail from 'Contact Us'.
Hello,
It's seems to be very easy for you.. do it .. https://www.noosfere.org/livres/niourf.asp?numlivre=703
i contact the french publishing house, they can't help me
And i don't find in google
That's why i try to find help here..

Thanks you for your help

Regards

JabReunionIsland

Post by JabReunionIsland » March 22nd, 2020, 10:30 pm

annise wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 4:11 am
PD stands for public domain which means it is out of copyright
Nobody here gives out copyright laws especially for non USA residents - you need a lawyer. But you might be able to find the publisher via google and they may be able to help you

Anne
Hello Anne,

that's my question here, if someone here know her publisher..

You know it's more easy to google it, than come in this forum to find help..

Grégoire