Katherine MacLean « Games » 1953 copyright help & contact

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
schrm

Post by schrm » March 23rd, 2020, 5:30 am

JabReunionIsland wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 10:30 pm
if someone here know her publisher..

You know it's more easy to google it, than come in this forum to find help..

Grégoire

hi grègoire,

i google the title and author name and found it in wikipedia:

"Games" (1953). A boy becomes the characters in his make-believe games. Originally in Galaxy Science Fiction (March, 1953). Available online

according to wikipedia, the magazine galaxy science fiction existed until 1980.

you wrote that you contacted a french publisher?
and they couldn't help you?
there is something wring, as a publisher has to contact the company, who inherited the rights of the magaizine, and/or the family.
no company can publish something without this - you yourself are trying to find out.

do you have a local artist interests group or administration?
maybe they can help?
(in austria and germany, we have something like this and can even pay a fee to them, and they organize everything. also when informations are needed: that would be easier, instead of you trying to find out, who has the rights.)

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, rousseau, hoffmann: sommerfrische

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 23rd, 2020, 5:53 am

If you haven't discovered it yourself yet, I'll say that we cannot help you. We don't have the knowledge you require.

There's a very, VERY small chance that someone who has made a work using an obscure story from a magazine that no longer exists will come along and see this question, and answer you on how you get permission from a publishing house that doesn't exist in order to make a film about it. But I can pretty much guarantee you that no one currently reading this thread has any clear idea.

We at LibriVox are all volunteers. We have no paid staff. We have no copyright lawyers or other experts that we call upon to give us this kind of information, because we do not do this kind of thing.

We never ask permission for the use of something still by law under copyright, because we only work with stories that are clearly out-of-copyright. The questionable stories, such as sci-fi from old, defunct magazines, we rely upon Project Gutenberg to verify their copyright status. But that is irrelevant in your case, because the story you want to use is clearly under copyright for you.

Therefore, I think you're out of luck when it comes to asking US about how to get permission to use a copyrighted story. Sorry!
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David